Drawer Slides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Anyone know what the most cost effective route is to get drawer slides for shop cabinets? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to spend more on slides than the cabinet.

hannah01

New User
Joe
You can make your own hardwood runners on the bottom or sides of the drawers and cut dados in the drawers to match the runners. They won't be as smooth or slick as manufactured slides, but they are inexpensive.

If the drawers are going to support a lot of weight, you might be better off to spring for good full-extension slides.

Sometimes people in office parks will set out old desks and cabinets as trash to be hauled away, if you are lucky you might be able to salvage all sorts of hardware from them.

Try looking at discount/salvage and wholesale building materials stores, too. I recently got some new 20" 100# full-extension ball bearing slides for $8/pair at a salvage place.:mrgreen:

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Cool deal I was surfiing ebay just a little while ago, and found some I think may be ok. I just don't need anything extremely fancy in the shop, but I do want them to be smooth.

Monty

New User
Monty
Also check out this place. I have not bought from them, but the prices look good (~$5 or less per pair for full extension). Give them a try and let us all know how they are! :mrgreen:

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Monty,

You may be on to something there. It may be a little while before I pick some up but I will definitely let you guys know.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have bought a bunch from wwhardware.com in the past. I have gotten to the point that I put full extension ball bearing slides in the shop cabinets. If you buy enough the price comes down, and it really only hurts to spend it for a little while.:lol:

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I know what you mean. I've just spent too much on other stuff lately, and have a couple other purchases coming up. Just trying to figure out the best way to get the job done! Thanks for the info.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I've been pleased with CSHardware also. They messed up one order and straightened it out nicely with no hassle.

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Johnson,
On all the furniture type project I have made, I alway go with making my own slides from red oak.

I cut the mating surfaces to 60°. When the drawer is ready to be used, I coat both contact surfaces with minwax paste wax.

They glide effortlessly, nearly forever. The oak doesnt wear either with the wax coating.

Below is an end view showing the profile.

slide.gif

cad

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
There is an article in Finewoodworking Magazine (June 2006 Issue) on page 52 called Side-Hung Drawer Slides. I was impressed with this article. Terry:eusa_danc

4yanks

New User
Willie
I use wooden slides in all my shop cabinets (similar to the type shown in FWW). They are cheap and easy to make. They do glide effortlessly and will support heavy loads. If you need full extension then you might want to look at manufactured slides made for that purpose.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Handturnedbowls said:
Johnson,
On all the furniture type project I have made, I alway go with making my own slides from red oak.

I cut the mating surfaces to 60°. When the drawer is ready to be used, I coat both contact surfaces with minwax paste wax.

They glide effortlessly, nearly forever. The oak doesnt wear either with the wax coating.

Below is an end view showing the profile.

slide.gif

cad

Dang cad, that is awesome,,i will have to do that in the shop when I get back. good looking out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS