Griz BS Extension Arrived! Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve W

New User
Steve
My Griz 6" extension arrived by Brown Truck yesterday, and I'm chomping at the bit to get it installed.

I notice in the instructions that they say that the top half of the saw "represents a heavy load" and to get assistance. My question here is, about how much does this part of the saw weigh? I just need an approximation. I've trashed my back in the past and don't like to abuse it, but lifting 50 lbs or so is not really a problem for me.

I know that the whole unit is about 175 lbs as it is, but that's the bottom, base, motor and table in addition to the top.

Is this something I can do without bugging my wife for help?

Thanks, folks!

:kermit: Steve

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Mine is "on the truck for delivery" and should be there soon. My understanding is that one person could lift it, but it needs to be positioned accurately and bolted in while being supported.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Andy, I'll let you know how it fits. The extension itself is green, so it's a "universal" fit for all their saws, apparently. Mine's an old G1019 from the late 1980s (battleship grey) so the green is going to "stand out" a little :elvis:

Yeah, I reckoned that there may be some acrobatics, but I also notice that the mounting area in the top piece is open, meaning that you can pre-install the long bolt, then slide the top of the saw in, then snug it. It looks like you also have to take the table off so that you can align the wheels. It will provide me with some entertainment tonight after I get home.:mrgreen:

I still can't figure out how you're getting yours so much later than me when you ordered first. :dontknow:

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I have the G0555 14". The top part was not a killer or anything but it was heavier than I expected it to be and more importantly, was very awkward not to mention being up high in the first place.

A block/tackle would be great, especially putting it back together. It was very hard to get on, hold in place and then get the bolt going. At least 3 hands would help.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Steve,

It probably doesn't weigh more tha 75lbs or so, I did mine without a hitch. But the lift can be a little awkward because of the height, it definitely helps if you're taller. Give it a try if it doesn't go, then get a helper.

Good luck,
Jimmy:)

CarvedTones

Andy
I am just glad you let me know it was shipping so I could rattle their cage or I might still be waiting for it to ship. I have a late 80's saw also though it isn't a Griz; just supposedly has the same upper casting and should fit. I am getting a spacer made to go below to make the guard fit.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Indeed, the height makes the weight tricky and the weight imbalance (riser at back, wheel at front) makes it trickier. You will also need a third or fourth hand to get the nut on the bolt as you hold it too. Be careful!

Roger

RayH

New User
Ray
Steve,

As both a smaller and older guy I highly recommend a healthy eye bolt into an overhead joist and an inexpensive cable come-along hoist. With this and a tie-down strap I have installed the top half of my 14 inch band saw, the table on my table saw, and the bed on my jointer. Without help or pain the next morning.

Us old guys have got to be devious to survive.:gar-Bi

Good luck with your block installation.

RayH

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I did mine by myself, (5' 8", 155 lbs, 60 yrs old) but I removed the top wheel/ wheel shrouds, and upper roller guide assy first to lighten the load and make it less unwieldy and less vulnerable to getting banged up if I lost control of it. It would be easier to have a second set of hands to slide in the mount bolt while you hold the top in position, tho.

Go

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I'm 5'9" and o about 230:wrolleyes: I installed the same one. Did it by myself. Yes it can be done by one person, but 2 would be easier.

I did have a time getting the wheels to coplane after wards, but it can be done.

In fact I need to do it again cause I don't think it's right.

CarvedTones

Andy
I am just glad you let me know it was shipping so I could rattle their cage or I might still be waiting for it to ship. I have a late 80's saw also though it isn't a Griz; just supposedly has the same upper casting and should fit. I am getting a spacer made to go below to make the guard fit.

I am so confused. I don't need the spacer to make the guard fit. But I currently take a smaller blade and have less space unnder guides than most 14" saws (mine is a ThomCo). Where did the 1.5" go?
:dontknow:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mine is "on the truck for delivery" and should be there soon. My understanding is that one person could lift it, but it needs to be positioned accurately and bolted in while being supported.

Andy, give a yell when you are ready to do yours. I am right around the corner.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I am so confused. I don't need the spacer to make the guard fit. But I currently take a smaller blade and have less space unnder guides than most 14" saws (mine is a ThomCo). Where did the 1.5" go?
:dontknow:

Two possible reasons and could be a combination of both:
1. Wheel diameter: My General "14"" has wheels that are 13 3/4" diameter to the top of the tire.
2. Distance between wheel axles: Mine was approx 24 3/4 before riser and now is 30 3/4. (That is tensioned with 1/2" blade)

I use the standard 105" blade (93" without riser). Using the formula, the actual computed length is 92.7"/104.7" .

A wheel diameter of 1/2" less (13 1/4") or an axle/axle distance of 3/4" less length (24"/30") will result in a 1 1/2" shorter blade. Beings you said the under guide distance was shorter, the culprit is probably axle to axle difference altho the design of the table mount could also account for this.

The formula for blade length on a 2 wheel bandsaw is: wheel diameter x pi (3.14) + 2 times the axle to axle distance.

Hope this helps

Go

Steve W

New User
Steve
Well, thanks as usual for all the responses!

I got home and started taking it apart. One thing I came up with was lowering the guide all the way down until it rested on the table. Voila -- a fairly balanced load! Getting it back on without the table I just lowered it some more so that it rested on a bracket that normaly sits under the table. The top section only weighs about 25 - 30 lbs if that.

The bear is getting everything aligned! I think I've got it, but have noticed that the trunion that holds the top axle seems to have some slop in it (and it's fairly new, too!). Under tension, the wheel doesn't wobble, so I think it's just the usual Taiwanese bandsaw slop. Let me know if I'm wrong here.

I fired it up with no table and it seems to keep the blade on and it's quiet. It seems the blade rides closer to the edge of the bottom (drive) wheel than the top. I also noticed that the new blade guide is mostly round, while the original was hexagonal. It seems to be a little trickier keeping the round one aligned in the hex opening.

If anyone else has any suggestions on setting this up, I'd love to hear 'em! The wheels are in a straight line to a straightedge to within .025 I would say...

CarvedTones

Andy
I prolly outa be more patient, but mine is in progress. I am waiting for kids to get to sleep right now to get back out there. The top half is off and hanging from a garage door support by a come-a-long (thanks for the tip, Ray). The alignment holes don't match up as perfectly as I thought. The casting may match, but the holes are drilled in a later step. Mine are very close, but I am having to make some adjustment.

Thanks, Scott (the scroller) - I should have waited and taken you up on the offer.

I will report later about whether or not the blade can fit. I fear it will not.

CarvedTones

Andy
It's later!:wsmile:

Well, thankfully I was wrong about the blade. I am awfully near the top of the adjustable range, but the 105" blade will work. I think I was misled about the saw; it isn't short, but just horribly out of alignment. I noticed that when I put the 91" blade on, but didn't worry too much since I figured I would tune it better when I put the riser on. I had to shim the front edge of the riser with thin sheet steel to get the wheels lined up. The rear blade guard is perfect, but I still have to do some adjustments on the front blade guard (over the table). But I have the wheels lined up, the blade riding the crown on both wheels with good tension and a little over 11.5" under guides (and upper and lower guides are adjusted properly). Between what I paid for the saw and the riser kit, I am still under $150. I am pretty pleased with that.

G'night all...

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Steve I have the same Grizly Model. When I got my 6" riser kit, it came with a round guide too. Call them back up and they will send you the correct one no problem.

Steve W

New User
Steve
And I just reckoned "that was what it was today."

Thanks for the info, John. I'll be calling them when I get home (so I can pull the paperwork).

CarvedTones

Andy
Steve I have the same Grizly Model. When I got my 6" riser kit, it came with a round guide too. Call them back up and they will send you the correct one no problem.

I just emailed them to ask for a hex one also. I feel a little awkward about that since my saw isn't really a Griz, but I referenced their parts diagram:
http://www.grizzly.com/images/partslists/g1127_pl.pdf
where they clearly show a hex rod in the kit.

I gotta find something big to cut! :mrgreen: The only thing I really need anytime soon is resawing a 7" spruce board to make some instrument tops. I am making a single point fence out of a plastic roofer's square, a scrap of half round moulding and a short board (to clamp).

:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors