CA finish question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
OK,

I turned my first commisioned pen this afternoon.

the only problem I am having is with the CA finish. It came out splotchy (is that spelling right). Spots are highly polished and look great. Other spots are more of a satin finish.

I thought I was starting to get better at this but this one did not turn out. In the past I have put upwards of 4 to 5 coats of medium CA and sanded to a pretty good finish. Every time I read about how folks are applying this finish they say the don't put more than 2 or 3 thin coats. So that is what I tried.

Anyone got any ideas of what I am doing wrong.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Are you using Micromesh to sand the final CA coat? I still get a few un-perfect spots even after using the MM, but then I use Hut Plastic polish and that gives everything a perfect shine. It really works wonders.
Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
If you are seeing dull spots, that is typically places where the finish is sanded through.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I went to Woodcraft on Saturday and got the MM. Wow, what a difference that makes.

I have used the Hut polish over the CA in the past, but it doesn't seem to hold very long. I am going to try again tonight and see if I get better results.

I caulk this kinda stuff up to my my FDS (Finishing Deficiency Syndrome).

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
What kind of wood is the blank?(assuming it is a wood pen)
Some woods such as ebony, African black wood, cocobolo( oilly woods ) are more difficult to put a CA finish on.
ANother thng is cloudiness in the finish usually means there is moisture trapped under the CA.Did you let the blank cool off before finishing or did you go from the sanding stage to the CA application?
I have trapped my finger print under a CA finish in the past.The cusomer thought that made the pen more valuable.I was happy to sell a screw up.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have used the Hut polish over the CA in the past, but it doesn't seem to hold very long.

There's the Hut wax polish, and then there is the Hut Plastic Polish. The later is a whitish liquid that contains a micro abrasive like buffing compound and actually polishes the CA finish...it shouldn't wear off like a wax polish can do.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
The blank is Olive Wood. I would say the blank was pretty cool. I usually finish sanding. Stop the lathe, wipe blank with mineral spirits (to remove any oil). Then apply CA.

Thanks DaveO for the tip on the Plastic polish. I will try that and see what that gets me.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
The blank is Olive Wood. I would say the blank was pretty cool. I usually finish sanding. Stop the lathe, wipe blank with mineral spirits (to remove any oil). Then apply CA.

Thanks DaveO for the tip on the Plastic polish. I will try that and see what that gets me.

My guess is a combination of things.
The blank is still warm, you may have removed the surface oils with the MS but the mandrel and underlying wood is still warm.
Oils from olive wood migrate up.
try wiping with DNA instead and let the blank cool.
Olive wood with a CA finish can be tricky regardless.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
ok,

Tried a different approach last night. Turned the blanks and sanded.

Put the lathe on the slowest setting and sprayed a light coat of Deft Clear Gloss finish. Wet sanded and repeated using the MM to the 12000 grit. Came out with a great high gloss finish.

Anyone know if this is going to hold up????

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Deft lacquer is an excellent finish for pens. Heck, Eagle uses it, and after all the work he puts into a pen blank, he prolly doesn't want to screw it up. I would think that it would hold up great, but being sprayed out of a rattle can you would need several coats to get enough build to give a good durable protective finish.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
ok,

Tried a different approach last night. Turned the blanks and sanded.

Put the lathe on the slowest setting and sprayed a light coat of Deft Clear Gloss finish. Wet sanded and repeated using the MM to the 12000 grit. Came out with a great high gloss finish.

Anyone know if this is going to hold up????
Lacquer if aspplied with multiple coats and allowed to cure will be an excellent finish.You can MM after an hour 5 or six coats in a day, buff aftrer a couple days cure.
I wouldn't spray it on with the lathe turning though.Turn by hand while "Setting"
Look up Russ Fairfields articles on finishing
herringbone_finished_015.jpg

Last edited:

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I gave up on rattle cans of Deft because of over spray and drips from the nozzle.
I use a $5.00 air brush from HF and thin the lacquer 70-30.Three soda caps of thinner to 7 soda caps of lacquer.I keep adding until I fill a larger sontainer.
A CA finish will make a hard shiny surface,People are like fish.They like shiny things.
A pen with multiple coats of lacquer will allow you to look into the "soul" of the wood.Something that CA cannot do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors