Finally Finished the Koi Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
This one took me a while but really wasn't that hard! I like the way the wood grain looks like the water!

koi1.JPG

koi2.JPG

Dave O tell me if you think one of your customers would like this!?!

jsjordan

New User
Joel Jordan
Jonathan -Awesome work my friend!!:icon_chee I really like the design and the way that you positioned the fish against the grain. It looks like the water is flowing around the fish. Great job!:eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
This one took me a while but really wasn't that hard! I like the way the wood grain looks like the water!

koi1.JPG

koi2.JPG

Dave O tell me if you think one of your customers would like this!?![/quote]

I don't doubt it one bit. Tomorrow I will show it off on the NCKWS (NC Koi and Watergarden Society) website, and see what folks think. You still have the pattern, right? You might be cutting a few more.
Dave:)

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
Dave thats soo Awsome I sure do still have the pattern & I'll work on some more water garden related patterns! do you have any ideas? oh & also what would you charge for a piece like that???

cskipper

Cathy
You did a terrific job on that! :eusa_clap You have good, clean lines and worked well with the grain of the wood. How many inside cuts? (isn't it amazing how it doesn't look like it will have as the inside cuts - usually until you start drilling the pilot holes!) How long did it take? What thickness is the wood? Did you stack cut? What blade did you use? What kind of finish did you you and how did you apply it?

Last edited:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Beautiful job, Jonathan!
As noted previously, you have a great eye for design. Although I like the way the grain emulates water, the fish itself exudes action :icon_thum

Roger

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
You did a terrific job on that! :eusa_clap You have good, clean lines and worked well with the grain of the wood. How many inside cuts? (isn't it amazing how it doesn't look like it will have as the inside cuts - usually until you start drilling the pilot holes!) How long did it take? What thickness is the wood? Did you stack cut? What blade did you use? What kind of finish did you you and how did you apply it?

Hey Cathy!

204 inside cuts the fins by far the toughest! I drilled all my pilot holes started cutting just to find out I missed a few pilot holes thats when I knew it was gona be a long day! but it ended up only taking me about a total of 10 hrs of putting it down from frustration & picking it up a few hrs later! its 1/4" in wood still not sure of the type & I used 11.5 TPI standard blade. I didn't stack cut it I should have but I will for the next one! no finish on it yet I just rubbed some mineral spirits on it to get rid of the dust & make the grain pop for the picture I plan on using high gloss poly or maybe wait til saturday & go pick up a few dyes & try a red to gold star burst effect with black in the grains & shalac as the finish to get that guitar look but I want to test it out on some scrap wood first! We'll see! Next project to finish is a picture of the duke! (john Wayne)

cskipper

Cathy
You did a great job on that - hard to believe you haven't been scrolling any longer than you have. Isn't it amazing how many inside cuts there turn out to be. Have you seen the Chinese Flower pattern by oldwes? I so want to try the first - but there must be a gazillion inside cuts. I finished cutting the 2nd one of his this weekend (like you- been working on it, walking away, going back to it, all week) out of Bolivian Cherry, I have to remember NOT to use that wood when I have a lot of inside cuts! What are the dimensions of the Koi? Do you plan on framing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors