Backbench update *w/pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Finally the light at the end of the tunnel for my backbench. This past week was spent sanding, staining, and spraying the faceframes, drawer fronts and boxes, and the doors. Though my spraying technique won't win any awards, it gets better each time I shoot. Of course everything looks much better in the photos than in person.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Here are the doors drying. They are resting on brads that stick up through some scrap ply boards that are resting on top of the bench- I've haven't had a chance to make a decent drying rack. I was initially going to brush the faceframes but decided to paper and tape the openings and went ahead and sprayed them- no drips, no runs, no errors
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Backbench-49.JPG

Using a friend's method of supporting the doors on points and using a turntable, I sprayed all edges and both sides of all 15 doors and 10 drawer fronts each session. I sanded between the first and second coats- 3 coats of waterborne Target Coatings conversion varnish on the fronts and 2 on the backs. While it doesn't dry as quickly as lacquer, this stuff dries fast enough that if I hadn't had other things to do, I could have finished all three coats and the sanding in less than a day. My Binks Mach I HVLP and 2 qt pressure pot were a joy to use. Nice not having the weight and bulk of a gun mounted cup. Here is the vac cabinet door on the turntable ready for spraying.
Backbench-50.JPG

Here is everything reinstalled with hardware- black cup pulls on the drawers and black knob pulls and hinges on the doors. I had to paint the cup pulls black - I found some cheap ones that weren't black.
Backbench-51.JPG

I have already started filling up the drawers and cabinets with tools and supplies.
Backbench-52.JPG

And yes, I decided to use the green wash stain and varnish on the drawer boxes, also
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
. Unlike the sink base, and except in a few spots, all the faceframes, doors, and drawer fronts were made with riftsawn or quartersawn oak. I don't like the look of flatsawn stock, so tried to avoid using flatsawn pieces (like the section of top rail in the picture
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
).
Backbench-53.JPG

Though it is hard to tell since I cleaned it with Glass Plus, I installed glass in the upper cabinet doors.
Backbench-54.JPG

I experimented with rare earth magnets for door catches, initially with the little 1/8" X 1/8" cylinders- too small and not strong enough. The 1/4' X 1/4" ones appear to work great with one mounted in the door edge and another opposite it on the inside edge of the faceframe. Will eventually be the subject of a separate post.

Next up: mounting of the mitersaw, installing the countertop, building the benchtop tool cubbies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: Bakbench update *w/pics*

Looks awesome Alan.

Is your bottom shelf sagging or is it just the picture?

What kind of tips you got on spraying now? I like the Target myself, but have only used it on one project so far.

M

McRabbet

Very nice looking set of cabinets. A marvelous sequence of work for all to admire.

Rob

J

jeff...

WOW like the design and the oak lumber 8-O

You might want to consider a center support on the shelving, it's looking a little bowed from the weight, could be the picture too...

One good think about that green wash, you'll know when a drawer is open

Do you do kitchens?

Thanks

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Awesome job Alan. Your cabinets are looking fantastic.:icon_thum What are you going to make your counter top out of?

D L

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Looks awesome Alan.

Is your bottom shelf sagging or is it just the picture?

What kind of tips you got on spraying now? I like the Target myself, but have only used it on one project so far.

Yup, got a little sag there- shelf is 47" long- too long for no center support. I have some spacers ready to insert but haven't got around to it.

I changed my fluid nozzle from a 95 (1.5mm) to a 92 (1.2mm) and will likely change the air cap from a 95P to a 94P. The biggest two things from my very limited experience is 1) adjust fluid and air pressures to get good atomization (every gun is different) and 2) hold the gun at a constant distance from the work and sweep slowly and evently. The Target EMTECH® 8000 PRECATALYZED WATERBORNE CONVERSION VARNISH worked ok (I haven't tried Target waterborne lacquer), but at the recommendation of the friend, who gave me the Target, I will be switching to Fuhr brand precat lacquer Environmentally Friendly Water based Wood Finishing Products. He's had some problems with Target quality and says the Fuhr atomizes, sprays, flows, and subsequent coats "burn in" better.

tattoo12365

New User
Allen
Great looking work ... can't wait for my brother in law to break ground for my shop. I'd do it myself but he's the contractor LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS