How do you remove glue stains from pine?

spartyon8

Peter
User
I made some lazy susans with the “Shou Sugi Ban” style but ran into a problem when burning. I sanded boards in progression up to 320. I used a damp rag to wipe off and it showed no sign of a glue stain. They only showed up after I burnt the wood. Are there any tricks or is it just the softwood like this pine that does it? I haven’t experienced this with my hardwood projects before.

Attachments

• 405CF3F9-6654-40B0-AF2B-A72106EB6B38.jpeg
    405CF3F9-6654-40B0-AF2B-A72106EB6B38.jpeg
    1,019.1 KB · Views: 155

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
You're kinda in the hardest position. You are basically done with the project.

Short answer - re-sand and redo finish. A good way to check on wood to see if there are glue stains, is to wet it with water or mineral spirits depending on how you are going to finish it. When it is wet the glue spots show up. Also, you could seal the wood surface prior to gluing, which would prevent the porous surface from absorbing the glue into the fiber. I don't use soft woods much, so maybe someone else has some suggestions.

Standard method approach would be something like this: Sand with 120 with a sander then by hand, wet the surface down with water. While the wood is wet, check for glue spots and circle with a pencil. Once dry, hit the spots with a cabinet scraper, then sand with 150 with a sander, then by hand.... etc. Make sure you go not gouge the surface when sanding, it is easy with soft woods. Use the scraper to check the plane of of the surface.
Based on the pix you would need to bring to a clean surface. Maybe find someone close who has a wide enough drum sander and run it through that then resand and finish. That would be the easiest.

spartyon8

Peter
User
Thanks for the response! I tried all of the tricks prefinish to find glue marks but these didn’t show up until after burning. Is wood glue more prone to penetrate further into soft woods like this pine? I am not so sure that more sanding will get rid of these. I made two, this one and another that didn’t have any glue stains. I guess I will have to start wiping squeeze out away during glues ups. I just hate the mess that comes with it.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Glue does penetrate certain wood grains easier than others.

You've got a tough one there.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I guess I will have to start wiping squeeze out away during glues ups. I just hate the mess that comes with it.

You didn't notice glue squeeze out right after it was glued? Don't wipe it with a damp rag! Let it sit for about 20-20 minutes until the glue "skins over" then carefully remove that with a chisel. The squeeze out removal is much cleaner than wiping it off.

I can't see a lot of difference in your picture after the ShoSugiBan scorching. It doesn't look all that bad so maybe just leave it alone and move on.

spartyon8

Peter
User
You didn't notice glue squeeze out right after it was glued? Don't wipe it with a damp rag! Let it sit for about 20-20 minutes until the glue "skins over" then carefully remove that with a chisel. The squeeze out removal is much cleaner than wiping it off.

I can't see a lot of difference in your picture after the ShoSugiBan scorching. It doesn't look all that bad so maybe just leave it alone and move on.
I did notice the squeeze out. I usually let it dry and use a scraper to pop it off. Otherwise I have to break out the moist rags. On end grain cutting boards I will wait for them to crust and scrape because I hate sanding end grain.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors