Fire at Scott's Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Scott,
I feel for you,I can't imagine how you feel.Like everybody before me ,if there is anything I can do or help you with,let me know.
Have you called Grizzly so they can ramp up there production?

Seriously,I am a electrician so if you need help with your electrical or anything else for that matter,don't hesitate!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Shocking photos and fire, Scott. No wonder you are numb.
You have been a wonderful contributor to NCWWer, so we look forward to any chance to help.

Roger

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
There are no words to express my thoughts.

I am glad no one was injured. As others have offered, let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Anything.

I sincerely hope you have sufficient insurance.

cptully

New User
Chris
Scott,

I am glad to hear that no one was hurt! I still remember the shock of getting the call that my MIL's house burned down several years ago. Unfortunately I was in Utah at the time and not able to provide much more than moral support to her then.

If you need a big crew for anything post a note and I'm sure many of us will jump into help. I too have way too much time on my hands right now:gar-La; as I am unemployed and not yet having much luck with the job hunt!:no:

Chris

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Scott- my sincerest condolences. I guess now it is time to think ahead. If you are adequately insured to replace the building and contents, then you have a rare opportunity to make an even better shop. In addition to inventories for the insurance company, start making a wish list of new tools and things you would do differently in the new shop etc. Maybe folks who have seen your shop will have some suggestions.

To all
- this brings up a number of issues I know most of you are now thinking about-

• Are my shop and contents adequately insured?
  • Do I need/have an inflation/replacement cost rider on my policy? How does that work with old iron?
  • Do I have a complete and accurate inventory? Don't forget to take good (digital) pics of every tool. Don't forget the little stuff, either- it adds up really quickly, especially precision measuring tools and tools like Lie Nielsen planes, etc.
  • What kind of firefighting equipment do I have in my shop? What should I have?
  • Should the shop have a sprinkler system? Should there at least be one in the wood storage and finishing/paint storage areas?
  • How do I dispose of trash, especially finishing supplies and rags contaminated with finishing materials? Where/how do I store my flammables?
  • Etc., Etc., Etc.
Unfortunately for Scott, but maybe fortunate for us, Scott should be able to add to this list and pass along some very valuable insights.

The end result maybe- a shop safety, security, insurance checklist? Something to keep in the archives?

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I hate to see or hear about anything like this and can't I magine what your dealing with. Our thoughts and prayers are with you Scott.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Absolutely horrible. I hope your current pain isn't compounded by a hassle from your insurance company. I hate to think how vulnerable we all are from all of those unattended electrical devices. Fans, chargers, sump pumps, power supplies for electronics, etc.- any of them could overheat and start fires.

I'm glad nobody was hurt.

-G

DavidF

New User
David
That is tragic Scott, I do hope you can get it sorted with the Ins Co. I might go home and take a few pics of my stuff - just in case...

J

jeff...

Scott, as you know I'm retired, so when your ready, I am there. Plus, the demo and rebuild can become a formal NCWW event(s).

Steve - I really like that idea - A big gang of guys can do a lot of work in a short amount of time and besides it's right in line with the spirit of site and membership community.

Thanks

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Scott,

Its is a horrible thing. I feel for your loss. Thank goodness no one was hurt. Thank goodness it was a standalone building.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Scott
I can't begin to imagine what that must feel like. I know I would be totally devastated. I am so sorry. Since I am retired, I would offer to come down from Mayberry and help in any way I could, but I just had knee surgery last week and will be out of commission for another 4 wks. Despite that, I will be glad to help in any way I can.
Again know that you are in our prayers and thoughts.
Jim in Mayberry

cskipper

Cathy
I don't know how I missed this thread. Scott, that is just too terrible for words. You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers. If there is some way in which I can help, please let me know.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Scott,
I am so sorry for your loss:gar-Cr - I am very thankful no one was injured - Let me know if there is anything I can do for you - you and your family will be in our prayers

Phillip

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Scott, I can't imagine how you must feel with the lost of a great WW'ing shop. I'm glad noone was hurt. I offer my help along with the others here if you need it.

jonnyfontaine

New User
Jonny
scott, i'm so sorry for your loss... i'm glad no one was hurt, i hope that goes for all your pets as well... if you need anything let me know, i'd love to return your generosity... sorry for your loss... jonny

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow...the pics are too much. I'm glad nobody was hurt.

I hope you reach a fair settlement with the insurance company and are able to find a way to turn a bad event into an opportunity for improvement.

Chuck

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Scott,
Sorry to hear of your loss. I came close to loosing my shop and house to fire from something I did in the shop a few years back. I live in fear of leaving an oily rag or something else causing a fire. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Rob

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Scott man I am so sorry to hear about your loss.I know I'm half way accross the state. But I hurt for you. As everyone has said IF there is ANYTHING I can do to help let me know.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Scott, I am also sorry to hear about the fire and the loss of your shop. If there is anything I can do, you got it. I guess none of us think about the items it our shop that can cause a fire. This is a reminder to take pictures just in case. Best of luck to you in the coming weeks. Hope all goes smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS