Completed walnut chest

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Please help me celebrate the completion of my newest project, a walnut secretary chest. The project is solid walnut with the side panel glued. I liked the look of cherry against the dark walnut when I put together the walnut nightstand so I follow that idea with this piece. This isn't from a pattern but comes from my own design. For those who remember the two dividers in the top drawer section, I added a shim on the outer edges of the two outside drawers to make the drawer square. There was no way I was going to cut the dividers out. :crybaby2: I learned a lot while doing this piece but enjoyed every minute of it. I will try to attach the pics to my post but I don't hold out much luck. Would someone step in and attach it for me if need be. Also, please note the side of one of the drawers. I found this wood while preparing for the cherry sides. I thought it was cherry at the time but not sure any more. Can anyone tell me what it is. It could be poplar. Thanks for sharing my moment in the spotlight. And thanks everyone for all the help. Wait until you see the next project. Retirement couldn't be any finer. Lorraine

100_2342.JPG

100_2343.JPG

100_2347.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

dozer

Mike
Lorraine if it is the chest that is in you photo gallery than I would like to be the first to say :eusa_clap very well done that is a project to be very proud of. Can't wait to see what is next.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, Lorraine that is really PURDY!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

From the looks of it, you recovered very nicely. It looks flawless. I like it a lot.

Chuck

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Thanks for the good words and no it isn't flawless but it is mine and yes I am very proud. A router cabinet comes next and I am going to try my hand at a kitchen cabinet.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Lorraine. I am speechless!!!!! That piece is awesome! What type of finish did end up using? It looks absolutely flawless!:eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Fabulous work!

Wayne

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
The finish is golden pecan and poly for protection. I seem to find myself using only golden pecan it also looks good on cherry.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
WOW!!!! That is incredible. Great work, you should be very proud of yourself. I only hope to aspire to make something as fine.
Your question about the wood in the drawer slides...it looks to me to be Soft Maple with some nice curl and a little mineral staining or spalting..very nice touch.
You've done really well, everything about it says fine crafts-womanship...even the signature branding :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dave:)

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Dave, the side panel for the drawer is just as it appeared from the planer. It is softer than the walnut. It came with a load of cherry. Someone suggested poplar. It is a nice touch though.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
It could be some Cherry sapwood, I am doubtful on Poplar, as I've never seen it show any curly figure. Did it smell sweet, like cherries when you milled it? What ever it is, it's a very nice touch and you need to tell everyone that you planned it that way :-D

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

An excellent job -- well designed, well executed and well finished! A family heirloom, indeed!

Rob

novice99

New User
Mike
It looks great, Lorraine! Having seen this as a WIP those months ago, it is far nicer than I imagined as you described it. No need to confess to blemishes if no one can see them! Keep up the great (and fun) work.

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Lorraine, You certainly did a beautiful job with that chest and particularly so since it's your own design. That undoubtedly added many hours to the project, but you now have "one of a kind". Isn't it amazing what talent and determination can yield? Retirement means any day can be a day in the workshop. I've been at it nearly 14 years and haven't got bored yet.
Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS