Bow clamp clamping cauls

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Bowclamp clamping cauls reviewed

A while back someone created a thread about Bowclamps. There was a little discussion about them, but the general consensus was that nobody had tried them to give a reliable opinion about them. A reply was posted to that thread by Craig Feuerzeig of Zig Industries, the creator and maker of the Bowclamp system. He offered a set of the clamping cauls to be tested and reviewed by a member of NCwoodworker. D L Ames, took on the task, but due to a very busy work schedule has been unable to make the time to give them a good testing for review. He handed the set off to me to test and give y'all my thoughts and opinions about them. And they follow:

I have to admit that I was a little skeptical about the Bowclamp system. Not about the technique or method of using clamping cauls as it is a time proven method of distributing clamping pressure across a large area. Nor that they were well made items. But about the whole idea of buying curved pieces of wood for between $22-32 a set.
Well, I picked them up from D L on Saturday, and gave them a work over today. My first impression of the cauls as I removed them from the box was that they were definitely hand made, not by a CNC or any other automated process. You could see the tooling marks, a little burn from a router or shaper, and some slight chip-out from shaping. None of these thing affected the usability of the cauls, it just proved that Craig is a one man operation, and made each on himself.
Right off the bat I noticed that each set of cauls had their own unique curvature, definitely not random. I wanted to see if they would bow like they were designed to do so they could provide even pressure across the entire work piece.
Here's a shot of the cauls without clamps showing the curvature:
Bowclamp_015.jpg

And with clamps applied closing up the gaps to a straight line:
Bowclamp_001.jpg

Bowclamp_003.jpg

After doing that I decided to put them to use in a panel glue up. I was making a cat bed, (as something to make that would require the use of the cauls). First I milled up three pieces of Lacewood that were to be the “headboard” of the bed. Normally I would use 3 or 4 Bessy clamps for this glue-up.
Here's a shot of the panels and cauls before clamping:
Bowclamp_004.jpg

And after, showing very even (somewhat excessive for illustration purposes) glue squeeze out across the entire joint:
Bowclamp_005.jpg

Bowclamp_007.jpg

The cauls applied excellent pressure even though only two F-style clamps were being utilized.
The only draw back I found in this application was that I need to make 1/2” spacers to lift the panel so that it was in the center of the caul face to provide parallel pressure.

The next application I tried was a quick lamination of some Red Oak 5/4 stock to make the legs for the bed. Seeing as the panel was still drying in one set of the cauls I had to use my standard method of clamping for one and the cauls for the other.
Here's a 18” lamination using 3 Bessy clamps:
Bowclamp_008.jpg

And here's a 26” lamination of the same stock using the 36” Bowclamp cauls:

Bowclamp_011.jpg

Excellent glue squeeze out across the entire joint line:

Bowclamp_009.jpg

The only issue I had during this application and others was the amount of screw travel to completely close the cauls. It takes almost the entire thread length of my standard F-style clamps...that's a lot of twisting.

I wish that I had a scientific method of testing how much pressure the cauls applied compared to a standard K-body style parallel jaw clamp. But I don't so I tried to break the joint after the glue had cured and the wood broke first...that's enough pressure in my book, it created a solid joint.

My overall impression of the Bowclamp caul system is that they are well designed, do what they are designed to do, and worth the money. A full set of 3 pairs of cauls 24”, 36” & 48” runs about $130. If you bought the wood to make them, about 6 BF of 8/4 hard Maple, you would spend around $36. Then factor in 3-4 hours milling, squaring, dimensioning, routing, cutting sanding and finishing, and you would come out better buying them. If you value your time like I do. I much rather be making something fun than some high tech bowed sticks.
And the savings goes even farther because instead of having a arsenal of expensive parallel jaw clamps you can use many less and cheaper F-style clamps. That is something that I found to be quite advantageous as I have many of the cheaper F-style clamps that I don't use very often due to their tendency to not stay parallel and to mar the work piece with their small area of surface contact.
My biggest complaint is that I don't have 2 sets of any of the sizes to be able to utilize them to help keep a panel glue up flat, something which I think that they would also excel in doing.

I would like to thank Craig for the opportunity to test out his product and commend him on taking something very simple and refining it to perfection for a reasonable cost.
Also thanks to D L for being to busy to test them out...I will find lots of use for them in my shop. If anyone would like to give them a test run themselves, I would be more than happy to let you give them a try providing you post your thoughts also.

Respectfully submitted,
Dave:)

Bowclamp

Toddler

New User
Todd
Re: Bowclamp clamping cauls reviewed

Nice review DaveO.

and seriously. . . cat bed???

:rolf:

PS) PM me your address so I can send that nesting box plan.

cskipper

Cathy

Dave, thanks for a well written review. I think I was one of the first to mention these in thee original dissuasion, so I was especially interested in the results. It was also good to hear that DL is alive and well.

nelsone

New User
Ed

Good Review Dave! I have also been skeptical about purchaing cauls. You did a good job on the cost breakdown.

DavidF

New User
David

They sound like a good thing that I would find very useful. I have never been able to justify the high cost of K body clamps and their ilk, so I too have many "F" style clamps. I am going to be glueing up a lot of panels for the bedside cabs so perhaps I could borrow the 24" set??

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown

Dave, thanks for the detailed review. It helps to get a review from a know WW'er not just from the company's web site. I have to put them on my wish list.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

I am going to be glueing up a lot of panels for the bedside cabs so perhaps I could borrow the 24" set??

Certainly, just let me know when you would need them, and I can drop them by Apex when I am in the area.

DavidF

New User
David

Certainly, just let me know when you would need them, and I can drop them by Apex when I am in the area.

Starting next week end! how about bringing them to the Apex lunch tomorrow? then everybody could see them and I could take them away:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO

You bet, I'll write myself a note right now.

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Very well-written, objective review, Dave.

I agree with you on the value of my time. And if you reckoned you could build a set in 3-4 hours that means it would likely take me a few days!! :lol:

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger

Well thought out and thorough review Dave :icon_thum
Excellent point about not needing the big Besseys'. Their cost has limited me to mostly F-clamps. :roll:

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO

My first impression of the cauls as I removed them from the box was that they were definitely hand made, not by a CNC or any other automated process.

Bowclamp

An amendment to my review. After visiting the SMC Bowclamp forum I realized that CNC technology (Shopbot as a matter of a fact) is used quite heavily in the production of the cauls. In addition to a very cool Drycleaner's conveyor system to automate the finishing process.
YouTube - bowclamp dipping mock-up
That doesn't detract from their usefullness, I just didn't want to be giving out incorrect information...even if it was only my erroneous impressions.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member

Thanks for the review Dave. It really helps when a trusted source comes forth.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Do they have a durable and smooth enough finish so glue doesn't stick or can be easily scraped off? If I hadn't paid about 1/2 of what the Bow Clamps cost for my Besseys (during the Bessey frenzies of a few years) I'd think about buying a couple.

I still would like to see a test with a number of pressure strain gauges spaced along the joint. And also do the engineering and see what it costs to make my own- the curve should be easy to determine and draw with a computer and CAD program.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio

Hey, he is over 30!!! He can't be trusted! :lol:

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Do they have a durable and smooth enough finish so glue doesn't stick or can be easily scraped off? If I hadn't paid about 1/2 of what the Bow Clamps cost for my Besseys (during the Bessey frenzies of a few years) I'd think about buying a couple.

I still would like to see a test with a number of pressure strain gages spaced along the joint. And also do the engineering and see what it costs to make my own- the curve should be easy to determine and draw with a computer and CAD program.

Alan, I e-mailed with Craig and asked about the pressure that they applied and if it was comparable to a clamp like a Bessey. He told me that in the design his aim was for 150 psi across the entire length of the caul. He also has some engineering type test with a material that is compressed and the measured with calipers to show that the pressure is even across the whole length.
They are waxed to prevent glue from sticking, but if I was to use them as cauls that would be in direct contact with a glue line (like keeping a panel flat) I would consider putting some packing tape over the faces just as an extra precaution.

I don't think that the design would be to hard to duplicate by following the original, but I still think that it would be more work than it's worth.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User

I'm sorry, you lost me at:

"I was making a cat bed out of lacewood".

:lol:

-Mark

DaveO

New User
DaveO

OK, let's call it a doll bed for my daughter, as I don't think that the cat will sleep in it without some adhesive persuasion. Although I did build a cat tree and they took to that like a fish to water.
I just needed something to make :oops: ...I can't just glue boards together for no reason, and the cat bed was my wifes suggestion. Wife wants = more shop time with less grief :-D :-D

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS