Couple of ebay planes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Why, it looks to be in pretty good shape. Not as good as the others that are offered, but it could be cleaned up easily. Just trying to learn more.
Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
well... that 5¼ has some characteristics of some of the newer/less desirable types... blue japanning, folded over lateral adjust lever instead of the 2-piece T-shaped lever, not to mention the hangy-hole thing. :eusa_naug I'm not really sure how useful the 5¼ size is, also. Nothing really wrong with that plane I guess, I just wouldn't buy it.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
The #7 was gone before I had a chance to even look at it. Someone hit the "Buy it now" button. It is a nice looking plane though.

D L

R

rickc

If you are interested in other options, Hartville Tool is running an interesting special. 6 piece handplane set - $159 plus s/h. A friend of mine got one of their planes and said it was pretty good. I believe these are made in India. You can check out the description of each one, individually, on their site as well. However, with a 6 piece set remember it means you will have 6 planes to get flatten, sharpen and get ready to use!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I saw that and wondered if it was at all worth while, the price is right, and it's a good collection, but I wonder about the quality :eusa_thin
Dave:)

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Maybe one will then add Rock/LN/LV blade after
fettled them?

rcorne01 said:
If you are interested in other options, Hartville Tool is running an interesting special. 6 piece handplane set - $159 plus s/h. A friend of mine got one of their planes and said it was pretty good. I believe these are made in India. You can check out the description of each one, individually, on their site as well. However, with a 6 piece set remember it means you will have 6 planes to get flatten, sharpen and get ready to use!

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I've got one of the India jobbies (#5) in my vast handplane collection (#5 and a block plane). All in all, not bad after I went through all of the trouble to tune it up. You definitely would want to invest in a better blade. Mine actually had a micro-crack in the middle of the cutting edge that took considerable sharpening to eliminate.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Looks for a perfect opportunity for a dummy to jump in with a question 8-O

Will a 5 1/2 plane function as a "Jack" plane??? I'm having uncontrollable urges to hog off a little more than my No. 4 or block plane allows :mrgreen:

Sapwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors