Does anyone see a problem with this classified ad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I've tried to ignore this, but I can't. Does it bother anyone else that dancam won the router table and has turned around and put it up on the classified ads trying to sell it for an outrageous price considering he won it? I don't think it's right.

Does anyone else have a problem with this?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know the possibility of this happening did come up when the governing board discussed a raffle. I had hoped it would be won by someone who could really use it but.... It would have been nice if Dan had donated it back to NCWW but it is his fair and square to do whatever. I actually think his asking price is reasonable.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike,
I don't see a problem.
He bought a winning ticket. Since he already had a router table, he chose to sell the Kreg. Dan openly posted the reasons for his choice.

Of course, that's just my take :dontknow:
Roger

MikeH

New User
Mike
I saw the reason and I can see both sides. He did win it fair and square. I have to agree with Scott though. He knew when he won it that he already had a table that he liked. It would have been nice if he had either donated it back to NCWW or passed on the win and let someone else win.

Last edited:

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I don't know that I really have a problem with it. I guess I thought the purpose of the raffle was two fold, to give someone a chance at one heck of a nice RT and raise money for NCWW'er. I guess I would've sold it, with the proceeds going back to NCWW'er. But he did win it, so it is his to do with as he pleases.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
There is just one other point to consider. I do not know Dan or his personal situation. Maybe it is a money thing. Many folks are going pay check to pay check. Even more are having a tough time and are too proud to admit it.

sapwood

New User
Roger
:eusa_thin When DaveO won the Woodworking Source prize recently it wasn't a tool he needed. So he asked for and received another choice. Perhaps Dan is doing the same thing . . use the money from the sale to purchase something else. Plus, IMHO folks (including Dan) who purchased tickets were basically making a donation to NCWWer. The prize just made it more fun. :mrgreen:

roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I've had several conversations at length over this issue already. He won it, and it is his to do with as he choses. I would have preferred that if he knew he didn't want it, either call for another drawing or give it to someone who could really use it. But it is his right to sell it. He is offering a fair price for it. It's brand new and assembled, and the price is a good bit less than retail. I would rather see some one in our NCWW family get a good deal on it than some stranger on Craigslist. Although if it had been posted on CL, someone here would have found it, posted it and *****ed about why he didn't post it for sale here.

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

I honestly believe that Dan has every right to sell the table for 1/3 off -- and I know that he has already donated to the website during this latest drive as well as buying tickets for the raffle. He has a very good router table with a Jointech cabinetmakers fence and truly doesn't need a second RT. I would not fault him one bit. I know him personally and we talked about this after his initial post before he put it into the Classifieds. He has expressed concern about this very reaction from some members. He is not an "Indian giver", but he really doesn't need the prize. By putting it up for sale at a deep discount, I think he is being very fair.

I hope many of you will recall that another member here won the Klingspor big prize and he sold several items that were duplicates. Let's not lose sight that this raffle raised over $1,800 for the site -- if I didn't have a good shop-built router table with a Jointech Cabinetmakers fence on it, I might have made Dan an offer. Let's be adults and drop the sour grapes.

MikeH

New User
Mike
I honestly believe that Dan has every right to sell the table for 1/3 off -- and I know that he has already donated to the website during this latest drive as well as buying tickets for the raffle. He has a very good router table with a Jointech cabinetmakers fence and truly doesn't need a second RT. I would not fault him one bit. I know him personally and we talked about this after his initial post before he put it into the Classifieds. He has expressed concern about this very reaction from some members. He is not an "Indian giver", but he really doesn't need the prize. By putting it up for sale at a deep discount, I think he is being very fair.

I hope many of you will recall that another member here won the Klingspor big prize and he sold several items that were duplicates. Let's not lose sight that this raffle raised over $1,800 for the site -- if I didn't have a good shop-built router table with a Jointech Cabinetmakers fence on it, I might have made Dan an offer. Let's be adults and drop the sour grapes.

Thanks Rob. This is the reason I posted it here and not in the forum. I've been on the fence about it. I just wanted to see what others thought and I'm now off the fence and on the side of "he can do whatever he wants with it". :gar-Bi Thanks for the insight.

I ALSO JUST HIT 2400 posts!!! Wahoooo!!! :rotflm:

cskipper

Cathy
I've had several conversations at length over this issue already. He won it, and it is his to do with as he choses. I would have preferred that if he knew he didn't want it, either call for another drawing or give it to someone who could really use it. But it is his right to sell it. He is offering a fair price for it. It's brand new and assembled, and the price is a good bit less than retail. I would rather see some one in our NCWW family get a good deal on it than some stranger on Craigslist. Although if it had been posted on CL, someone here would have found it, posted it and *****ed about why he didn't post it for sale here.

Dave:)

Too true - especially the last sentence.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Dave and I discussed this by pm just the other night, I too initially had a concern with it being posted, but after Dave and I talked, I felt a lot better about it. It pays to discuss things with your peers. That is why this forum is here.

T

toolferone

SInce we all seem to be in agreement now, I wonder how many people who bought tickets already had a good router table. I love my table. I also feel it was a fun way to raise some money for NCWW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS