Auction table finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Here are a couple of pics of the auction table with its final finish on it. The pics aren't great but hopefully you will get the jest of it. Comments are welcome, just be honest and kind :lol: :lol: .

For a finish, here is what I ended up with:

one wipe on coat of shellac on base, followed by two sprayed on coats, followed by two coats of lacquer.

The top has:

two coats of wiped on shellac, many many thin coats of padded on lacquer, followed by one sprayed on coat of lacquer, followed by many more padded on layers. I am still not entirely satisfied with the top finish as it just doesn't suit me. This is the first time I have built a piece and didn't stain it so I'm not used to this look.

Hopefully someone will think it looks absolutely wonderful and bid a hefty sum for it during the auction.

Mike

rhett

New User
rhett
Looks good. The stringing is nice. I have always wanted to make a delume table but have yet to find the time.
Going once, Going twice, SOLD...I am quite certain:-D .

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
From the pics it looks awesome!

Did you use filler on the top? Why are you not quite happy with it?

Travis,

No filler, by putting so many thin coats on it, the grain finally got it's fill. :lol:

As for what it is that I'm not happy with, I guess I was really looking for a lot deeper look to the top and if I were to do more padding I might get there. It's kinda like "When is enough , enough"....... if you know what I mean.

Mike

Monty

New User
Monty
Very nice work! I'm starting to think I should try something like that. You should be proud!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I understand where you are coming from. Lookig for that "piano" finish where it looks like depth is never ending. I have never been there, but would like to get there myself one day.

MarkW

New User
Mark
Very nice ! Someone should jump all over that I would think. You may have mentioned it, but what auction are you speaking of ?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, I think the table is outstanding. Your finish looks awesome. The stringing on the legs is an elegant touch. Over all it is a fine piece and should fetch a good price at the auction. I could only hope to make something as nice. The only thing that doesn't sit well with me, and it very well could be the angle of the picture, is the angle of the glue joint on the top. You got pretty good grain match but the glue line doesn't seem to be parallel to the back of the top, and that makes it jump out at you.
Dave:oops: :oops:

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Mike, I think the table is outstanding. Your finish looks awesome. The stringing on the legs is an elegant touch. Over all it is a fine piece and should fetch a good price at the auction. I could only hope to make something as nice. The only thing that doesn't sit well with me, and it very well could be the angle of the picture, is the angle of the glue joint on the top. You got pretty good grain match but the glue line doesn't seem to be parallel to the back of the top, and that makes it jump out at you.
Dave:oops: :oops:

Dave,

I too saw that but I assure you it is just a photo bugaboo. I wouldn't let the top go like that if it were really the case. I wish I could have made it out of one board but stuff that wide is hard to come by.

MIke

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Very nice ! Someone should jump all over that I would think. You may have mentioned it, but what auction are you speaking of ?

Mark,

The auction is being held next month here in Wilson and all proceeds go to underpriviledge children. I don't really know all that much about the auction however I'm told that the majority of items being auctioned are sports related so I am concerned that the audience may not be up for a nice piece of furniture but then again if there are are ladies in attendance, it might just be the ticket. I am going to try and make the scene just to see what it fetches.

Mike

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,

I too saw that but I assure you it is just a photo bugaboo. I wouldn't let the top go like that if it were really the case. I wish I could have made it out of one board but stuff that wide is hard to come by.

MIke

I had a feeling that it was just the pic. Your work is way too nice to have something like that tarnish it...that's more like something I would do, after making the top too small out of the best pieces of stock that I had :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Mike, Yet another work of art by a master craftsman! I'm impressed with the perfect stringing and the little bead around the base of the demilune sets it off very nicely. It should command over $1,000 in the auction!

Rob

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Pretty work, Mike. If you're not quite happy with the finish it must be at least outstanding quality - you are the only known critic of your work! :lol:

I bet it will fetch a handsome sum of money for a very good cause.

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Per your request I will be honest :)

I honestly think it is beautiful!!!!
Don't see how it could be better. You are truly a craftsman.

Roger

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Table looks just fine as is! Really outstanding!

Have you ever tried rubbing out the finish with pumice and mineral oil after the finish has cured?

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Table looks just fine as is! Really outstanding!

Have you ever tried rubbing out the finish with pumice and mineral oil after the finish has cured?

I never tried that before but I might be up to it. Problem is I don't have any pumice. Is there anything else that will work in it's place? How about just using some realllllllly fine paper and MO? Like 5 micron paper or how about some .5 micron.

MIke

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Put a piece of old sweat pants or terry cloth under your ROS (if you have a hook 'n ' loop pad) and use the white automotive polishing compound. For even better finish, an auto parts place that carries finishing stuff, like carquest, will probably have some mico polishing compound like they use on the clear coats to get any residual swirl marks out. I wouldn't use a wool polishing bonnet because they can be too aggressive.
And no, the neither the automotive rubbing nor polishing compound have silicone in them as they are designed to be used between coats of paint. After polishing it out, you may want to wax it and buff that out for added water resistance.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS