Bow clamp clamping cauls

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Just a quick impression of the Bow clamp clamping cauls as DaveO did a fine job in his review.

My first thoughts when I started to use these was how well made they were and how nice they felt! My project was 19" long and 3 x 5" wide cherry being glued up into a panel. I had to use a 1/2" spacer under the panels to lift the pieces up sufficiently to allow the cauls to sit centred on the edges. No problem, just used 1/2 MDF under plastic sheet to prevent sticking. Got two of my cheapo F clamps and started clamping. Here is were I came across the first little difficulty. The boards were not sitting level and because of the pressure in the centre being so much greater than the outsides; I had to remove a lot of the end load in order to adjust the boards; adjusting them level was done with a dead blow, but I also wanted to shift them sideways. When I had removed enough pressure to do this I had lost some of the stability of the whole setup and the levels changed again. Not a serious flaw, but still.. Then I had a small "explosion" The cauls had shifted all the way to one side and therefore one of my clamps was near the ends of my boards, the other was 4 or 5 inches off the other end. I released a little too much pressure off the close in clamp and all **** broke loose as the clamp slip out of the grooves and the because pressure was still being applied at the other end...well you know what happened! glued up boards all over the place, cauls, clamps.. etc... So lesson learned - don't use cauls that are overly long for the project in hand. At that point I didn't like them! The I continued and found the next slight problem. My clamps are cheap as I said and with the 24" caul I was using I couldn't quite get the caul closed up right on the ends because my clamp was bending instead! This left a tiny gap on one end. With a normal setup I could have closed that gap with the clamp without the additional force required to overcome the bend in the caul. Lesson learned - use better clamps! However I tried I could not get the panel to sit quite flat when clamped up even though the joints were good; perhaps a bigger spacer would have allowed my to juggle the position of the caul to adjust for this. Top pressure from more straight cauls fixed that.

At the end of clamping up 6 sets of panels I would buy these for my shop. Not sure whether the 24" is strictly necessary because it only takes 3 clamps to clamp that distance anyway, but the 36" would be nice. Over all I like them. I would like to try the woodcraft panel clamps that apply downward pressure as well with a user supplied 2 x 2.

DSCF0079.JPG

DSCF0080.JPG

DSCF0083.JPG

You can see the clamp bending here.

DSCF0081.JPG

And the small gap. Changing to a standard bar clamp not an F clamp fixed the problem.

DSCF0082.JPG

The woodcraft system. I would like to try this.

WOODCRAFT Clamping System

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Thanks for the review. I wonder how much force is applied at the point that the cauls are perfectly flat against the panel sides?

Sounds like you handled the "explosion" well. I get a little edgy when a glue up heads South. :lol:

Chuck

DavidF

New User
David
Thanks for the review. I wonder how much force is applied at the point that the cauls are perfectly flat against the panel sides?

Sounds like you handled the "explosion" well. I get a little edgy when a glue up heads South. :lol:

Chuck

I do tend to think that the amount of bow on the 24" is a little too much. My clamps were bending to close the gap and I know the edge joints were good so without the cauls I would have needed minimal pressure to bring the joint up. Heaven only knows how much force was being applied in the middle!

The only problem with the "explosion" was that all the time I was fiddling the glue was drying out

tonyps

New User
Tony
Evening,
I saw this product a while back and have been waiting for someone to put a pair of em through the wringer.....it seems like a pair of em would be well worth it if you glue up boards on a regualr basis. It seems like it would sure reduce the number of clamps needed for this type of operation...
Do you know the cost and different lengths available?
Thanks,

Tony ...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Do you know the cost and different lengths available?
Thanks,

Tony ...

Tony and all. I merge this thread with the review that I did, where I list the costs and sizes, so someone looking for the information wouldn't have to look in several places.
DavidF, thanks for putting your spin on the review, anyone else that would like to give them a try just let me know.

Dave:)

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I got to thinking about my previous question about the Bow Clamp's ability to apply even pressure across the length of a glue up and testing with strain gauges- would be nice to know (since I am a skeptic about manufacturer's claims), but I doubt anyone puts even pressure across a glue up with clamps of any sort- you just tighten until it feels right.

What is lacking with the Bow Clamp is the ability to put more or less pressure. If you need to put more pressure in one area (first you didn't do a good job jointing or had some post jointing warp- wouldn't be the first time:-D:-D) you can add a clamp on top of the Bow Clamp. Of course then you are changing the dynamics of it- so why do you need it at all. Second, I often release pressure on one or two clamps in a long edge glue up to make it easier to realign the faces. As DavidF found out you can't do that very easily with Bow clamps. Also, it would be hard to run cauls across the face of a glueup unless they are shorter than the width of ther glue up, since the Bow Clamps would be in the way. It might be better to use regular clamps on the edges and Bow Clamps across the face.

I guess the bottom line for me, they are not a "be all end all" clamping tools, but just another (expensive) tool in the clamping arsenal. I still think they are too expensive for something made from wood (Besseys are too expensive also), and if I were regularly gluing a lot of panels, I would make a panel clamping rack.

DavidF

New User
David
I got to thinking about my previous question about the Bow Clamp's ability to apply even pressure across the length of a glue up and testing with strain gauges- would be nice to know (since I am a skeptic about manufacturer's claims), but I doubt anyone puts even pressure across a glue up with clamps of any sort- you just tighten until it feels right.

What is lacking with the Bow Clamp is the ability to put more or less pressure. If you need to put more pressure in one area (first you didn't do a good job jointing or had some post jointing warp- wouldn't be the first time:-D:-D) you can add a clamp on top of the Bow Clamp. Of course then you are changing the dynamics of it- so why do you need it at all. Second, I often release pressure on one or two clamps in a long edge glue up to make it easier to realign the faces. As DavidF found out you can't do that very easily with Bow clamps. Also, it would be hard to run cauls across the face of a glueup unless they are shorter than the width of ther glue up, since the Bow Clamps would be in the way. It might be better to use regular clamps on the edges and Bow Clamps across the face.

I guess the bottom line for me, they are not a "be all end all" clamping tools, but just another (expensive) tool in the clamping arsenal. I still think they are too expensive for something made from wood (Besseys are too expensive also), and if I were regularly gluing a lot of panels, I would make a panel clamping rack.

I tend to agree Alan, I would have had to apply a huge amount of force at the ends of the bow clamps to match that which was being applied in the middle. When I have made curved cauls in the past, I have had a tenth of the bow on these clamps. If you were to clamp a flat caul and measure the gap, if any in the centre then multiplied by 10 to actually apply pressure I am sure you would not be talking more than 0.1" of bow needed.

I did indeed have to use face cauls that were shorter than the panel width, and then long cauls on the top to apply the pressure. Certainly only juggling two clamps was nice, but as you say, they are not a "magic bullet" to the panel clamp game. Another member has offered me the use of the WC clamp system which I look forward to trying on the drawer sides and fronts. I will let you know how it goes.

Craig Feuerzeig

New User
Craig Feuerzeig
Thanks for two great reviews guys. Glad to see my Bowclamps put through their paces. This product will either stand on its own 2 feet... or not. And let the chips fall where they may.

But a few thoughts.

With the benefit of CNC, I can change or adjust the pressure rather simply. And David, I think you might be right about too much pressure on the 2 footers...You see, I never intended on the 2 footers being used in pairs, in a panel glue up, for the reason you stated... it only takes 3 or 4 clamps normally across that length. But this is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

I certainly know the "explosion" you speak of :eusa_doh: . But it does take a little practice getting used to a new method. And a dry run or 2 always helps. I like to get started by applying just enough pressure in the middle to allow for adjustment and alignment. With a little practice you'll find that a half a turn one way or the other will let you "dial in" the right amount. Then just clamp until the ends are tight.

Nothing can be right for every situation, but I'm trying to work with averages for most common everyday clamping dilemmas. Also I do custom orders, and am toying with the idea of introducing light duty and heavy duty versions. Again looking for your feedback.

Also there is no "be all end all". But the Bowclamp is not just for panel glue ups. It will also apply solid wood edgebanding, attach face frames, counter-top edges, act as a deep jaw clamp going places other clamps won't, work as a veneer press, a hold-down... and as DaveO and Jeff are finding out, new uses come up everyday.

And wait until I show you the no clamps at all trick.:eusa_thin

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Wow! on the Bowclamp website, NCWW's review is included among the reviewers, with FWW, workshopdemos.com, and SawmillCreek!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS