A couple o' projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
First, another jewelry box :roll: this time for my wife's SIL. Started it last weekend, and finished the finish this weekend. Purpleheart with a curly Maple top panel, Maple miter keys, and padded satin liner on the bottom (done as y'all have recommended :eusa_danc )

PHjewelryboxandrainbowthrower008.jpg

PHjewelryboxandrainbowthrower010.jpg

The second is a rainbow thrower from Woodcraft Mag. latest issue. The prism is ground glass, military surplus (prolly from a tank periscope). When placed on a window sill in the sun it will cast a rainbow across the room. Walnut and curly Maple, hand turned dowel.

PHjewelryboxandrainbowthrower006.jpg

The prism came with a chip in it...I didn't do it :eusa_whis

Tom, did I do alright ??????

Thanks for looking :-D :-D :-D

Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dave, the box looked great when Roger and I saw it on Saturday. The finish you put on it turned out very well and I like the padded lining you added to the inside of the box.

You sure made quick work of that rainbow catcher. That looks really sharp too. I bet the upcoming class you are going to teach at Woodcraft will be a hit with anyone that signs up for it.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
Dave, as always - superb work! It must be nice to be a woodworker who actually gets some woodworking done on a regular basis! :lol:

b4man

New User
Barbara
Dave,
How in this world do you have time to work a day job? Your woodworking is amazing for someone who doesn't do it for a living.
For that matter someone who does!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dang Dave! Do you sleep?????

As DL stated, we can attest to quality of the jewelry box. 'course, that was Saturday afternoon, by Sunday nite he sneaked in the prism 8-O

Great work per usual Dave and I really enjoyed the shop and "box" tour yesterday. The variety of styles is astonishing folks :eusa_clap

Kudos to LOYL and darling daughter for enduring our trespasses :mrgreen:

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Alan in Little Washington said:
Very nice. Where did you get the prism may I ask?

Well I was gonna include a link but it is in my inbox at work :eusa_doh: Tom Ferrone got the prism for the project from a company that sells opticals (microscope stuff, and things like that) It looks like there are several companies that sell these kind of things. It cost around $15 IIRC.

Found it http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?subsection=21&category=189

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
sapwood said:
Great work per usual Dave and I really enjoyed the shop and "box" tour yesterday. The variety of styles is astonishing folks :eusa_clap

Kudos to LOYL and darling daughter for enduring our trespasses :mrgreen:

Roger

Roger/D L, thanks for coming by, I don't get many vistors, especially one's who are willing to endure the "box" tour...somehow folks have a hard time finding my house :slap:

BTW, my daughter told me that my friends are "nice" and asked when are they coming over to play again :lol: :lol:

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Dan,
Beautiful work! That purple Heart with the Maple makes it stand out! I have some purple heart I will have to try and use it! Good Job Dan! Terry:eusa_clap

T

toolferone

DaveO said:
The second is a rainbow thrower from Woodcraft Mag. latest issue. The prism is ground glass, military surplus (prolly from a tank periscope). When placed on a window sill in the sun it will cast a rainbow across the room. Walnut and curly Maple, hand turned dowel.

PHjewelryboxandrainbowthrower006.jpg

The prism came with a chip in it...I didn't do it :eusa_whis
Tom, did I do alright ??????

There was no chip in that prism when I gave it to you:-D !

Looks good from the picture, but looking forward to seeing it in person. When you coming by?

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Looks sharp Dave!
Did you end up heating the purpleheart to get the color you wanted? I'm just curious if that technique worked.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Nice work Dave. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I especially like the box. Did you use barrell hinges? Maybe one day I'll try a box.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Chris, the Purpleheart changes on it's own and the shellac finish didn't effect that change at all :eusa_danc

Tom,I hope to come by and drop it off today, around lunch.

Dolan, yep, I used my favorite barrel hinges again.Cheap, and easy to install once you get everything dialed in. I have a dedicated drill bit for them with a depth stop attached, and a good system for laying out the hole locations.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Very nice as always:eusa_clap
the rate in which you turn them out is amazing.
Maybe someday I can to one half that good:eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors