Woodworking books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
One thing I can never get enough of is woodworking information; tips, techniques, jigs, patterns, plans, etc. I do have few reference books at home and I certainly buy way too many magazines on the topic.

I'm sure everyone already knows this place...

I've been going to the North Wake Library for a lot of reference material. Their collection of books on woodworking is growing rather impressive. They cover just about every aspect of woodworking and the books range from beginner to very advanced.

Not sure how other systems work, but the Wake County library has a computerized catalog that will allow you to order up a book from any or their branches. They will deliver it to your local branch for you to pick up. I'd be willing to bet all of the systems in the state will offer similar services.

If you don't spend it on books, you have it to spend on wood.

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I have also found a good collection of ww'ing books in the Johnston Co. library system. While I was supposed to be layed up after my knee surgery, my wife got me many to read through. The best being Understanding Wood Finishes, and Knowing your Wood. I didn't want to return them to the library, they are great reference boks to have.
Dave:)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Little more info...I wanted a book that Wake didn't cary, but they found it by ISBN in Texas and had it delivered to Eva Perry for me. Took about a month.

sapwood

New User
Roger
I visit the Durham County library frequently. The online service is superb and you can get any selection sent to your nearest branch. They have some excellent books, but the selection is pretty limited. And regretfully they only subscribe to one woodworking magazine :cry:

Sapwood

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
I beleive that most libraries in North Carolina have books on WW or can get alot of them. Cumberland County is no different than Wake and Johnston Counties. I also use Books a Million and Barnes and Noble Booksellers. I too can never get enough of woodworking books! Terry:idea: :lol:

M

McRabbet

I wish I could say I concur with everyone's observations on local library holdings, but Henderson County's library holdings are quite limited. They've added maybe 3 books in the past 2 years and they might have a total of 40 books in the main library shelf holdings on woodworking. I drive to Asheville to browse in Books A Million or Barnes and Noble to see any current publications.

Rob

R

rickc

Another source to check out are your local woodworking clubs. The Triangle Woodworker's Association has a nice growing colleciton of books and videos as well. There is a list of books and videos at the TWA website. However, I noticed it is a bit dated. Any club members may borrow the books/videos and keep them for a month. Not a bad deal. I also suspect if there is a book out there which would be of interest to a number of members, the librarian might purchase it to add to the collection. Another fringe benefit of club membership!

cskipper

Cathy
Same for Rutherford county libraries. We'll just have to live vicariously through the other's and buy ones we want!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors