Finish for western cedar

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Hello. I'm making a few picture frames out of western cedar - looking for a southwestern feel to match some family photos from a cross-country trip a few years back. I've never worked with it before, any suggestion on a good natural finish for them? Was thinking tung oil (my default choice), but not sure how that would work on such a porous wood. I don't plan to stain, just want to enhance/protect the color of the wood.

Tim

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Hi Tim, I have built one frame out of the WC and all I did was shoot it with some rattle can Satin Poly - enhanced the wood grain a little and it turned out ok - sorry I don't have a picture of it - put the poly will protect it as well -

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Just about any finish would work fine for this application. I probably wouldn't chose Tung Oil (true 100% oil) due to the long cure time. I am a big fan of a home brewed Danish Oil type finish which is roughly 1 to 1 to 1 ratio of BLO, MS, and Gloss Poly.
What kind of sheen level are you looking for??
Rattle can shellac and lacquer are also great choices.

Dave:)

Last edited:

sapwood

New User
Roger
. . . I am a big fan of a home brewed Danish Oil type finish which is roughly 1 to 1 to 1 ratio of BLO, MS, and Gloss Poly.
. . .

I'll second that.
Here's a western cedar project finished with BLO, MS, and Poly. Of course, after 2 1/2 years outdoors it doesn't look as good as this pic anymore, but it's holding up fine.

Roger

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
You might try Waterlox Marine finish. It's a modified oil finishthat builds well and has a much shorter cure time.
Robb

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
Ooops, didn't read Dave's response on kitchen top recommending Waterlox. I prefer the Marine finish over the original. Both good products! Think it gets slightly harder and cure time might be shorter. Definately better outdoors. I only spray conversion varnishes and lacquers now as delivery times too short for oils and rubbing. But sure do like the depth 5-6 coats of oils. Mostly use ML Campbel products.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Thanks for the tips. Newbie question - BLO and poly I know, but what's MS? That butterfly house(?) looks great, I'd be delighted if it comes out looking like that. My wife's been after me to build one, maybe that'll be the next project. I was looking for a semi-gloss finish. I've got both shellac and spray-on poly, so I'll experiment on some scraps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors