Carbide Blades For DeWalt 735X Planer

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I destroyed my Delta planer...well actually it destroyed itself. I now have to replace it, and the overwhelming consensus of bench top planer reviews is that the Dewalt 735X is the best planer. The most common complaint about them is that the HSS blades that come with it don't last when planing hardwoods. I've read reviews about carbide edge blades and their claims they last 10x longer. Is anyone out there using aftermarket carbide blades? What's your brand and opinion, and can you resharpen them?

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Jeff--What brand of blades are you using? Over here in Western NC I use Misenheimer Tool out of Morristown, TN for sharpening. They run a pick up/drop off service route to Waynesville and handle all the commercial shops in this area. I called them, and they believe they cannot resharpen carbide tip blades. Something to do with being unable to clamp them in a sharpener, which doesn't make sense since they can resharpen the factory HSS blades. Go figure. I'm still searching for confirmation on whether or not aftermarket carbide tipped blades can be resharpened.

JSJ

Jeff
Corporate Member
I purchased them from Infinity Cutting Tools. I believe they are Florida based. You may want to call Union Grove about resharpening. I just assumed that they could be resharpened. I guess if they can't, I'll live by was ASSUME means.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
DW735 blades are indexed so sharpening is limited. They need to have similar amounts removed from each blade or they all won't make contact with the wood. I switched to Infinity's thicker HSS blades and have been very pleased. I would switch to a helical or similar head with carbide cutters before putting over half of that cost in straight carbide blades.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
Wiley, the Byrd company that makes the shellix heads is in eastern kentucky and not all that far from Waynesville. They will install the shellix head for a reasonable fee. I drove my 735 to them last Fall and well pleased

Echd

C
User
I bought a sheartak cutterhead for my 735x back when covid had Shelix way behind on orders.

There are purchases in my life I may regret but that absolutely is NOT one. I turned around and bought a Shelix cutter for my jointer right after.

(Proportionally speaking the Shelix and sheartak seem to be equivalent. Both work great)

I won't say it's lifechanging but it is one of the single best quality of life improvements I can think of in my shop. I love that thing. Cutterheads are indexable and last a very long time. I use mine a lot and have only rotated a few cutters and that was after hitting nails in material.

Expensive? Sure, but cheaper than blades in fairly short order if you do much with heavy wearing woods.

The install takes a little over an hour the first time you do it (I helped someone else install one and was a good deal quicker that time). The only fiddly part is getting a belt off a pulley. That does sort of suck. Everything else is easy.

Get a wixey DRO while you're at it. The Dewalt will remain a prosumer machine and still pale in comparison to a real heavy duty unit, but it is absolutely the way to go.

smurg

New User
Marty
The only downside to the carbide insert heads for a DW735 is that the diameter of the cutter head is much smaller than a heavy iron model. Thus, the knives come into the board at a steep angle of attack and leave very shallow scallops. I clean up boards with 80 grit afterwards but have been looking at drum sanders to help remove some of that manual work.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
FYI, Dynamic Saw out of Buffalo says they will sharpen carbide straight knives.

-Mark

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors