I have a question about a old folding rule?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
Well I have this old Folding Rule that my grandpa gave to me & it has this little brass ruler in it I have no idea what its used for best I can figure is its a depth gauge! I asked him & he couldn't tell me so I figured who better to ask than the great people on this site! Here's a picture! Oh & thanks for your Help everyone!

ruler_Small_.JPG

gator

George
Corporate Member
Not only as a depth gauge but also for inside measurements that were not multiples of the 7" section length. Say you had a cabinet that was 25" inside dimension; you could unfold three sections and then extend the brass bar which would be out 4"; thus, 3 x 7 + 4 would give you the 25" measurement. Hope this is a little clearer than mud!:eusa_pray:eusa_pray

George

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
:slap: That Makes soo much sense now! Thank you soo much for clearing that up for me! I'll make sure I tell my grandpa he'll det such a kick out of it he'll probably want it back!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've found it helpful for scratching those itches I just can't reach. Plus that keeps folks from wanting to borrow my ruler :eek:
Sorry I couldn't add anything more on top of the excellent info you already have received.

Dave:)

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It makes a handy scribe for rough ripping. Also, most old timers would write their initials or name in the dado behind the brass. I've used it for all the items mentioned above & miss the old folding rule days........ Keep the joints oiled & dry or you'll have to get it 'calibrated'.:gar-La; A racking rule can't be trusted.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I was gonna add what Mike said,but since he said it quite well I will say that it works at checking cabinet carcasses better that anything else.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
DaveO couldn't find anything to add!!!!!!
I'm hoping someone marks this one the calendar~
I have no clue where he comes up with his information, but I always look forward to his posts and his take on things.
I wonder if they even make these anymore.
I've got my dad's. Yep, thanks for asking I appreciate the memories!

M

McRabbet

<snip>
I wonder if they even make these anymore.
I've got my dad's. Yep, thanks for asking I appreciate the memories!

Indeed, they are still made -- $16 and change at Amazon.com They are great rulers -- I just wish they made an inside reading version, but I don't think they every have.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Inside reading rules were made for sheet metal work. I think Lufkin quit making them years ago (the Lufkin Red End was always considered top of the line). Craftsman made them for a few years afterwards, but I'd think you'd be hard pressed to find a new one today.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Indeed, they are still made -- $16 and change at Amazon.com They are great rulers -- I just wish they made an inside reading version, but I don't think they every have.
Starrett still makes the inside read rule. It's all I use for measurements under 6'. I like the inside read because the ruler lays flat.

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalog/groups.asp?GroupID=264

I got mine from hartville Tools a while back, I don't see the inside read on their site now.
(I see Amazon has them, but $5 more than I paid at Hartville. be sure to get the 'F' version for inside read.

http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-Sx40f-Flat-Inside-Rules/dp/B0002FUL20

DaveD

New User
Dave
I've got a couple of them and like them when I'm building something wheremost dimensions are under 3 feet or so. I also have one that is specific to laying courses of brick. Multiple scales on it based on how high you want your courses of brick to be.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I have had a couple of them over the years, inherited from my grandfather and father. It was always neat watching my dad use it. He would pull it out of his pocket deftly unfold, measure, and quickly fold it back up again. Of course, on more than one occasion, when I would try to imitate my father, it would pinch my fingers. :BangHead:

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Cooper tool in Apex still makes the folding rules, I got one direct from them last yesr. I always use them for anything less than 6 ft.
dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors