Festool, Bridge City Tools, etc Estate Auction in Statesville

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I am ISO a quality set of everyday working planes, but I am ignorant about which ones are quality workers, especially the older models. I can't afford high priced recognizable name brands. Is anyone going to this auction who is knowledgeable about quality working planes? I would like to meet up with you and get some advice. Thanks.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I am ISO a quality set of everyday working planes, but I am ignorant about which ones are quality workers, especially the older models. I can't afford high priced recognizable name brands. Is anyone going to this auction who is knowledgeable about quality working planes? I would like to meet up with you and get some advice. Thanks.
I joined the Midwest Antique Tool Collectors Assoc. Home Page - M-WTCA Area Q(NC) and partnered up with a departed friend from Heywood County, Randy Osborne (Ozziex). They have swap and shop sessions before/after their ~quarterly meetings spread around the state and offer better value for user hand tools than you'll see here. This auction will draw high end collectors/investors, not users. The Area M (SC/GA/AL) also has these meetings and may be more convenient to WNC.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
I'm not going to the auction but I'd be happy to give you some advice. Quality vintage planes are readily available and often extremely affordable. All it takes is a little looking.

There are different opinions as to the purchasing of hand tools.... all with some measure of merit.

I am of the position that most vintage tools made by the leading manufacturers are of as good or better quality than the ones made today by the boutique makers. I also believe they perform equally well. Opinions vary however.

I'd suggest you start a new thread. Ask a few questions and let the mahem begin.

If you prefer, I can PM you and we can discuss it privately. I love talking old tools and can give some basic information to get you started.

TomInNC

New User
Tom
Does anyone have experience with these types of auctions? The location is pretty close to me and there are some tools I could use in the list. There is a line that says "13% buyers premium." Does that mean you oay a 13% markup over the final bid?

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I'm not going to the auction but I'd be happy to give you some advice. Quality vintage planes are readily available and often extremely affordable. All it takes is a little looking.

There are different opinions as to the purchasing of hand tools.... all with some measure of merit.

I am of the position that most vintage tools made by the leading manufacturers are of as good or better quality than the ones made today by the boutique makers. I also believe they perform equally well. Opinions vary however.

I'd suggest you start a new thread. Ask a few questions and let the mahem begin.

If you prefer, I can PM you and we can discuss it privately. I love talking old tools and can give some basic information to get you started.
Hey Chris--Your setup on NCWW has got me blocked from sending you a PM. Please PM me, and we can start figuring out how I can find some appropriate planes. Thanks.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Does anyone have experience with these types of auctions? The location is pretty close to me and there are some tools I could use in the list. There is a line that says "13% buyers premium." Does that mean you oay a 13% markup over the final bid?

I always budget 20% on top of my bid to estimate my true cost. Be sure to know retail price before you bid, last auction I went to with heavy woodworking tools like this one, stuff sold for over retail price. I usually make a list of retail price of items I am interested in so that I don't overbid in the excitement of the auction.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
There's some quality tools in this auction. I'd even drive all the way there to see what pieces go for. It wood be an arm and be a leg in just gas then to spend more on tools... Maybe I'll win the Lotto tonight and be able to go.

smurg

New User
Marty
I always budget 20% on top of my bid to estimate my true cost. Be sure to know retail price before you bid, last auction I went to with heavy woodworking tools like this one, stuff sold for over retail price. I usually make a list of retail price of items I am interested in so that I don't overbid in the excitement of the auction.
I've seen the same on irsauctions and others. Heavily used equipment in commercial shops that run close to 80-90% retail before buyer's premium.

Then I see stuff in PA and NY all the time sell for 20% retail and I'm like :/.

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Well, that depends on your definition of a deal. Very few items were a good deal IMO. I was hesitant and lost out on a box of woodworking books for $14. I have most of the best titles in the lot, but....

As for the Bridge City tools, there was a national large reseller of tools on the phone bidding, and someone at the auction buying to resell. Between the two, they must have spent $16k and bought 80% of the tools. I bought a couple of items for a fair price.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS