Looking for help with carving letters in a large sign...near Winston-Salem.

spartyon8

Peter
User
I work at a small Catholic School and offered to make a sign for our library. We are dedicating the library to a Sister who is leaving our school after 40 years of service. The sign will measure around 16" x 72" and is all text (probably 2 lines). The sign will then be painted in our school colors so nothing too fancy as far as carving goes. I was originally going to rout all the lettering by hand but am terrified of one little hiccup ruining the entire board. Do you have the capabilities or know of someone who might be able to do this around the Winston-Salem area?

Thank you,
Peter

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Are you looking for a CNC router or would you like it hand carved?
That will help people decide if they can help.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Im in Lexington with CNC , give me a shout!
Sounds like Chris has you covered but if you went with applied lettering it would simplify manufacturing and the fear factor of an oops.

albeit at the cost of more material.

-Mark

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Sounds like Chris has you covered but if you went with applied lettering it would simplify manufacturing and the fear factor of an oops.

albeit at the cost of more material.

-Mark

agreed, an inlay with raised letters is very easy to paint and looks really good, and I find easier to read especially at a distance versus engraved letters.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
agreed, an inlay with raised letters is very easy to paint and looks really good, and I find easier to read especially at a distance versus engraved letters.
Engraved letters are actually much easier to paint , you simply spray the entire top surface and then sand the top flat , leaving the paint down in the letters only.

Attachments

• IMG_0685.JPG
    IMG_0685.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 125

spartyon8

Peter
User
Thanks, guys. Chris, I replied to your PM. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks again, fellas!

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Engraved letters are actually much easier to paint , you simply spray the entire top surface and then sand the top flat , leaving the paint down in the letters only.
Is that easier than painting the overlay, no sanding required? ;-)

-Mark

spartyon8

Peter
User
I have to make a huge shout out to Chris for helping me cut the letters for this sign. He has quite the shop and took the time to show me around and answer questions about his cnc. If you ever need some thing cut, he does lots of cabinets, do not hesitate to hit him up!

Attachments

• 8BA84581-9668-4C91-AAF5-41C7330F5522.jpeg
    8BA84581-9668-4C91-AAF5-41C7330F5522.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 143
  • 145B942E-C605-4C62-BB87-0B2A8BE6FD67.jpeg
    145B942E-C605-4C62-BB87-0B2A8BE6FD67.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 136

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS