Black Walnut Desk File

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi folks,

For the guys that liked the 'Black Wanut Desk" thread that Jeff posted, here's a few pics of the companion file cabinet. The customer elected not to put the 1 3/4" thick top on it (like the desk), but to let the dovetails show. I think he was right...a big, fat top on this would look kinda silly. I used those new Blum concealed full extension soft closing slides on the drawers...you can't slam these drawers shut, they just close quietly by themselves when they're about an inch out.

Don

Law of the Workshop: Any tool or part when dropped, will roll to the least accessible corner.

Attachments

• CIMG1583-1.jpg
    CIMG1583-1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 169
  • CIMG1584.jpg
    CIMG1584.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 170
  • CIMG1588.jpg
    CIMG1588.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 178
  • CIMG1589.jpg
    CIMG1589.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 168
  • CIMG1592.jpg
    CIMG1592.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 159
  • CIMG1593.jpg
    CIMG1593.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 164
  • CIMG1597.jpg
    CIMG1597.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 176

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
That is a beautiful file cabinet. You can never go wrong with walnut. The husband and I have had an ongoing discussion lately over which wood to use for the upcoming trestle table. I chose cherry thinking I had more cherry in the storage building. He wants walnut. We cleaned out the storage building, finished today, the table will now be walnut. We have enough. Again the cabinet is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Lorraine

Touchwood

New User
Don
Thanks Lorraine,

You can see some of my rockers in the "Rockon" thread started a few days ago.

I think you already saw the "black walnut desk" thread.

Take care,

Don

Nativespec

New User
David
Nice. I like the flush fitting drawers. As soon as I get my desk in my office put together (got to move someone out first) I will post my cherry suite-somewhat similar.

David

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
What was your tool of choice for the dovetails? Coming back to look at the pics a second time I see the back, it is a good to look at as the front. And when you use walnut on the drawer sides it makes the piece pop. I like this very much. Lorraine

Touchwood

New User
Don
Lorraine,

I have an old 24" Keller jig that I love...it was used for both the big doves on the cabinet and the small ones on the drawer...all through-doves. I like the Keller because the bits have a bearing on the shaft that fits the jig slots perfectly....and when you line up the doved board with the pin board you just mark the dove pattern on the end of the board, line up the pin template and what you see is what you cut. I use a Leigh jig if I want variable spacing, but it's difficult to keep the bit centered in the guide bushing and I don't like sloppy dovetails. If I'm doing half-blind I use Woodhaven's foolproof inexpensive jig...

Don

Touchwood

New User
Don
Nice. I like the flush fitting drawers. As soon as I get my desk in my office put together (got to move someone out first) I will post my cherry suite-somewhat similar.

David

David,

The only problem with inset doors/drawer fronts is getting all the gap lines equal and even. If you don't they stick out like a sore thumb.

Don

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Great looking file cabinet Don the walnut is georgous. I have plans for one and whenever I get around to it if it turns oun to be a third as good as what I see here I'll be pleased.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Beautiful wood and craftsmanship. That's a very fit companion to the desk. I'll bet the customer is thrilled! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

Touchwood

New User
Don
Thanks Travis,

Yep...never use stain, just tung-oil. Let the wood be the color it wants (or you pick).

Don

TV

New User
Todd Vaughn
Very nice! I really like the look of the dovetails. Thanks for sharing.

tv

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Very good looking! Looks like you must have used undermount slides? Any installation notes? I've never used the Blums but am thinking of doing so.
Joe

Touchwood

New User
Don
Very good looking! Looks like you must have used undermount slides? Any installation notes? I've never used the Blums but am thinking of doing so.
Joe

Joe,

They're undermount and I got mine out of the WWSupply pro-catalog for about $32/pr.

The only thing you have to be careful of are the drawer dimensions.,and underside clearance. Follow their directions precisely and all will be good :lol:

Don

Nativespec

New User
David
Don:

It takes quite a bit of time. Before I bought an edge sander, I used hand planes and sanders. The edge sander saves time, but you have to be careful not to take too much. It involves a lot of walking back and forth and finishing up with hand sanders. It helps to build perectly square carcasses and drawers-one day.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS