Hybrid table saws

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy

New User
Big Daddy
Hey. I'm a fresh member of NCWW. I am building a new shop and I have to buy a whole bunch of tools. Please don't cry for me- I'll be okay. I've identified the new "hybrid" tablesaws as the best fit for my needs (unless anyone knows of a lonely Unisaw in some elderly widow's garage). I've done a fair bit of research on the Delta and the Craftsman. I've never been a fan of Sears for woodworking tools, but I'm reading great things about this saw- #22124. Do any of you have either the Delta or Craftsman, or perhaps a similar saw in that $ range you'd buy instead, and care to offer me some guidance? I'd love it if you would. -Big Daddy

R

rickc

Welcome! Persoanlly, I use a Rigid TS3650. Do a search on this site and check out some of the information and key links about the saw. It has proven to be a very good value for me and several others on this site.

Good luck on putting your shop together. When I started out I bought some "inexpensive" tools to "see what I liked". What I found was the better quality tools let me find out what I really enjoyed. While some of the inexpensive tools worked, they were not as easy to use, and actually took away from the experience.

In any case, enjoy the shopping!

Big Daddy

New User
Big Daddy
Thanks for sending me to the table saw thread. Exactly what I was looking for. I know the Ridgid. I've read the reviews. Sounds like a helluva cutter, and it was my first choice before I heard about the hybrids. I'm trying to be open-minded. How's the dust with the Ridgid? -Big Daddy

R

rickc

The saw comes with a built in 2 1/2 dust collection port. I have hooked it up to my DC system, reducing form 4" to 2 1/2". It does a good job. Still get some dust on the table top itself, (short of a wind tunnel effect don't know how that could be avoided). However, I am very happy with it. I recall you said you lived in the Chapel Hill area, I live in Cary. If you want to come by some weekend or evening I would be glad to show it to you. I liked that it was left tilting, had the DC port, cast iron top, nice fence and especially the Hercu-lift. My shop is half of a garage, so I need to move it around quite a bit so the mobility was a major factor. Be sure and check out the website where you can also find the owner's manual.

P

PrplHrtJarHead

Welcome Big Daddy and sorry to use your thread for this question....I am a newbie to more than just this website.

While I have some decent experience, I am not up to speed on the tools. What is a hybrid table saw?

I am retired military and have the good fortune to use a 1st rate shop aboard Camp LeJeune. The table saws there look pretty typical to me. I am curious as I will be building my own shop and looking to outfit it as well. That is once I make something worthwhile and my wife agrees that I could make a little money at my new found hobby/obsession.

By the way. I've been looking for a name for the affliction I've had for the last 30 years....Wood Guy Disease about sums it up.

Thanks.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I can't speak from experience on any of the saws you have mentioned but I have seen the reviews on all of them. The most important thing to keep in mind is the saw needs to meet YOUR needs, now and in the future. I stress your needs because that is what really matters. If you do a lot of big work, your needs will be different from someone who does a lot of small work. The Rigid, Craftsman and Delta are all good products. You could also get into a true cabinet saw with the Grizzly 1023 in that same price range. It has also consistantly received good reviews.

I have done just fine with a contractor saw for 10 years. I upgraded to the extended rails and can handle up to a 50" width. I plan to upgrade in the next year. For the work I do, I will move up to a true cabinet saw. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Grizzly 1023.

M

McRabbet

Big Daddy -- Welcome aboard... I agree completely with Steve on his sage advice -- get the saw that best meets your needs. I sensed a real yearning to become a true victim of Woodguy Disease (do a search on member Woodguy1975 if you don't understand this global illness) when you mentioned a Unisaw. :saw: Well, I have a Grizzly 1023SLX and can attest that it's a honey of a saw (especially with the Forrest Woodworker II blade I have on it). I've had it for a year and a half (cost was $1125, now is $1295, but it's on sale for under $1200 right now -- see http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.aspx?itemnumber=G1023SLX). It cuts true, fast and smoothly. Get one if you can, but if it is too big (the SLX has 7' rails for the fence and can rip to 53"), then get the standard model (http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.aspx?itemnumber=G1023SL). As a left-tilting cabinet saw, you can't beat 'em. :icon_thum . Yes, I like Grizzly tools; I've got several in my shop and have visited their PA store (see my gallery).
Steve D said:
I can't speak from experience on any of the saws you have mentioned but I have seen the reviews on all of them. The most important thing to keep in mind is the saw needs to meet YOUR needs, now and in the future. ... You could also get into a true cabinet saw with the Grizzly 1023 in that same price range. It has also consistantly received good reviews.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Grizzly 1023.

Big Daddy

New User
Big Daddy
PrplHrtJarHead said:
Welcome Big Daddy and sorry to use your thread for this question....I am a newbie to more than just this website.

While I have some decent experience, I am not up to speed on the tools. What is a hybrid table saw?

PHJ-
I'm no expert on this, but my understanding of what constitutes a "hybrid" is basically any saw that combines the most popular features of a contractor saw and a cabinet saw. Most are basically contractor saws (trunnions attached to the tabletop, e.g.) sitting on a cabinet instead of legs, which improves dust collection. The Craftsman takes a step closer to being a cabinet saw by mounting the trunnions to the cabinet. The real advantage to these saws is price. All are under $1k, and I read a thread on this site about guys catching the C-man under $700.

Thanks to rcorne01 for the invite to see your saw. Is there anyone reading this in the Triangle who is using the Craftsman, Delta and Grizzly who wants to show them off? I could make a weekend out of this!

Thanks to everyone for your time and effort to share your experience and opinions.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've had the 22124 for a year now and have been very happy with it. It is the home shop saw, as far as I'm concerned. Orion (the manufacturer) is all about customer service. It took 3 Biese fences before they got it right. You are welcome to come by and check it out.

Joe

Last edited:

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I also have the 22124. So far its been a great saw. I have had it for a couple months now. If there are any problems Orion will take care of quickly. I think for the money you can't go wrong. I would also wait until that saw is on sale for Craftsman club days or something like that (which it may be right now). I think after it was all said and done I didn't pay much more than 600 bucks for this saw after all of the discounts......it was on sale, plus craftsman club, plus and extra 10 percent off coupon or something like that. I was very suprised. Dust Collection is pretty good with the saw. If I can help anymore just let me know.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
OK, here's my $0.02...
I've seen the DeWalt DW746 up close and it look solid. Before I stole my Uni, that's what I was saving for. I know that somebody here's got one because I remember seeing it in the background of a picture. It may be DavidF (maybe we'll find out after he gets back from his cruise). I've seen factory reconditioned ones for $649 plus shipping ($150 IIRC) on ebay without rails. I've read quite a few reviews on it and they all claim it to be a stellar saw.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Yes DavidF has one and so do I.

This is mine
TSonMobileStand800.jpg

It's a great saw and the sliding table its greatest feature. But, If you buy it with the sliding table, the cast iron wing and Dewalt 50' extension, Then you could have bought a 3 HP uni:roll:

woodguy1975

New User
John
PrplHrtJarHead said:
By the way. I've been looking for a name for the affliction I've had for the last 30 years....Wood Guy Disease about sums it up.

Hehehehehehehe, the disease has been around. Now that we understand it, we can easily get temporary releif of the symptoms by buying a large tool. It's not a cure, but sure is fun. :D

sapwood

New User
Roger
Big Daddy,

I have a 10 plus year old Grizzly 1023 acquired about a year ago. As I didn't/don't have much woodworking experience the purchase was extremely lucky :) Newer models have a better fence and dust collection, but the saw is a rock. You're welcome to stop by and check it out. I live near Southpoint mall :)crybaby2:).

Sapwood

M

McRabbet

sapwood said:
I live near Southpoint mall :)crybaby2:).

Sapwood

Gee, if I'd only known...:-( I lived in Woodcroft for 18 years before my move to Paradise* here in the Mtns... Bought my 1023SLX since moving in 2004 and really love it...:-D

* Great views, no traffic, 800 SF cozy shop vs 1/2 of a very cold or hot garage.

Big Daddy

New User
Big Daddy
Hey, Sapwood,

I think I'll take you up on that offer to see your Grizzly. I'm new at this online forum stuff, so what is the protocol for sharing contact info? I don't want to commit a fox pass.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Big Daddy said:
Hey, Sapwood,

I think I'll take you up on that offer to see your Grizzly. I'm new at this online forum stuff, so what is the protocol for sharing contact info? I don't want to commit a fox pass.

We use the International Stop by the Shop Protocol established during Geneva Convention :cool:

I'll PM you my phone number and you provide me with all you credit card PINs. :eusa_shhh

PM is on the way :mrgreen:

Sapwood

thebeaver

New User
Bob Beaven
I have a Delta Unisaw which is great (especially with the Forrest blade). I would go with a cabinet saw. Grizzley is the best value on the market for anyone looking for machines with bulk.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Dewalt has an awesome sliding table but my upgraded Griz still does great. You can see it in my gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS