Search results

1. spartyon8

Lasered Lake Topography Maps

Has anyone ever made one? I made one of High Rock Lake and Lake Norman but they are only two layers with no depth contours or points of interest around the lake. I want to make one of the Chippewa Flowage in Hayward, WI for a family member when we go up this summer. I haven't found any in depth...
  2. spartyon8

Dewalt Planer DW735x (no stand) SOLD

I am upgrading the planer in my shop and no longer need this. It is about 3 years old and is well taken care of. This is the version that has the folding infeed/outfeed tables. I put new blades in on Tuesday (1/17). I also have a video of it running because I will only do a meetup (the wife and...
  3. spartyon8

Cracks/Checks and How to Fix/Work

Good evening everyone. I have yet another question for the knowledgeable people on this forum. I bought two chunks of wood over the weekend (Osage Orange and Bolivian Rosewood) that both have cracks at an awkward angle and in a weird spot. I would like to turn these into live edge charcuterie...
  4. spartyon8

Well guys...I need some guidance about a well. I am feeling quite defeated.

I was hoping to find someone here with a little knowledge about wells. I am a fairly handy person and this has me feeling quite down as I cannot figure it out. We have had no water for 3 days now. Long story short, after all the rain from last week our well quit working Saturday afternoon. I was...
  5. spartyon8

Looking for help with carving letters in a large sign...near Winston-Salem.

I work at a small Catholic School and offered to make a sign for our library. We are dedicating the library to a Sister who is leaving our school after 40 years of service. The sign will measure around 16" x 72" and is all text (probably 2 lines). The sign will then be painted in our school...
  6. spartyon8

Portable Sawmill Help in Winston Salem

I am a teacher and we had a rather large tree that was the center of our playground fall today with the ice we had. My chainsaw is not large enough to mill and would like to give back to the school. Does anyone have a hookup on a portable saw mill close to Winston?
  7. spartyon8

Harvey Alpha HW110S-36P 4hp Cabinet Saw

I know that Harvey is somewhat of an "unknown" brand that we don't see or read much of. They have also been getting more buzz on the web lately with people interested. Well, a week before Christmas I took the plunge and wanted to let some of you know what I think about the saw so far. A little...
  8. spartyon8

Canary Wood and Rubio Monocoat (or something better?)

I was asked to make a long table for the back of a couch by the mother in law. She picked out a beautiful Canary wood slab with bright yellows. I know that Canary Wood tends to fade and want to protect it as best as I can. I also wanted to try Rubio on a table and figured this would be a good...
  9. spartyon8

Disposable Gloves

I used to use nitrile gloves from HF when I was heavy into car stuff and it carried over into my woodworking. Now that my stock is low I ventured to find some replacements. I should have known given the state of current affairs that they would be nowhere to be found. Does anyone have an...
  10. spartyon8

Delta T3 fence mysterious part

Does anyone know what this folding bar is for? I just put the T3 on my Ridgid 4512 and other than drilling a few holes all went well. I just don’t know what this thing is, I’ve never seen this before.
  11. spartyon8

Used Ridgid Table Saw fence (R4512)

I put on a new fence system and no longer need. I know this isn’t worth much as they are pretty crappy but figured someone might get some use out of it. Price...make offer.
  12. spartyon8

How do you remove glue stains from pine?

I made some lazy susans with the “Shou Sugi Ban” style but ran into a problem when burning. I sanded boards in progression up to 320. I used a damp rag to wipe off and it showed no sign of a glue stain. They only showed up after I burnt the wood. Are there any tricks or is it just the softwood...
  13. spartyon8

Bullet Love

I got a lathe about a month ago and can’t seem to stop playing. I took some red oak that I cut down and turned it into a cylinder. The cylinder turned into a bullet which has now turned into a gift for my dad (former cop and gun collector). It is a scaled 45acp that was going to be a round nose...
  14. spartyon8

Any idea as to type of wood?

My friend thinks this is a black gum but I am not so sure. Any ideas?
  15. spartyon8

New Lathe and First Turn

I used some money that I made from previous sales to buy a lathe. It isn’t anything special, just a harbor freight lathe and their cheap $20 tools. However, I was playing around with some scraps from other projects and it turned into a honey dipper. I did have a question though, 2 out of the 3...
  16. spartyon8

Coasters split and I don't know why.

I had some left over pieces from some cutting boards that i thought would make nice coasters. I ripped them to 1/4” on my bandsaw. I went to sand the first one and it split along the glue line of the padauk and purple heart. It was a clean split and a tight glue line. As this stumped me, I...
  17. spartyon8

Charcuterie/Cheese Boards

Hello, all! I just recently joined as I have been reading a lot of awesome information here. Joining felt like a must after taking and learning from you guys behind the scenes. I just started getting into woodworking this year and the wife asked me to make some cutting boards for Christmas...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS