Workbench from "scrap"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
We all know it's not really scrap, or as someone on here says, "It's not scrap until I say it's scrap.". We replaced our kitchen counter tops several years ago and I kept the top from the island knowing I would do something with it someday.

I also had some treated 4x4's from a fence that was torn down a couple years ago (getting the idea....I don't throw much wood away). So for $12 in 2x4's and about $20 in hardware I have a hoss of a workbench. It's 35"Wx59"Lx33"H and solid as a rock. It has a formica top and I considered covering it with a piece of plywood, but that would have been an extra expense (I'm cheap, too :gar-Bi).

Now all I need to do is add bench dogs, maybe a shelf and a couple of drawers and I'm good to go.

bench17.jpg

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
It definitely looks solid. Nice job.

And, like I tell my wife, I'm not cheap, I'm 'green'.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Ain't nothing wrong w/ cheap. Of course, around company, it's called frugal. :rotflm: The bench looks really sturdy and ought to last a long time. :icon_thum

Bill

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Your workbench contains two of my favorite things, functional and practical. Nice job!

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
How far apart you think the bench dogs should be and how many should I do?

cskipper

Cathy
Great use of "scrap"! That should have earned you at least one new [STRIKE]toy[/STRIKE] tool...

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
How far apart you think the bench dogs should be and how many should I do?

Nice job on the bench. I am not sure about spacing and number; I think that depends on what you will do with it. But be aware that your dogs might need collars. :rolf: Seriously, holes in MDF can get "wallowed out" pretty easily and some people epoxy in a metal collar (cut piece of pipe).

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Cheap is good ! :gar-La; Nice job on the workbench.

As far as the dog spacing goes, I would go 4" on center, you could go almost as long as your vice opens. The choice is yours, but if you don't have a quick release on you vice I wouldn't space them too far apart.

Good luck,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS