Best Finish for Drawer Boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
What is the best finish for the insides of drawers boxes? I am planning on just a shellac coat but thought I might ask before I did that.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
What is the best finish for the insides of drawers boxes? I am planning on just a shellac coat but thought I might ask before I did that.

Geoff,

I have in the past made the mistake of using poly. It continued to "gass off" even after two years!!!:elvis::elvis:

I switched to just giving the drawer boxes two coats of clear shellac. Offers reasonable protection (for the occasional wipe downs) and best of all no odor once cured.:wsmile:

Wayne

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I use spray shellac. If it oversprays onto the drawer front it won't affect the poly finish. That's my entire system: spray shellac (Bullseye) and wipe-on poly, sometimes can shellac on small boxes.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
I assume your talking about jewelry boxes,if not then sorry,but anyway,I make custum jewelry boxes and all I use on them is a danish oil mix,that I make myself,then wax it.I sand the inside of the drawers up to 400 before assembly,so I get a nice smooth finish when done.
Ken

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
What Wayne said. Anything oil is bad. Shellac is great, if you have a sprayer. Done in no time, super smooth, and dry before you've put up the sprayer.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
This just a question,but why do you say oil is bad?I have been using it for over 10 yrs on my boxes and long before that when I did furniture.Just wipe a light coat on,then after about a day,I apply a coat of wax an no problem.
Ken

What Wayne said. Anything oil is bad. Shellac is great, if you have a sprayer. Done in no time, super smooth, and dry before you've put up the sprayer.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Not Bas, but I will type in my best Dutch accent. Oil finishes are not bad. But they do have a tendency to off-gas for a long period of time. Even longer if inside an enclosed space.
I made a kitchen hutch and made a conscience effort to finish the inside of it with shellac to avoid the smell issue. But the Oak doors that went on it were finished with Polyurethane for the durability in the kitchen, on both sides. I still smell the Poly when I open the cabinet 2 years later.

Dave:)

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
Thanks Dave,I used to use watco Danish oil untill I found the formula and started mixing my own for about a tenth of the price.I soak my boxes in it and it does take a total time of about 3 or 4 weeks to completly cure.
Ken

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
This just a question,but why do you say oil is bad?I have been using it for over 10 yrs on my boxes and long before that when I did furniture.Just wipe a light coat on,then after about a day,I apply a coat of wax an no problem.
I meant bad as in the smell. It takes a very long time for it to dissipate. I made a few drawers about a year ago, finished them with a simple oil/ varnish mix, and I can smell it when I open a drawer.

I suppose that if I had kept the drawers out for 3-4 weeks (maybe even outside), they would have cured fully. But I don't have that kind of space in my shop :) After three days, I decided I'd rather have stinky tools and space than fresh smelling tools (if there is such a thing...) and no room in the shop.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
So, before this thread gets completely hijacked, I will thank those who affirmed my choice of shellac. I should have mentioned in the title post that these drawers will hold all of LOML's quilting material. If I used something that left an odor or a residue she would not be happy.

gator

George
Corporate Member
A Late Entry:

For me, it depends on where the drawer is. For things like clothes (and quilting supplies) shellac is probably the better choice, but, for the bathroom vanities I've made I used a high gloss scrubbable white paint. You never know what will be spilled in these drawers and I want to be able to clean them without fear of taking up the finish. I think that I would/will do the same for kitchen drawers also.

George

Glennbear

Glenn
So, before this thread gets completely hijacked, I will thank those who affirmed my choice of shellac. I should have mentioned in the title post that these drawers will hold all of LOML's quilting material. If I used something that left an odor or a residue she would not be happy.

Thanks for asking the question Geoff, it answers a concern I had about some upcoming drawers. You are a wise man not to contaminate the CFO's quilting stuff :wsmile:
trash-him.gif

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
boxxmaker, do you mind sharing your Danish oil formula?

Thanks!

My secret,10 bucks might get it out of me :rotflm:

OK I feel generous today,it's simple just equal parts high gloss poly, boiled linseed oil an mineral spirits or paint thinner,that parts not important.Actally I'v been puttin just a tad bit more poly in lately,just to see how it worked,works pretty good.As for smell I used it on some furniture that I made an never had any complaints :wink_smil and I use it on all my boxes an there no smell to them at all after a few months.
Ken

I found this on a web site about 10 yrs or so ago after I got tired of payin 12 bucks for a qt of watco.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
No problem,just glad to help.I got it off the site of a jewelry box craftsman by the name of Bill McDowell Teknodeco.com.He no longer makes them anymore,I believe due to health problems,but he was allways willing to offer advice and help a fellow woodworker out.His website is still open and if you would like to see some beautifull work,you can just click on this link.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS