I spent too much time on my cross cut sled

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
I made the fences out of a board I got out of a trash pile. Do'nr know what kind of wood it is but it looks nice. The bottom is 3/4 mdf.

I put stops for both directions to save the fences

The rounded edge is for a miter fence that I have not figured out how to mount yet. I made the sled too narrow and I can not clamp a miter fence from underneath.

Attachments

• DSCF2078.jpg
    DSCF2078.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCF2079.jpg
    DSCF2079.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 201

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That has got to be the most unique and cool looking X-cut sled I've ever seen. It's like the Volkswagen Beetle of sleds. Spending time making a quality tool that will help you make quality projects over and over again, is time well spent.

Dave:)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Nice Work John. It sure does look pretty.

Does it cut square????? :rolf::rolf::rolf::rolf:

Just kidding. I do like your handle design. A very nice feature. The blade guard on the back is a good idea too. :)

Monty

New User
Monty
I really like that handle placement - keeps the hands out of harm's way! What are the slots on the right side (as you're facing the sled) for?

cskipper

Cathy
Great looking sled! I know that LOML has found his to be invaluable - can't spend too much time making something that makes your life easier!

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
The blade guard was becessary to keep my large belly from geting in the way. The two slots are for hanging the sled from the ceiling. I used two of those plastic coated hooks that have screw threads on then to put into the ceiling. The finish is BLO two coats of clear gloss varnish and one coat of satin varnish.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very cool looking. Spent a lot of time, but I am sure you learned a lot, and better to practice on shop fixtures than a furniture project.

Very ergonomic.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Your beautiful sled is the exception to the rule, "Garbage in, Garbage out". You've transformed one man's trash into a real treasure.

I really like the hand holds. I need to follow your lead and build a better sled.

Chuck

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
It is my way of learning. Kind of like the old time woodworker/cabinet maker tool boxes where the quality of the tool chest was an advertisement of his ability.

Now, I have to "produce for LOML, marital maintenance stuff. "Honey, you spent two weeks making your pretty sled. When are you going to finish my book cases? It would be really nice if they were ready when my Mother comes to visit."

What LOML does not know is that I am finishing a work bench top that I can also put a mattress on. More comfortable than the "dog house. We have small dogs. I told her that I needed a large flat surface so I can finish the bookcases which is true.

Thanks guys!

J

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
John, that is too funny. My workbench is bigger than the cot I used to sleep on, and outdoors, too, so I don't have the weather protection of the dog house. :crybaby2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS