Extravaganza- Support our Troops Pen Turning Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
Great Nick - I'm looking forward to turning with you. We need to encourage folks who want to try turning to jump in and we can all share our time. The folks who are assigned times will just need to stay in the room and be available to help new turners (on the odd chance someone new wants to try).

Monty

New User
Monty
Are there going to be more than 2 lathes?

I'm sure we have enough people to run three lathes at a time! I think due to space considerations, two lathes most likely be enough. Of course anyone can turn pens any time they like, like Cathy said.

Thanks again for all the volunteers who are helping to make this happen!

woodguy1975

New User
John
John, I know that you don't spray it in an unventalated area. But, having never been in in the Metro center, I have no idea what the faculities are like or what is available. I will bring the Mylands.
Is there anything else that is needed. Are there going to be more than 2 lathes?

I understand about not knowing the facility. It is just a conference room in the center so it is much more like an office space than a workshop. They will be putting down plastic where the lathes are. Klingspor's is being kind to share the room with us so I really want to make sure we do what we should be doing and not cause them headaches so we can return again next year. :)

It would be great if we could get another lathe or two for the room.

Anyone else willing to bring in a Midi lathe for the cause? I could see 4 lathes going pretty easily.

J

jeff...

If ya'll don't have enough blanks, I have some I would like to donate.

clowman

Clay Lowman
the 3 step finish process is 3 coats of sanding sealer, followed by 3 coats of friction polish, followed by 3 coats of carnuba wax..

woodguy1975

New User
John
Pen turners come up with all sorts of finish systems. LOL Now days they are making their own CA from melting plexiglass in acetone.

I've also got some Enduro WB lacquer if you want to wipe that on. Enduro is supposed to be a favorite among pen turners, but it does take a while for it to setup well enough to really rub out to a high sheen.

Thanks,

John

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I am with Cathy. I signed up for both time slots just so there would be 2 turners at all times. There will be plenty of time to share for anyone that wants to have a turn or to give it a try.:icon_thum

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Fixed that :eusa_whis . I also have some friction polish and some polish sticks that I can bring

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'll be there, and will give it a turn. I don't know if it will end up as a pen, but with y'alls expert guidance it just might :-D

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
OK... we're down to crunch time! Let's see, where do we stand.... :eusa_thin

1. Lathes - we'll have two midi lathes (Woodguy's and mine)

2. Turning tools - I know I'm bringing some, and Clay said he would. I'll have just a roughing gouge and maybe skew. Anyone else is welcome to bring theirs.

3. Grinder - I have an 8" grinder with a Wolverine jig I can bring.

4. Mandrels - we'll have one for each lathe (Woodguy's and mine). I better check to make sure my bushings are the right size! 8-O

5. Kits - I have seen a few people in this thread mention that they had kits they could bring. I will supply probably about 40 of these - will that be too much? Not enough? Regardless, please bring some slimline kits if you have them -- the more the merrier!!! :eusa_danc

6. Blanks - I don't have a drill press (yet ;)), and we won't have one at the show, so we need pre-drilled blanks which already have the tubes glued in them and trimmed to length ready to turn. Clay said he would provide 20 of these. Nick (NZAPP1) mentioned he had 10-20 he could bring. Jeff said he had some blanks to donate, but someone needs to glue & trim them for the show. Anyone else (whether you're turning or not) please bring some blanks to the show!!!

7. Sandpaper - Clay and Nick have said they will bring multiple grits and micromesh.

8. Finish - Clay and Nick said they will bring supplies for 3 step and CA finish.

9. Signs - done.

10. Pen assembly tool - Clay is bringing his.

So, the way I see it, what we need most are pen kits and prepared blanks. So, anyone coming to the show - please bring some kits and blanks if you can!!! We need plenty of raw materials to work with, to create a nice "sweat shop" atmosphere!

Are we missing anything else???

J

jeff...

I won't be at the show there, so if ya'll still need some blanks, I'll need to know where to send em to be prep'ed.

Thanks

Monty

New User
Monty
Thanks again for your offer Jeff. Hopefully someone will be able to work it out with you.

dozer

Mike
If I don't have to work Saturday will there be room for 1 more turner? I can bring my lathe and my own tools and supplies.

cskipper

Cathy
I'll bring my own turning tools and blanks if I have any drilled. I'm in kind of a time crunch right now to drill any more. BTW, I drill mine on my lathe instead of a drill press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors