Wood working school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I know there are a few schools in North Carolina and a few fine craftsmen teach in their shop. But most folks don't seem to take many classes and I was wondering why.

Have you taken classes and where?
What did you think of the experience?
What is a reasonable fee? By the week? Day? or other
Do you expect a place to stay included? Meals?
Do you only want nationally known instructors? or as long as the skills are taught well and the facility is nice you're happy?
How nice would the shop have to be?
What other skills beside woodworking would you like to learn?
Would you go during the week or only on the weekend?
What would it take to get you into a class?

Who can guess what I'm thinking?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Gee... What is Mike thinking.:dontknow:

I have taken a couple classes. One was at Woodcraft (1/2 day) and the other at a private studio (all day). I would love to take some of the classes offered at the John Campbell School. I wish they opened a closer location.

With that said If someone was to open a new school I would think you would need some nationally or internationally known instructor at least in the beginning. One would also need a range of classes of various lengths. I would stay away from the food and lodging part all together.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have signed up for local classes that didn't pan out (too few students) and taken a few freebies at woodworking shops, so my opinion is not the best, but...

Basic skills can be learned free; I don't think you want to compete with that. I mean how to safely use the "mainstream" tools for common operations.

But, the more specialized it is, the less people it appeals to. Somewhere in the middle is best, I think.

There should be a takeaway - build, carve or turn something special.

I would not expect a place to stay to be included unless there was nothing nearby.

I would not expect meals unless there was nothing close enough to get lunch quickly, in which case I would expect lunch included.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Pendland school of the arts gave some a few years back and I think if enough people are interested they will set something up for a class.

Mark

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I've taken a class from Edwards Mountain Woodworking (willarda). The class was designed for a small group. The skills taught (hand cut dovetails) were informative, fee reasonable, one-day class. I don't know if Bill is nationally known. Bill provided us w/ lunch, after asking for ideas on what students would like for lunch.

Meals ought to be included if there is not a place to eat within 15 minutes of the class. That way, you won't lose 2hrs of class time with the going to and from.

I would expect not lodging to be included, unless class was longer than 2 days, and the shop was some distance from the nearest motels. Sometimes, at the end of the day, you may want a break from the shop talk. So putting a group up at a motel, even if there is nearby entertainment, could provide too much "togetherness".

The shop? I expect if to be relatively clean, with equipment and tools better than mine. :wink_smil

I look for classes at least a month in advance.

Besides WW'ing? Sharpening, jig building, design type stuff.

I can attend a class during the week, if the location is not too far removed from my home/work. Weekend classes can be Friday - Sunday, or Saturday - Monday.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Yes, Woodcraft - Woodguy - JC Campbell
Woodcraft - OK, I imagine it varies a lot by instructor
Woodguy - I took his first free dovetail class. Good class and a fun day
JC Campbell - A woodworking vacation! Something for everyone. All excellent.
Free is good;-)
Depends - If local, no. If I were to go out of town, yes
Do you only want nationally known instructors? or as long as the skills are taught well and the facility is nice you're happy?
Known instructors are expensive but attract students. For example, I went to the Hickory extravaganza just to see Wayne Barton (chip carver). You need someone who is a good teacher as well as a good woodworker.
Can vary - Doesn't have to be fancy but is has to be functional. Campbell is rustic but has plenty of room to work.
Personally I'm good with wood. For others I'd consider building instruments and teaching music. Pottery - Weaving - Sculpture (just check the Campbell catalog!)
I imagine you'd get more retired folks for weekday classes.
I enjoyed the classes I've taken but cost is a big issue. The Campbell thing was as much vacation as woodworking so I could justify the cost that way. Woodguys dovetail class was good but I wouldn't pay to learn to cut dovetails for 2 reasons. 1. There is so much free info available and 2. It's just not that hard to do. It takes practice to get it right but it's just cutting and chiseling to a line.
If I take a class it would be for something that is difficult to learn from a book. For me that would be relief and/or architectural carving techniques. I imagine turning would also be in that category.

?????? Not me!!!
Are you thinking of something out of a small shop or opening a woodworking resort???

pete

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, let me throw this out. Roy Underhill aka The Woodwright is scheduled to open a school in Pittsboro sometime in 2009. Might be tough to compete.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
> I've taken about four classes and sat through a bunch of demos. All of which were within driving distance. I've drooled over some classes given in other states, but the investment for travel has been too much to overcome.<

> I think I picked up something from most and a lot from at least one of them.<

> I think $100 to $150/day is reasonable for nationally recognized instructors.<

>As long as a hotel is available nearby, I'd leave that to them. One of the reasons I haven't gone to J.C. Campbell is the lack of lodging choices. (maybe a perception issue on my part??)<

>I prefer instructors with a good reputation... local, national or otherwise.<

> Nicely equipped with enough space to be comfortable. There's nothing more frustrating than paying for a class, then wasting time with bad equipment or squeezing into a cramped space.<

> What else is there? :wink_smil

>Both. Although I'm more likely to attend a weekend class that might include a Friday.<

> Good price, good instructor, nice shop, pertinent material...<

>Good luck! :icon_thum<

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I have taken one class at Woodcraft and Toolferone was the instructor. Great class, great time!

Awosome. I would love to take more.

Cost was more than fair. My work paid for it. I just had to get there.

No

I don't care who is teaching, as long as they are good. As I said, Toolferone was my instructor, and I have never heard of him. He was great.

Nice enough to work with out tripping on stuff. That is how my shop is. It ain't great, but it serves its purpose. I don't need an Olympic pool to teach someone to swim, do I?

Marketing. Design. Art.

Depends on LOML...

Needs to be close and within my budget.

Who can guess what I'm thinking?[/quote]
Traveling WWing school?
The NC School of WWing?
Free classes at Tom's Dream Shop?
Bribe Norm, David Marks, and Roy with NC BBQ?

bwat

New User
Bill
Yes, always interested in learning new skills. I agree with most of the posts. My schedule (work & family) restrict my options to a vacation or long weekend. Most of the commercial schools are expensive & too far away for the daily or weekend option. The quality of the instructor's ability to TEACH is the key.

lottathought

New User
Michael
I would LOVE to take some classes.
In fact, I have a buddy getting me some info on Furniture making out at NC State. Apparently it is part of an engineering program. I am hoping that they offer classes when I can take them.
My biggest drawback to taking classes to date has been that most have been during weeknights.
My wife teaches a night class every Mon-Thurs nights.
That means I have to watch my son and can not make the classes.

Actually, I have done a lot of thinking about this lately.
What would be really nice is a semester style of classes to take.
Perhaps a couple of months of weekly classes.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I am thinking about building a bigger shop, room for maybe 5 students and also some cabins for students or just a vacation. It would be a couple years before I could get it ready to start classes.

Lower cost, flexibility and the total learning experience are some of the things I think are missing. Attracting well known instructors would be one goal. Offering a wide range of opportunities would be another.

Working/learning retreat is part of the concept I am looking at.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I would love to take some classes. The way things have been lately the weekends are the only time that I have any time to think about taking classes. I would love to take some classes on Chairmaking, Dovetails, things like that.

As far as instructors go as long as they are competent I don't care either way. I have found in other industries that Nationally known guys are not always the best to learn from at least in my opinion.

On the lodging front, at my current Job we leave that up to the student. We do provide a list of close hotels or relatively close in some cases.

The shop like others have said doesn't have to be showroom quality but I would expect to have good quality tools that are sharp and ready to go and good quality doesn't mean they need to be new either.

As far as the fee goes I couldn't even venture to say what would be a good price since I have not taken any classes yet and don't know what price point would keep me from coming. I also think it depends on what you are teaching. I would think a Dovetail class would be cheaper than a Windsor Chair Class.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Working/learning retreat is part of the concept I am looking at.

"The Zen of Woodworking" become one with the wood!
Meditation and Tai Chi optional :wink_smil

Are you thinking of attracting couples/families? When Carol and I went to Campbell she took a weaving class and I took carving. That was the attraction. We both had something to do.

pete

skeeter

New User
Charles
Finishing class from Woodguy. Signed up for a beginners bowl turning class at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts in Gatlinburg, Tenn. last month and was really looking forward to it but pulled a back muscle 1 day before leaving for class and had to cancel.
Woodguy class was very informative.
??
Maybe a lunch. Lodging would depend on what is available close by.
As long as the instructor knows his subject matter and can help with students hands on time, I'd be happy.
I'm used to a small shop so, as long it's not cramped and is well equipped for the type class being taught, it's good.
??
Depends on subject matter. Finishing class was 1 day, bowl turning was to be a 5 1/2 day class.
The right class for a reasonable price.

LOML usually goes with me and finds something to do while I'm in class, so maybe a map or lists of things to do (shopping, attractions fairly close by, etc.) would be useful.

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes Pete,

That's why i asked about other skills. We're looking at basketry, cooking, music, spinning, weaving, gardening, art. And on the "far side" maybe hunting, butchering, campfire cooking, archery, leatherwork... :dontknow:

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Oh man if your looking at all that my wife would be all over that also. It sounds like a great plan. Put us on your waiting list. ;) Are you planning on it being in the Greensboro area or somewhere else.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I know there are a few schools in North Carolina and a few fine craftsmen teach in their shop. But most folks don't seem to take many classes and I was wondering why.

I have taken 7 or 8 weeklong workshops-----most of them at John C Campbell folk school (I know you are familiar with them Mike) and with 2 nationally known chairmakers.
The atmosphere at the folkschool is great for learning. The class size at that time was limited to 6 students for the chairmaking class. Not too big and was an opportunity to get input and encouragement from other students as well as the instructor. Michael Dunbar's class was 12 students. He came in at 8am, gave his lecture and demo then left the class to his assistant. His emphasis was on production and he was much more business oriented. Dunbar is, without doubt, a craftsman. I paid to take a class with Dunbar----not his assistant, although, he too was competent. For me, the best workshop was a one-on-one with Curtis Buchanan. He has placed quality of construction at the top. BTW, he usually does not take students unless they already have some chairmaking experience . It was the only workshop that I did not completely finish the chair, but that was ok because I got a much deeper insight in some of the phases of chairmaking you normally will not get with big classes.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. If someone had told me 5 years before I started taking workshops that I would pay that much to work hard all week, I would have said "you are crazy". But, it was a strong desire to learn the art of making a chair. And---if you want your work to compare with the masters, work with the masters. It is a perceived value just as the handcrafted chair is.
I expect a list of preferred lodging for students based on convenience and price, meals and lodging at the same place is nice though. You don't have to worry about what or where to eat. Just remember, if you ride the bus you have to pay the fare.
If the instructors have proven their ability and are able to convey the knowledge while making you feel good about being there, that is what is important.
If it is equipped with the needed tooling and equipment to give hands-on learning, that is all that is needed. A student should have the option to bring their own tools but the school should have enough tooling for those who do not have all the tools needed. One of the workshops required students to bring tools according to the instructors list, a very expensive list to say the least.
Most anything in woodworking once the interest has surfaced.
Being retired---it really does not matter if I really want to do it.
Create the interest----make it appealing in all phases---activity, setting, price............................

Good luck---------if you cease to dream, you die.

Jerry

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is something I have been thinking about for a long time and now I have decided to keep my farm, build a multi-purpose training center, several small cabins and build up our homestead.

While we may host some wood working classes the main thrust of our school will be homesteading skills.

There is still a lot of planning to do and I have to wait a while before any major building projects begin. But we are open to ideas and any help we can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS