Finished Rocking Horse

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrytis

New User
Eric
I finally finished the rocking horse for my daughter. :eusa_danc It is hard maple, walnut, and cherry, finished with a coat of sealcoat and several coats of lacquer. The plans are from Family Tradition.

I made so many mistakes on this project that i lost track of them, from blowouts while routing to a screw head breaking off. :eusa_doh: Fortunately i was able to repair or conceal most of them, though some still show. I realized part way through this project that it was beyond my skill level, but considering that i'm fairly happy with how it turned out. A couple of things turned out better than i was expecting though, like the saddle which i didn't have a band saw to help shape.

It is about a month late since it was a Christmas present. On Christmas eve it was done except for some detailed sanding, finishing the booster step, and the finish, so it was under the tree Christmas morning. I worked much slower after Christmas, so i only completed it yesterday (about two months total time).

Thanks again to Tarhead for the use of his Domino to join the body.

In use on Christmas:

Finished:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mistakes? NOT!!!! All you have to do is look at that smile. There are no mistakes there.

GREAT JOB!!!!!!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
NICE WORK! My daughter absolutely LOVES the horse I made her by the same design. Every day she gives that horse a hug and takes it for a ride ... nothin' better than that!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Eric: FORGET the small stuff!

The look on your daughter's face is truly priceless. NICE job man! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I think it turned out great and would add, it is not beyond your expertise level because you finished it!

Congrats to the both of you, rider and builder!

Badabing

New User
Joe
Eric, there can't be anything better than creating a nice heirloom toy like that and putting a smile on your beautiful daughter's face too! Congrats on a great job :icon_thum

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Beautiful job, Eric...on the horse and your daughter!
I wish all my mistakes looked that good! Keep it up.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Eric,

It's already been said in this thread, but it bears repeating. The look on your daughter's face says that there are no mistakes in this project. It's beautiful. And thanks for sharing her smile with us.

Ray

botebum

New User
Doug
When I make mistakes(never happens:roll:) my daughters are the last ones to notice. I know what's there but all they see is "My daddy made this for ME!" You did a fantastic job and she will always cherish what you made for her and will tell her own children how important you are and use the horse as an example. You just made an heirloom- how does that feel?
You ROCK!

Doug

KC7CN

New User
Don
Eric, I made this rocking horse 10 years ago, for my grandson. And now I have two grandsons, and let me tell you, they can really make it horse rock! I was surprised that it didn't tip over! Don't be concerned about woodworking mistakes! You need to remember you're doing this for fun, and leaning along the way. I've been in the hobby for a long time, and tend to forget that I have not done something before, after I make a mistake or screw somthing up. LOML has to remind me I do this hobby for fun!

And your rocking horse looks great!

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors