Rip-Offs continue

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I was about to make my own, but when I saw the price of the Milescraft I got it instead. I feel much more comfortable on certain cuts than a conventional push stick. The cost certainly beats the co-pay on a trip to the emergency room.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
It would seem the American system of IP is working as designed. It's nice to see that happen every so often.

The original inventor has enjoyed a period of exclusivity, thereby avoiding normal market forces. Now, with the inventor's investment repaid and wealth and riches secured, the citizens of the legal system that protected his investment for a period of time get to enjoy broader availability, lower prices, and greater table saw safety.

• Section 8 Enumerated Powers​

• Clause 8 Intellectual Property
    • To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

Reactions: drw

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
It would seem the American system of IP is working as designed. It's nice to see that happen every so often.

The original inventor has enjoyed a period of exclusivity, thereby avoiding normal market forces. Now, with the inventor's investment repaid and wealth and riches secured, the citizens of the legal system that protected his investment for a period of time get to enjoy broader availability, lower prices, and greater table saw safety.

• Section 8 Enumerated Powers​

• Clause 8 Intellectual Property
    • To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

Unless you're Disney, then you get to keep on extending protections on your IP until the end of time....

smurg

New User
Marty
Unless you're Disney, then you get to keep on extending protections on your IP until the end of time....
If you're referring to trademarks, they don't expire. I'm not sure what patent you may be referring to from Disney? Copyrights also last a loooong time.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
If you're referring to trademarks, they don't expire. I'm not sure what patent you may be referring to from Disney? Copyrights also last a loooong time.
I think he's referring to the copyright on Mickey Mouse, which was has been set to expire a few times, only to be extended. Bumped up to 75 years in 1976 (Copyright Act of 1976), and then increased to 95 years in 1998 (Copyright Term Extension Act, or colloquially the "Mickey Mouse Protection Act"). Their copyright on Mickey is set to expire in 2024. I'm betting they'll find a way to get it extended again.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think he's referring to the copyright on Mickey Mouse, which was has been set to expire a few times, only to be extended. Bumped up to 75 years in 1976 (Copyright Act of 1976), and then increased to 95 years in 1998 (Copyright Term Extension Act, or colloquially the "Mickey Mouse Protection Act"). Their copyright on Mickey is set to expire in 2024. I'm betting they'll find a way to get it extended again.
The "Mickey Mouse Protection Act" I thought that was referring to "newish" machine tools! LOL

NCJim

Jim
User
I see on Amazon, someone has ripped off the GRR Gripper push block. Looks absolutely identical but in white. No shame. At least Milescraft changed their a little.
Most likely both are made in China by the same company. China has no ethics.

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
Most likely both are made in China by the same company. China has no ethics.
Is this an American company that has a contract to purchase these in China and sell them here, or is it a Chinese company selling them directly in the US? Poor ethics is not limited to a particular country or people, it is worldwide. Either way it is legal to sell copies of this product.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS