Any idea as to type of wood?

spartyon8

Peter
User
My friend thinks this is a black gum but I am not so sure. Any ideas?

Attachments

• A0F82F66-9FE2-4621-9AEC-188D3BD7EE33.jpeg
    A0F82F66-9FE2-4621-9AEC-188D3BD7EE33.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 216

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Looks like a black gum .......... they do get colorful in the fall. Harder than fir, not as hard as maple

spartyon8

Peter
User
It is in the middle of our yard and my wife wants me to take it down. Is the wood worth keeping and drying?

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It is in the middle of our yard and my wife wants me to take it down. Is the wood worth keeping and drying?

I'm curious. Why does your wife want this particular tree removed out of all of the many other trees in the middle of your yard? Are the others oak or maple in the background?

Black gum is not related to sweetgum and I don't know how it will be if you try to save some of the wood.

spartyon8

Peter
User
It is smack in the middle of the yard and looks out of place. The trees in the behind it are just on the other side of the fence line. We also have an algae/mold problem on the back side of the house where this tree is located. I thought it would also open up some more sun to help with that.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It is smack in the middle of the yard and looks out of place. The trees in the behind it are just on the other side of the fence line. We also have an algae/mold problem on the back side of the house where this tree is located. I thought it would also open up some more sun to help with that.

Good reasons to remove it. Carry on.

llucas

luke
Senior User
A friend was clearing a pasture a few years back and was taking down some black gum (sometimes called tupalo) and I snags some and turned some bowls...
IMG_4045.jpg

It turned ok, but split easily allong growth rings. Least desirable was that it took on a "muddy" appearance and lacked any redeeming grain pattern.
I'm not sure how it would be for furniture, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get any more

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
It is part of the Tupelo family of trees, Off white color/yellow to brown, not consistent,
It can twist and check when drying, Because it has a more porous type grain when dry it must be sealed correctly or it will experience movement. To me it is kinda like Poplar, tbh, a wood a rarely use except of backing. You might keep one section and a couple bucks to turn bowls with, just for curiosity.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Like any other wood, black gum can have major variations. I have turned some that was bland and others that had spectacular grain. You could also cut some turning blanks out and put them in the shade with some shavings on the top. Let them sit for a few weeks and then you might have some really nice spalted wood. When the tree is down, you can inspect the cut surfaces and see what it might have in terms of potential. At the least, it is wood available for turning and the practice is fun.

Roy G

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
This is piece of Tupelo I cut from a job site tree In Oct it is now about 14.5% moisture, it is close enough to dry to do something with.

The wood is not heavy but as you can see the graining looks more porous than harder woods.
Tupelo (2).jpg

Attachments

• Tupelo (1).jpg
    Tupelo (1).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 137

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Tupelo, Poplar, Black Gum Are related, but they are not the same tree, but are of the same class and order of tree types.

They all belong to the Nyssa family group of trees, this would include: The Black Gum, the Sour Gum, the Swamp Gum, the Tulip, Poplar and Tupelo.

Nyssa sylvatica - Plant Finder

Craig C

New User
Craig
Worth trying, IMO. Always fun to say "I made this from a tree in the back yard." Check it with a metal detector as you go.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors