Antique Tool Collectors Meeting Jan 16, Hillsborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Disappointed that Pappa Noel didn't bring you that mint Stanley #4 Sweetheart plane? Well here's here's a chance for you to find 3 or 4 and actually get to hold them and check them out before you buy! Have absolutely no idea what to look for in a #4? We have experts (fellow North Carolina Woodworker members) that will advise you. Want to learn more about different types of handsaws or drills or hammers or rulers or squares or cobbler tools or foot powered tools or any antique tool? Here's a great group of folks that will have a couple of collectors or know a few.

The annual Hillsborough meeting of the MWTCA will happen again in the Big Barn at the Daniel Boone complex behind the Wendys at I-85 exit 164 (Old 86/Churton St.) on Saturday Jan 16. There is a small admission fee which includes the Swap and Sell, Education Sessions and auction. The meet starts at around 7:30 for the early birds with coffee and Krispie Kremes and the Swap and Sell tables followed by a short business session at 9:00 and an Educational session TBA. The Auction starts at 11:00 and North Carolina Woodworker members attending usually get together after for lunch at a local restaurant.

My attendance this year is iffy right now so I need someone else to organize any get-together...Jim? Roger?

Let me know if there are any questions.
Thanks!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Well, I'm sure we can arrange something :)

I'll schedule an off site planning meeting with Roger. Maybe somewhere tropical or Persian......

Jim

sapwood

New User
Roger
OK, I have a plan!
Everyone come to the MWTCA meet in Hillsborough on Jan. 16 :widea:

Roger

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I won't be able to make this meeting :gar-Cr I have a scheduling conflict that day.......

Last edited:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
OK, I have a plan!
Everyone come to the MWTCA meet in Hillsborough on Jan. 16 :widea:

Roger
Unless something unexpected comes up I'm in. I hope there's a decent turnout. I [STRIKE]want[/STRIKE] need a few things this year.

Chuck

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I would like to make this meeting as I need some handsaw sharpening tools such as setters and a vise or two, maybe even a saw or two :dontknow:. Hopefully somebody will be there to help me find a decent deal as I am not knowledgeable about these items.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Jimmy,
PM SSuther and see if he is attending. Stan is an expert in this category (he'll probably disagree but he traveled further than 10 miles, brought handouts and did a great presentation and demo on sharpening saws at one of our meetings:gar-La;). If Stan's not coming he'll know who to get to help you. If the ladies taking money at the door ask you if you have a sponsor just give them my name. Hope to see you there as I'm definitely coming.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
You can dream :)

While I'm flattered you'd like to see into my Evil Lair, I'll have to pass. Its not a shop a much as a pile of stuff.

But, I promise it'll be on the next Shop Crawl in our area :)

Did someone say lunch?

Jim

Count me in....And afterward lunch and a tour of Froglips shop?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jimmy,
PM SSuther and see if he is attending. Stan is an expert in this category (he'll probably disagree but he traveled further than 10 miles, brought handouts and did a great presentation and demo on sharpening saws at one of our meetings:gar-La;). If Stan's not coming he'll know who to get to help you. If the ladies taking money at the door ask you if you have a sponsor just give them my name. Hope to see you there as I'm definitely coming.

Thanks Mark,

As soon as I know for sure, I'll contact Stan. I really have been trying to make one of these meetings but something always seems to come up with my kids, hopefully this time will be better. Thanks for the sponsorship and I hope to see you there.:icon_thum

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Froglips has me started on the hand tool thing now, so I'll be there. I need another plane to flatten, the last one was so much fun :no:.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Umm...do we have to join the MWTCA to get into this event? What kind of wheeling and dealing goes on at this kind of meeting? Selling? Trading? Viewing (with the commensurate ooo-ing and aaaah-ing)?

I found this site - http://www.mwtca.org/member-benefits.html - so I'm aware of HOW to join (I just need to know if I NEED to join).

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Umm...do we have to join the MWTCA to get into this event? What kind of wheeling and dealing goes on at this kind of meeting? Selling? Trading? Viewing (with the commensurate ooo-ing and aaaah-ing)?

I found this site - http://www.mwtca.org/member-benefits.html - so I'm aware of HOW to join (I just need to know if I NEED to join).

You don't have to join to attend the meeting, you can go as a guest. Guests actually get in cheaper than members. I think guests are $15 and members are $20. There will be displays of old tools centered around the meeting theme. Folks will have tables set up with their old tools for sale, and most guys would be interested in trading if you have something of interest to them. If you have an interest in old tools you will enjoy the meeting.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ah, my job of neaderthalization of woodartz will be complete the day he posts his new spring pole late!

Dean, I think its a great org to join. The Gristmill is a very tool geeky publication. Some really nice color pics of great tools and some fascinating history.

The annual item is also quite helpful. In the past, catalog reprints and in depth histories. I got a CD full of stuff on the Bit-n-Brace.

Some of the schools also offer discounts to members.

They are focused on the tools and collecting. More so than use or furniture, unlike say the SFPFM.

If you like the tools from days of yor, its well worth it to be a member.

Jim

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm a newbie, but I would like to go. I'm looking for a good user bit brace and block plane.
Look forward to seeing you there! Just give the ladies my name as your sponsor if they ask. Also...write "NCWW" on your nametag so we can find you.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Re: Add MWTC meeting to Upcoming Events?

I received the info on the meeting in the mail yesterday. The meeting theme is "Transportation and Trading Paths" with tool displays on "Tools Realted to Transportation and Trail Blazing". The presentation will be "Surface Transportation Technology 1600-1900" by MWTCA member Tom Magnuson who founded the Trading Path Assoc. a non-profit group dedicated to the study, mapping and protection of colonial era transportation infrastructure. Should be a really interesting historical presentation with a lot to learn. The old tools used in these trades will undoubtedly be interesting, and have a lot of unusual and odd tools that many of us have not seen before. The cost is cheaper than usual with $10 for members and $5 for non-members that includes coffee, soft drinks and doughnuts, as well as all of the meeting features including the trading tables, presentation and tool auction. I've gotten some nice stuff at this auction. Lunch is on your own. I encourage you to attend if possible.
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS