Harvey Alpha HW110S-36P 4hp Cabinet Saw

spartyon8

Peter
User
I know that Harvey is somewhat of an "unknown" brand that we don't see or read much of. They have also been getting more buzz on the web lately with people interested. Well, a week before Christmas I took the plunge and wanted to let some of you know what I think about the saw so far.

A little background information:
I had a Ridgid R4512 that worked well for me but was seriously under powered for my needs. I was tired of the fence and put on a Delta T3/4 which was a phenomenal upgrade. Shortly after the new fence, the saw began making noises. I was told possibly bearing (even though it didn't sound like one). While it was still cutting the same and working like it should, minus the noise, I decided to sell it and purchase a new saw that would be my last. I am a hobbyist woodworker and make lots of cutting boards and such but want to start making cabinets and tables. Money is a deciding factor which is why I chose to not continue saving for a Sawstop. Enter the Harvey Alpha...

Harvey Alpah HW110S-36P

I purchase the Harvey Alpha saw for $2,100 the week before Christmas with a zero clearance insert, miter gauge (included) and mobile base. It shipped partially (still waiting on the zero clearance insert) 2 days before Christmas and made its way across country in under 2 weeks. The transit company used was kind enough to unload and bring it up my driveway to the garage door where I assembled it. Everything was packaged together in a very clean and organized way onto 1 pallet.

Mobile Base
The first thing I did was unbox and layout everything to measure for the base. The mobile base comes with 2 swiveling castors that, when depressed, engage stationary wheels on the opposite side. the metals brackets are 1/4" powder coated steel and well made. I had to measure the base of the cabinet for the plywood to mate to the wheels. Everything went well and had the wife use her man calves to help load the saw onto the base. Once on the mobile base, I began assembling the saw.

Assembly
The first part to the assembly was to clean all of the packing grease off, and they did not skimp on the "slime". It was here that I noticed a faint stain or discoloration in the cast iron but no sign of rust anywhere and it won't affect operation so I am fine with it. The 2 side tables are cast iron and needed a layer of painter's tape to shim them into place. The rails went on perfectly but here is where I have 1 complaint. The wing table is phenolic and very cheaply made/assembled. The fist bolt that I tightened (about 1/2 turn past hand tight) cracked the side plate of the phenolic. Not a biggie but I didn't buy the saw for that wing and I want to put a router extension there anyway. Complaint #2 is that the cast tables are all chamfered on the leading edge but the extension wing is not. I have hit my knuckles a few times on the square corner while adjust the fence and using my jigs. That phenolic is sharp! The last step was to put on the dust collection arm, overhead guard and bolt on the power switch. No issues there and it was all laid out well.

Miter Gauge
I am not sure why they charge so much for this. I do not find it any better than the Kreg one I had before. The micro adjust is nice but not sure I will need its use and the angle extension is awkward. I wish it was a flush cut and 90* to the table to support the work piece better. I understand why they did it this way but I am just not a fan. However, the fence is perfectly aligned to the blade out of the box, which is nice. The other issue, and to me is a big problem, is the smoothness of operation in the rail. There is a phenolic tab on the bottom of the gauge that is supposed to help it slide along the table. However, it sits below the bar that rides in the track and the transition to the table leaves a hump/ridge to get over. When using it to square up one of my cutting boards, that "bump" cause a little "bump" in the cut that required more sanding because the cut was no longer a clean cut. I think putting little plastic "dots" like Kreg does under the fence would almost solve this issue completely but there is no such thing or mention of any in the instructions/box. I miss the Kreg miter gauge.

Dust Collection
I have a HF dust collection system with a Thein baffle/chip collector and a Wynne style filter on top so take this with a grain of salt. The blade guard is nice and moves smoothly with the cut. However, it absolutely sucks for collecting any dust. I made the first few cuts without my apron and I was covered. The I put my hand over the "blade hopper" under the saw and barely felt air moving through the system. With the Ridgid, I had zero issues with dust collection. Maybe it's because of the small port that branches off to the blade guard? Either way, dust collection for me isn't very good. It is laid out well but I find it lacking air movement.

Fence
The jury is still out on how useful the High/Low fence with be for me. With that said, it is stout and moves freely. It took minor adjusting to get it parallel with the blade. I also do not notice any play on the end of the fence. It works just like a Beissemeyer. I do miss the little "cubby" that runs the length of the fence as the Harvey is just a rectangular tube. I was also worried about using certain jigs that utilize the fence with the High/Low but figured out that I can completely remove the aluminum extrusion fence for those jigs. I have already changed the measurment tape for one from FastCap. I find the FastCap tape easier to read but I had planned that change anyway.

Saw
"Feed me, Seymour!" Let me tell you, this thing is a beast. I had converted the Ridgid to run on 230v and was impressed at the instant start. This thing is in a league of its own. It runs smooth and has that pleasing hum to it. The blade tilt and raising mechanism are super smooth and the knurled locks are a nice touch that hold well. I never really liked the rubberized knobs with a rubber washer to lock the handles like on the Ridgid. I don't know if it is the dovetail design but this thing moves smooth and precise. I know many owners of the Ridgid had issues with the blade not keeping true while raising and lowering. I loaded up the saw with a Freud 60T Industrial full tooth combo blade and am super impressed with how this thing operates. I was also surprise to see that Harvey added eye hooks to the back panel of the saw. It keeps the blade wrenches easily accessible but out of the way. The riving knife also have a spot to hang. This brings me to the next point about the Harvey that I really like. The dust guard is attached to its own riving knife. All you have to do is turn and pop out a spring loaded pin in the riving knife to remove the entire assembly to install the other riving knife on its own. I really like that. The saw comes with 2 inserts, one for dado blades and one standard blade. These inserts are aluminum and really well done. I am not a fan of the screw lock on the front and it messes with keeping the plate level in the opening (think teeter totter). I really need that zero clearance to show up as I took for granted the difference in cut as well as the necessity for thin strip cutting. While I really like the eye hooks for the wrenches and riving knife, I wish they would have had a pocket or something inside the door for all of the allen wrenches. I really love the extra depth infront of the blade. It makes crosscutting my cutting boards alot easier. With that said, there is not a lot of room on the back side of the blade. Not a deal breaker but I had to revisit this a week later.

DIY Extras
I mentioned the lack of table behind the blade and I don't have a ton of room in my 1-1/2 car garage for a nice outfeed table. I made an 18" one the utilized existing holes in the rail and it solves my problem. I also took a Harbor Freight moving blanket to keep on top since I would like to take care of this new saw. I had to make new sleds for the ones with runners as the distance between miter slots is different that my Ridgid. No biggie as I was prepared for that anyway by giving my sleds to the guy who picked up the Ridgid. I plan on making a nice wooden replacement knob for the fence as the Harvey one is cheap plastic but that isn't really a minus in my mind.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and would purchase it again after knowing what I do now. I would not, however, purchase the miter gauge separately if I was in the market. I would get the Kreg one over this for half the price. I will report back if I find that I don't like the fence, but for now it seems fine. I also was wanting to purchase the new router extension wing they came out with but they have missed the mark on pricing with it in my opinion. Every part is sold separately and very pricey.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Great write up ! Post pixs or it is just a story ...... :p
I have used a couple Harvey's in the past, really liked them. My only concern in getting one was their communication with me when inquiring.
One thing that interests me is the option of Teflon coating the tabletop. Here in Hawaii cleaning rust off the saw table is a monthly effort.

spartyon8

Peter
User
I will get some photos tonight after work. I also had slow communication with them through email and no response on the phone. I checked in with them on Instagram and both Harvey and Bridge City responded.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
i have been looking really really hard at the 2hp. I liked the look of the miter gauge they were showing, but its good to know how it actually functions. I have the Kreg miter gauge on my wish list whenever it comes back in stock. I just went this weekend and got a quote on the Saw Stop and completely understand what you are talking about.

What other table saws did you strongly look into. I keep coming back the F2 Laguna as well.

spartyon8

Peter
User
I look into a Laguna and Grizzly. In my research of those I found out the Harvey makes many of their saws. I also read that Harvey manufactured the Sawstop for them too.

I attached two pictures of the miter gauge. Hopefully you can see the pad I was referencing on the bottom of it.

Attachments

• B947E5CB-E357-4C5F-8F6A-205C5C10EA39.jpeg
    B947E5CB-E357-4C5F-8F6A-205C5C10EA39.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 989
  • 588C0C6B-BA0C-4825-B1C6-FD1BAC46B512.jpeg
    588C0C6B-BA0C-4825-B1C6-FD1BAC46B512.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 713
  • CCE21D02-4B89-4116-9AFC-6968C322AE6A.jpeg
    CCE21D02-4B89-4116-9AFC-6968C322AE6A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 593
  • FB3255E8-5DAC-4265-8ED6-42DEBD9A4D9C.jpeg
    FB3255E8-5DAC-4265-8ED6-42DEBD9A4D9C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 615
  • 1CA41B2A-7CE8-4814-9738-A0A452928505.jpeg
    1CA41B2A-7CE8-4814-9738-A0A452928505.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 619
  • 1583B139-334A-45AE-9FD5-0F0719687710.jpeg
    1583B139-334A-45AE-9FD5-0F0719687710.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 634
  • 244F2A60-1F24-41B8-BED4-37C2F8C27724.jpeg
    244F2A60-1F24-41B8-BED4-37C2F8C27724.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 679

spartyon8

Peter
User
Not too bad. The legs on the extension wing needs to have the feet raised before you raise the saw. Once raised you are moving 500lb+. It did move fairly easily the 3’ from the other side of the garage door. I am not sure I would enjoy moving it out every time I had to use it if it was stored away.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Very nice ! .......... redeemed I say ! :) I see what you meant about the aluminum rip fence piece. I would think about removing and replacing with either HDPE or a hardwood that is real straight grain and hard like Bloodwood or something like that. Or you could use birch ply. Either way double up to 1.5"wide and add T-slot on the top at a minimum. That would be more versatile. Just an idea

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Harvey , being one of the actual OEMs, has made various tools for various brands, as has GeeTech and the others. Do not assume they make all of any brand, or for that matter, the way the industry works, make the same model year to year. Quality of the tool is what is specified. Any of the plants can make a fine tool or they can make junk. It is what the brand pays for. From what I can tell, Harvey self-branded seem to be a bit above average in features and quality. As soon as I get my Triumph running ( middle of a restoration) so I can access my bay door and overhead hoist, I want a Harvey 300.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Nice write-up!

I currently have a SawStop 3hp PCS and am considering selling it and purchasing the same Harvey you purchased. Call me crazy, or any other name you can think of but, this saw looks very promising.

I thought I was going to like the safety system on the SawStop but, it seems too finicky (?). If that makes sense.

Still deciding what to do.

Enjoy that Harvey!

Rory

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice write-up!

I currently have a SawStop 3hp PCS and am considering selling it and purchasing the same Harvey you purchased. Call me crazy, or any other name you can think of but, this saw looks very promising.

I thought I was going to like the safety system on the SawStop but, it seems too finicky (?). If that makes sense.

Still deciding what to do.

Enjoy that Harvey!

Rory
If you want to sell the Sawstop, i would be interested

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Not trying to hijack the original posting\thread but,

rcarmac
Robert
I'll make my decision by the end of next week... If I decide to sell it, I'll have an ad the following Monday.

Thank you for your interest.

Rory

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
i think Harvey is at 20% off right now.

rcarmac

Robert
Staff member