Electrolysis help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I finally set up my tub and gave it a go today. While it seemed to work, it didn't seem to have the get up and go that I was hoping for. I was only able to get 3 amps no matter what I tried so thusly I am asking for those who have done this what should I expect to see providing I have the right seetup. My charger is a 12/2/100 amp model and I was using the 12 amp manual setting today. I have two electrodes 1" wide x 1/4" thick connected together iwth a length of 10 ga wire. Electrodes are on the side of the tub directly across from each other.

MIke

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Patience, my boy. Remember that a watched pot never boils, and a watched boy never pots. Give it about twenty four hours and you will see results.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
just for good measure I leave mine in for 24, after that I can basically wife of the rust with a rag. but most of the japaning comes off too but I intend on that anyway.

sapwood

New User
Roger
More 'trodes :mrgreen:
The two you have will work (just slowly), but to ramp up the amp add more electrodes. I used old lawn mower blades wired to each other. Started with two blades and when I added two more the amps almost doubled (increased surface area). Also vary the distance from the rusted object to the electrodes. Usually, the closer together they are, the stronger the current.

Just my $.02,

Roger (sorry you can't have my special hat :crybaby2: LOML took the pot back :lol:)

Last edited:

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i'm not sure what you're doing but if you add a little salt to the water that will help the current move. also more electrodes will help and the surface area. the slower the better and purer the metal build up though. if you're really interested i'm sure i can dig up some info in an old chemistry text from my college days.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Surface area of the electrode plays a major factor.

I used a thin sheets of steel that went around the interior perimeter of the tub.

One other thing I learned the hard was was good contact with the electrode. If it gets rusty, the contact isn't as good.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS