Gun Cab Delivered!! Few pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtomasch

New User
David
Re: Gun Cab WIP Pics

Chuck,
Thats a mighty fine piece. What type of hinges are you using. I need some advice for my entertainment center.

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Chuck,
Thats a mighty fine piece. What type of hinges are you using. I need some advice for my entertainment center.

David, I got some 1/2 inch overlay Blum hinges from Woodcraft. BLUM Face Frame Hinges The ones I got were the #02R85. I practiced on two pieces of scrap. This was my first time using a Euro style hinge. They worked out fine, the door is square to the frame and I didn't have to fuss with it at all.

Tom (Toolferone) recommended a self centering drill bit set and I can't believe how easy it makes hinge installation. The bit doesn't move at all (thanks, Tom).

Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Well, it's slowly coming along. Managed to get the feet on, made a transitional molding piece, glued it up and performed touch up sanding.

I wiped on stain today using a batch that Mike (mshel) had made me. It's a burnt umber base in turpentine. I have mentioned several times that I don't like stain. Well, I'm gonna revise my stance. This stain looks absolutely beautiful. The stain applies smoothly, a matched tone is easy to achieve. It has really brought out the grain and has made the entire piece a uniform attractive color. :-D

Pics attached.

Now I must figure out the PC PSH-1 sprayer I bought a while back. I'm going to spray lacquer for the topcoat. I bought a gallon of Mohawk Clear WW lacquer, satin. This will be the first time I've sprayed lacquer. Does anyone have any suggestions for settings, etc?

Chuck

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 185

John_LA

New User
John Lach

Really nice looking cabinet Doug :eusa_danc
Can't wait to see it with the finish on it.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley

Looking great my friend. But where are the pics of the upper half? The color is right on IMHO. Can't wait to see the finished piece. You should consider spraying a coat of sealer on the whole piece prior to shooting lacquer. Just my opinion.

Mike

MarkW

New User
Mark

Very nice Chuck ! I do like that stain. Did you just sneak up on the color or was there a recipe ?

I have been building a bed for my daughter and that seems to be the color she has been asking for.

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Very nice Chuck ! I do like that stain. Did you just sneak up on the color or was there a recipe ?

I have been building a bed for my daughter and that seems to be the color she has been asking for.

Mike (Mshel) was the brains behind the effort. I believe he's been working with stains for a little while. We wiped on different stain recipes from his private stash. He can provide the details. IIRC we used burnt umber for one sample, van dyke brown for a second, burnt umber with rose lake for a third. I supplied the samples to the customer and he liked the burnt umber. From there Mike just made me a batch using the burnt umber and turpentine.

Here's a link to Sal Marino's home page. Scroll down and click on "How to Make your own oil stain". Also look at stain recipes.

Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck

hey Chuck, link kinda missing there:roll:

oops! :eusa_doh: Here's the home page.
Sal Marino

Scroll down to select "Stain Formulas" and also :How to Make your own oil stain". Mshel can let you know what he uses for the pigment. Turpentine works fine for a carrier.

Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Re: Lower Cab is Done

Applied final lacquer coat last night. Rubbed lightly with steel wool and cleaned with cloth. Customer will wax if so desired. :lol:

It's a good feeling to be halfway there. Now I need to tackle the top! :-D

Chuck

Attachments

• IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0092.JPG
    IMG_0092.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 161

chris99z71

New User
Chris

That looks awesome, Chuck! I can't wait to see the top!
Thanks for the stain recipe page too.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Chuck, from the pics you have done an OUTSTANDING job!

How did you finally do your locks?

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Chuck, from the pics you have done an OUTSTANDING job!

How did you finally do your locks?

I used cam locks. The sets came with an offset cam lever, which will work for the drawers, and a straight cam lever. I bent the straight cam lever just to rig it for now. The metal is fairly soft so I will mark a piece and bring it into work. We have a metal brake so I can bend an offset that will look nice and be functional.

I fully agree with your earlier comment about how flimsy these locks are. They will not slow down a thief but will definitely keep honest folks/kids out.

Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck

I got back in the shop this weekend (between basketball games) and managed to get the upper cabinet frame cut out. I dry fit the face frames front and rear and finished the raised panel sides. RP pics attached.

The side frames are 59"H x 17" W. The panels are 54"H x 14"W. I intend to rout mortises and use false tenons (homemade loose tensons) on the rail ends to add more glue surface than the 3/8 stub tenons standard with my RP bit set. I thought about adding a center rail behind the raised panel, M&T into the stiles for strength and to keep the stiles from moving (bowing) with moisture change.

Do you think the loose tenons top and bottom are enough? The bottom tenon will be 2"W x 1/4 thk. The top 3"W x 1/4 thk. Mortise depth 3/4 inch.

The cab rear will be 1/2 ply, glued into dados in the rails/stiles to add strength.

I'll post a few more pics later this week when I start gluing up. I'm going to be getting intimate with my ROS for a while first! :lol:

Chuck

Attachments

• both panel small.JPG
    both panel small.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 173
  • panel closeupsmall.JPG
    panel closeupsmall.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 154

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
Re: Gun Cab WIP ...Update

Great job Chuck. Good to see you have a router to do your raised panels with. Having the right tools make a big difference.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Looking good. I think you will have more than enough strength with what you are doing.

I am a bit concerned though.

From your pics, your shop seems to be quite clean and free of debris, sawdust, etc, and fairly well organized. Very disturbing to me. I do not feel right unless there is something on the floor for me to trip over.

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Looking good. I think you will have more than enough strength with what you are doing.

I am a bit concerned though.

From your pics, your shop seems to be quite clean and free of debris, sawdust, etc, and fairly well organized. Very disturbing to me. I do not feel right unless there is something on the floor for me to trip over.

Well, I'm not commenting on how the remainder of the shop looks. It's all about framing the right view, huh? :lol: :lol:

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS