Search results

1. S

Festool Domino DF700 (XL) - Imperial Gauge Prototype

I quickly modeled and 3d printed a replacement gauge for the DF700 but in inch increments. I don't personally have a DF700, only a DF500. If anyone wants to test it out for me and give feedback, I can ship you the prototype for free. Let me know how it fits, works, and how much the text needs...
  2. S

G1071 Oscillating Spindle Sander - $750 (Troutman) GONE

Picked this one up, looking forward to using it. Just trying to find some Zirc paper for it if I can.
  3. S

Carbide Blades For DeWalt 735X Planer

The only downside to the carbide insert heads for a DW735 is that the diameter of the cutter head is much smaller than a heavy iron model. Thus, the knives come into the board at a steep angle of attack and leave very shallow scallops. I clean up boards with 80 grit afterwards but have been...
  4. S

Grizzly Combo 12” Jointer/Planer 120v

The heavy iron SCM or Feldor models are completely solid if you're talking about something like that. Where it can be touch and go is with the cheaper benchtop units.
  5. S

Grizzly Combo 12” Jointer/Planer 120v

I have heard a lot of heartache with the budget combo units (Jet), but don't have any experience with this Grizzly unit in particular.
  6. S

Rip-Offs continue

If you're referring to trademarks, they don't expire. I'm not sure what patent you may be referring to from Disney? Copyrights also last a loooong time.
  7. S

New Helical Cutterhead for DeWalt 735

The annoying part of the swap for me was not catching the detail about the spacer behind the pulley. It stuck to the end of my straight knife cutter head and when I re-installed the pulley, it fit in too deep without the spacer in place. The belt ended up running at an angle and shredded itself...
  8. S

Mirka Abranet vs Autonet

Saw this on a distributor page: Mirka Autonet Discs 150 mm "In comparison with Abranet, Autonet uses a heavier duty polyamide fabric mesh backing, which makes it stiffer and less flexible. The hook n loop backing is also of a slightly heavier grade. These characteristics generally mean that...
  9. S

3M P100 Advanced Respirator Filter 2297

I didn't catch the other thread but standard 3M P100's are pink (2091): https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000093499/ What you're thinking of is the 2297 which includes nuisance level organic vapor relief (2297) and are grey: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v000153256/
  10. S

New 3M sander ENDED

Also, most manufacturers will offer the pads in a variety of stiffness. If you sand edges a lot or want to ensure table tops are smoother, grab the stiff pad. Standard on most sanders I've seen is either a mid-range or soft pad.
  11. S

New 3M sander ENDED

If your hook and loop sanding discs aren't sticking, either the paper is bad or you melted the hooks on the ROS pad. If you angle your ROS and sand for more an a few minutes with the edge, that thin portion really heats up and melts the hooks.
  12. S

New 3M sander ENDED

Paper will be different, but I've moved to the mesh paper partly for that reason. Other reason is the big name mesh (mirka, 3m, klingspor) is their top of the line paper also. I had some swirls using Freud Sandnet at 60 grit until it broke in a little and I noticed some grit fall off. A bit...
  13. S

Festool, Bridge City Tools, etc Estate Auction in Statesville

I've seen the same on irsauctions and others. Heavily used equipment in commercial shops that run close to 80-90% retail before buyer's premium. Then I see stuff in PA and NY all the time sell for 20% retail and I'm like :/.
  14. S

New 3M sander ENDED

If you aren't looking to break into the 6" realm, the 125 REQ-Plus is "just" $215. I upgraded my $50 Bosch to it and can use it for up to an hour or so with limited residual vibration feeling in my hands. Normally that would happen pretty quickly with the cheapies.
  15. S

New 3M sander ENDED

IDK about physical specs, but for the brushless Festool models, everyone on the FOG forum say the ETS EC 150/3 vs 125/3 is the same sander, at least internally. Most people buy the 125/3 since the 6" pads can be fit on, whereas the 150 won't take 5" pads. Is you want the 5mm orbit though, would...
  16. S

Swirl marks and finishes calling for coarse sanding

Quality paper, slow speed, light pressure, and shop vac dust collection will solve any pigtail issues.
  17. S

Festool ETS 125 sander - SOLD

FWIW the 125mm and 150mm sanders are the nearly the exact same. The 125mm sanders will accept a 150mm pad, but the 150mm sanders won't accept a 125mm pad per festoolownersgroup.
  18. S

New User From Charlotte

The Appalachian Walnut Co in Lincolnton, NC is my go-to for rough-sawn walnut and cherry (and generally run thicker anywhere from 1/8 to 1/4 lol; so you pay for 4/4 and get almost 5/4 sometimes). Don't have a good retail spot for plywood besides big box. I've been to West Penn for anything...
  19. S

Harvey vs ? Bandsaw purchase

Laguna Resaw King is a good carbide blade but pricey. I started off with a 3/4" Woodslicer to get a hang of resawing without as much out of pocket if I screw something up. I'd stick to 3/4" for resawing even though they state it can handle 1" blades (from my reading on threads). There isn't...
  20. S

Harvey vs ? Bandsaw purchase

The Laguna guides are their own, Harvey uses hand-tightened bearings. I was eyeing either the Laguna 14|BX or the C14 and ended up with the C14. I think either would work fine. Harvey has 1/2 more hp, 2" more resaw, but the blade break is a little shitter from what I've read. The one annoying...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS