workbench now complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

pviser

New User
paul
Just completed my workbench which, I'm embarrassed to admit, I started in February. Anyway, I wanted this to be my first and last dedicated woodworking bench. Borrowing heavily upon published ideas in Fine Woodworking, the extremely heavy project is comprised entirely of hard maple. During the latter stages, the pieces were so heavy that I was dependent upon my muscular sons for assistance. The weight and dimensions took my power tools to the very limit of their capacities. You can see that I elected T-track over dog holes. The 16 mortise and tenon joints employed the technique of dadoing, then laminating the two halves to form a mortise. This allows a near-perfect fit. All of the joints are through tenons, un-necessarily reinforced with screws dipped in epoxy, then capped with square sapele plugs trimmed into pyramids. The 8 exposed through tenons have large chamfers for purely aesthetic impact. The apron ends are attached with the breadboard technique, using Lee Valley's oval washers to allow the lag heads to be firm, yet slide with seasonal changes. I then inlayed maple patches to cover the lags, using hide glue in case I have to make lag screw adjustments in the future. My two vises are Veritas, their quick-release front vise and their popular twin screw vise, both faced in leather. Trying to be a responsible steward of resources, I made the front jaws of both from cherry and walnut scraps too small to use for anything else. Overhead, I have three LED fixtures totalling 36,000 lumens. The base rests on 3/4" thick pieces of pure phenolic in order to avoid wicking moisture from my dry (but still bare) concrete floor. Now, finally, I have a bench for the handwork that I enjoy so much.
facebook_.JPG

NCWW4.JPG

NCWW_4_.JPG

facebook.JPG

facebook_2_.JPG

NCWW_3_.JPG

facebook_3_.JPG

NCWW_6_.JPG

NCWW_5_.JPG

NCWW_2_.JPG

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I've never seen the track idea before. I like it! One question. What do you use for a dog. Are there any slippage problems?

Pop

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful piece of work. Will last for generations and be enjoyed by all!

Well done!

llucas

luke
Senior User
That is Marvelous! Such attention to detail! An amazing piece of work....thanks for sharing.

pviser

New User
paul
Thanks, guys. I have promised my wife that I will wait a while before making another project that doesn't even leave the shop.

thsb

New User
Tim
looks great! where did you get the stamp with your name on it? that seems like it would be nice to have.

Tim

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Paul, absolutely stunning! But knowing you as well as I do, I'd expect no less craftsmanship and attention to detail. Thanks for posting!

Kettrell

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Just completed my workbench which, I'm embarrassed to admit, I started in February.

February of which year? 2015?

If, hypothetically, I would take on a project of this scale I would be writing something like: "Just completed a project that I am PROUD to admit I started just a few short years ago... only 5 years in this case."

Of course that is a hypothetical case because I am not sure I would undertake something like this, and if I did I certainly would not be able to complete it in the same calendar year!

Great work! Well done, and well documented.

Henry

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great work Paul.
I will be curious to see how you like the T-track versus ??? (Not sure what you were using before)
I LOVE that laminated chop on the vise!
The square sapele plugs are a nice touch too.

How tall are you and what height did you choose for the top?

Will you have a video of taking a hammer to the top? (I heard you have to break them in so you don't feel bad when you nick or ding you new baby!) :rotflm:

cpw

New User
Charles
I've never seen the track idea before. I like it! One question. What do you use for a dog. Are there any slippage problems?

Pop

Paul,

I'll be interested in how the T-track does as well.

I've been "planning" a bench in my head for about four years and I've mulled T-track over several times. I like the idea of being able to put a clamp or stop just about anywhere, but I am curious how it will stand up to the pressure and pounding, and how apt it is to "swallow" sawdust, woodchips, drill bits, etc. At least with dog holes that stuff falls through, presuming you drill them through.

Charles

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Absolutely beautiful, Paul. A work of art. I think you should submit that write-up and photos to Fine Woodworking for their annual "Tools and Shops" issue. And let us know if tears are shed the first time it gets dinged. I know I would. :swoon:

pviser

New User
paul
Thanks again for your interest, feedback, and questions. I will cover them briefly here:

1. The T-track idea has been previously done and published by Fine Woodworking. I liked the idea from the start given the range of possibilities with jigs, attachments, and workholding. For me, toughness (compared to dog holes) is not really an issue. These T-tracks are plenty strong for my intended use in the latter steps of a project, tasks such as joinery, chiselling, inlay, and other decorative detail. During the first steps of a project, on the other hand, I use what I call my work table, a low table with a top of two glued-together 8 X 4 sheets of 3/4" plywood. That 's where the rough lumber goes first for the initial handling, followed by the machine stages of jointing, planing, and ripping. That's also where I do pipe clamp glue-ups and other big messy steps. That's where I have the dings, old finish, and dried glue.
2. The bench height is 37 1/2" (I am 6'0"). This is 5 1/2" higher than "The Essential Workbench" design in FWW's Best Workbenches. As with the T-track choice, the height choice is based upon my intended use for the detail work of a project. I will not be planing a rough cut maple plank with a scrub plane! Instead, my uses will be mostly close detail work, light on physical intensity and racking forces. I want my face close to the action.

Thanks again for your interest. It has been fun to bounce around workbench ideas in this post and others.

Richo B

New User
Richo
I knew I had seen that bench before. That workbench book and all its previous editions are quite valuable resources for generating ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors