Substitute for Walnut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
A good friend of mine is wanting to build something and wants the look of Walnut without the expense. What is a good alternative wood for this look?

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
I dont think you will be happy with anything else if you have walnut in mind and go with an exotic or some substitute (my 2 cents). For workability, color and style walnut is pretty unique.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
You could rip down and glue up some pine 2x4's and apply minwax walnut stain :slap:

or you could drive out to Kyles and get some walnut at a reasonable price :eusa_danc

pete

dave_the_woodworker

New User
Update your profile with your name
Historically, butternut has been called 'white walnut' or 'the poor man's walnut.' It is in the walnut family and is a lighter color and a little lighter in weight. A little stain can make it look almost identical to black walnut. It has generally been cheaper than walnut and considered an excellent substitute. But, unfortunately, I hear that a blight has been attacking it and prices have come up quite a bit. A check of several lumber suppliers shows it to be right around the price of true walnut. Noit much help I'm afraid.

Given all that, I think Pete's suggestion is a good one (the part about going to Kyle's, not the staining of 2x4s!:lol: ). It's hard to make most woods really look like walnut.

Has your friend considered using walnut plywood for a majority of the project to reduce the overall cost? I just got some at Wall Lumber yesterday and it looks pretty good.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Well I googled your question and this is what came up first.

Willow

Half way down it said this.

Main Uses
Furniture, mouldings and millwork, paneling, doors, sports equipment, kitchen utensils and toys. Good walnut substitute

Dont know if you can get it local though, but it would be worth a try.

Update: Here is a supplier
Woodfinder: Your Source for Lumber, Veneer and Sawmill Services

this is the info for black willow

[FONT=comic sans ms, helvetica, arial][SIZE=+3]Search Results[/SIZE][/FONT]
bluerule.gif

Here is the information on the supplier you selected.
Please tell them Woodfinder sent you!

[SIZE=+1]Backlund Paddles[/SIZE]
Address: 551 Dinnerbell-Ohiopyle Rdhttp://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Py...yle+Rd&csz=Ohiopyle,+PA+15470&Get+Map=Get+Map Ohiopyle, PA 15470
Phone: 724-329-0793 E-Mail: backlundpaddles@juno.com
Business Information[SIZE=+1]>[/SIZE] Retail or retail/wholesale supplier [SIZE=+1]>[/SIZE] Mail orders accepted [SIZE=+1]>[/SIZE] Sells musical instrument wood [SIZE=+1]>[/SIZE] Sells boatbuilding wood [SIZE=+1]>[/SIZE] Offers custom milling
Wood and Wood Products[FONT=arial,geneva][SIZE=+1]"Best Willow I've seen in 30 years of paddle making"[/SIZE][/FONT]
HARDWOOD LUMBER: Black Willow (Salix Nigra)

The color of this willow varies from rose red to orange to off-white.

All air dried rough lumber, 8/4, random lengths and widths!

Significant PRICE BREAK on purchase of over 3000 bd ft!!

This willow could be use in blocking for violin frames!

Will custom cut to length.Wood/Product List Species/Product Description Price
Black Willow4-Aug under 200 ft$4.00 per bd
ftBlack Willowrandom lengths 200 - 500 ft$3.00 per bd ft
Black Willowrandom widths 500 - 1000 ft$2.00 per bd ft

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
I knew there would be some good feedback out here.

Unfortunately my friend lives in Florida and can't make it to NC for a load of wood ... but I'm going to pass on some of the ideas to him. Thanks! :icon_thum

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Historically, butternut has been called 'white walnut' or 'the poor man's walnut.' It is in the walnut family and is a lighter color and a little lighter in weight. A little stain can make it look almost identical to black walnut. It has generally been cheaper than walnut and considered an excellent substitute. But, unfortunately, I hear that a blight has been attacking it and prices have come up quite a bit. A check of several lumber suppliers shows it to be right around the price of true walnut. Noit much help I'm afraid.

Given all that, I think Pete's suggestion is a good one (the part about going to Kyle's, not the staining of 2x4s!:lol: ). It's hard to make most woods really look like walnut.

Has your friend considered using walnut plywood for a majority of the project to reduce the overall cost? I just got some at Wall Lumber yesterday and it looks pretty good.

Butternut is getting pretty expensive due to the blight..The grain is the same, but once you put in the labor to make it look like walnut it cost you more than if you bought premium walnut..

Think total cost :)

bonewood

New User
Alan
Where in Florida? I could get him some of Kyle's walnut, or go by and
:slap: him for all the purists:roll: :lol:

I knew there would be some good feedback out here.

Unfortunately my friend lives in Florida and can't make it to NC for a load of wood ... but I'm going to pass on some of the ideas to him. Thanks! :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS