Lacewood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Has anyone ever used any Lacewood? I just bought some from Steve Wall. What kind of finish works well on it (it's too expensive to experiment on)? I plan to use it as a top on a demilune table. The legs and rails will be walnut.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Has anyone ever used any Lacewood? I just bought some from Steve Wall. What kind of finish works well on it (it's too expensive to experiment on)? I plan to use it as a top on a demilune table. The legs and rails will be walnut.

I've used it for decorative insets on a crib I built for my daughter. It is awesome looking when finished ... everyone who has seen the crib in person has commented on the insets. See my photo album for a couple pics.

Let us know what you use it for ...

woodguy1975

New User
John
I've used it for decorative insets on a crib I built for my daughter. It is awesome looking when finished ... everyone who has seen the crib in person has commented on the insets. See my photo album for a couple pics.

Let us know what you use it for ...

Be careful with Lacewood. It has the same chemical compound as poison ivy and will sensitize you after a while. I got over exposed to it and broke out over 80% of my body. Not much fun. I broke out 4 times from the stuff in a matter of 3 weeks. Not fun.

Even though you have a finish on it Jeremy I would think it would not be a good idea to have it around a baby.

I won't allow the stuff in my shop.

John

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have recently done a table top of sofa/hall table with lacewood, and in fact I am working on three more tables with lacewood top. I love the look.

I have not heard about the poison ivy relationship mentioned in the post above; thankfully I have never shown any susceptibility to poison ivy, and I hope that continues to be the case! After this I think we will have enough lacewood table tops, and no more tables are on the horizon.

My limited experiments showed me that Boiled linseed oil darkened it too much for my taste. I believe I simply used Sealcoat (dewaxed shellac) in several layers. If I remember I may be able to get you some pictures of the difference, but I doubt they will show you too much.

Henry

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Be careful with Lacewood. It has the same chemical compound as poison ivy and will sensitize you after a while. I got over exposed to it and broke out over 80% of my body. Not much fun. I broke out 4 times from the stuff in a matter of 3 weeks. Not fun.

Well, that's interesting ... and a bit concerning. I just did some internet research and there are reports from woodworkers about it's painful abilities.

Luckily I worked with it and didn't have any reaction ... but I think I might leave it alone for now on.

Does anyone know if there are possibly multiple kinds of wood called "Lacewood" by common name? From what I've read it's the Australian tree that is the most notorious -- but it grows in Arizona too.

Lacewood:craft & exotic lumber reads "Be careful when working with it as the sawdust can cause skin irritation or respiratory problem. This is especially true if the wood is green."

I'd like to learn more ... :eusa_thin

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Woodguy, is a dust mask sufficient protection from allergic reactions? You've got me worried as I can look at poison ivy and get it.

timsparents

New User
Roger Goldman
Larry -
I've used lacewood quite a bit both as an edging, inlay, and solid surface. I've not had any reactions to it, myself, but that doesn't mean it isn't a problem. I would guess that there are quite a few varieties of Lacewood, as that seems to be the case in most/all wood species I've ever been exposed to. Maybe some are more reactive than others. I've also used Leopardwood, which is similar to Lacewood, but with a slightly different figure and pattern. As far as finishing, I've had good results both with a Polymerized Tung Oil Varnish product (though difficult to apply), and also by using a good sealer (2 coats, preferably a good shellac sealer) followed by good old polyurethane.
Hope this helps -
Roger

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
It is beautiful stuff, but has a bad reputation due to the toxic compounds.

An alternative to lacewood is rose sheoak or leopardwood or south american beefwood.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I wore a dust mask and a tyvex suite and still broke out. The danger is getting it in the area of your bodie where you sweat.

Remember it is a sensitizer. You may not break out the first, second, or third time, but when you do you will break out from there on. Poison ivy is the same way. Most don't break out the first exposure.

I had a very bad reaction to it and I was only working with it on a small project.

Just be careful. Keep exposed skin covered and a dust mask on.

John

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
This is VERY interesting .... worth a read ...
Wood Hazards

And this one
http://old.mendelu.cz/~horacek/toxic.htm

Woodguy - Thanks for the caution and concern. I am going to do a fair amount of research of this to see what else I can find. Worse case, I am going to try to pull the lacewood from the crib (not sure how yet).

Looks like many of the woods we use are dangerous from this list -- so all beware. :5badair:

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
most domestic species are pretty benign if proper precautions are used. The denser, oily species seem to cause more issues especially respiratory because of the finer particulates, the oil or phytotoxins exuded or amount of silica in the wood.

cedar is more toxic than oak bacause of the aromatic oil and fine dust
walnut more toxic than oak bacause of the juglon
poplar problematic because of the fine dust

on and on..

J

jeff...

Don't know much about exotics but I can say handling white oak turns my hands blue 8-O

hannah01

New User
Joe
I recently made a small frame from lacewood and thankfully had no problems as far as irritation goes. Never had poison ivy though, either.

I inlayed some Rosewood-Madagascar strips in the frame and used some tung oil tinted with a dark walnut stain. I wanted to darken it, but thought this might be too much. Believe it or not, it looks great and still pops the grain.:eusa_danc

I would go with Waterlox if you wanted to preserve the natural color of the Lacewood and enhance the grain.

In regards to cribs, everything I've read and heard say to stick with domestic hardwoods. Less chance of any reactions to the wood that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors