Search results

1. D

WOODWORKS Woodworking Show

I was sorry to see the latest schedule with no Charlotte show. I emailed the company and they just said that they were not going to be in Charlotte this year. I didn't get the impression that they were considering returning anytime soon. I've gone almost every year that its been held there. I...
  2. D

Spraying problems

What is the viscosity of the paint? It needs to be matched to the needle/nose that you are using in the gun. Without knowing what it is you're just shooting in the dark when you add Flowtrol and/or water. From your description, I would guess that the viscosity of your paint is too high (paint is...
  3. D

Hello from Greensboro

Welcome aboard Al from another Greensboro-ite. Fantastic looking clocks! How many hours did it take you to build the clock in the first picture? Dave
  4. D

A Few New Ones

Very nice! What finish did you use?
  5. D

Substitute for Walnut?

Historically, butternut has been called 'white walnut' or 'the poor man's walnut.' It is in the walnut family and is a lighter color and a little lighter in weight. A little stain can make it look almost identical to black walnut. It has generally been cheaper than walnut and considered an...
  6. D

Moisture Meter Preference?

Doug, I use the Wagner MMC220 and really like it. It is a pinless model, a little pricey but is very easy to use. One advantage of a pinless meter is that it measures moisture 1/2"-3/4" into the wood. This avoids the problem that Gofor mentioned since a pin model can only read at the depth of...
  7. D

Cleanup after spraying BIN

J.C., I frequently spray BIN in a dedicated gun. I clean it fairly soon after spraying (typically an hour or less.) I've never used anything but denatured alcohol to clean the gun. I'll spray some alcohol to flush and then disassemble the gun and let the parts sit in more alcohol overnight...
  8. D

Tung Oil

I like the deep look that oil can give some woods. But if I want a tougher topcoat, I'll first spray a barrier coat of shellac. This will usually a 1-1/2 pound cut of dewaxed alcohol based shellac or Target's Sealcoat water based shellac. I then can apply a tough topcoat like water based lacquer...
  9. D

Turnings other than pens?

Gary, Nice looking watches. I've turned a few dozen pens but this seems like a good alternative. Where idi you buy the movements and chains? Dave
  10. D

Digital Angle Gauge

I bought one of these at the local Woodcraft earlier this week. What a neat tool! It's also brain-dead easy tool to use. It's a lot quicker than using a square (and probably more accurate depending on your eyesight) to check out a table saw blade angle. And it's MUCH better in setting a miter...
  11. D

false table apron

I'm assuming that this is a table that people sit at rather than a display table. If so, is there a chance that someone sitting where the removable apron is knocking it loose? It might be embarrassing to 'break the host's table' at a party. Rare earth magnets, especially the 1" diameter ones...
  12. D

Turntable help

Amy, I'm getting ready to build a pull-out/swivel for a wide TV myself. I was planning on using some heavy duty full extension slides and a 17" diameter lazy susan for limited swivel. The heavy duty slides are fairly tall so I was planning on building up the height of sides of the base that...
  13. D

How would you resaw 22+ inch wide slab?

Alan, You're right of course but since I was fortunate enough to find a 22" wide plank it somehow seems sacrilegious to cut it in half. As you say, I suspect that very few, if any, people would notice. But I would know and it would drive me nuts! Dave
  14. D

Thanks John and Jeff. Jeff, I'll shoot you a PM.
  15. D

I've got a slab of Honduras Mahogany that I would like someday to resaw to make two single-board tabletops. It is 22+ inches wide by 2 3/4 inches thick and 42 inches long. I looked at a Laguna 37" bandsaw that looked like it would do it but at 7+ grand I decided there must be a better way (it's...
  16. D

A new trivet

Great effect! Looks like it's 3 feet deep. How did you do it?
  17. D

Latest commission piece

Mike, Very nice! I just completed a lowboy and used pinched corners on the top as well. They're not nearly as easy as they look. The fact that you can get them to work out on the corners with rule joints is impressive. I'll bet that took some time to figure out! Dave
  18. D

Bandsaw tires

Tom/Roy, Good inputs. Thanks. The old rubber tire had an inside protrusion that mated with the groove in the wheel. I assume it was for alignment purposes. Do the urethane tires also have them or don't they matter? Thanks again for your thoughts. Dave
  19. D

Bandsaw tires

I've had a 20" Delta bandsaw for a lot of years. The (original) tire on the lower wheel just 'blew up' this afternoon. Half of the tire ended up in the top half of the saw, dragged there by the blade. Chunks of rubber and lots of ground up rubber dust were everywhere. The blade, by the way, is a...
  20. D

Flouorescent bulbs

Mike is right. 6500K is at the far end of the spectrum (short wavelength), very blue and probably gives off quite a bit in the UV range. I use 5000K fluorescent bulbs in my shop for color matching and the colors match what I see in filtered sunlight very well. For any given temperature light...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS