wood planes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I told my wiife I wanted some wood planes:rolf:
She said if I wanted any I would have to make them:crybaby2::crybaby2:
So how do you learn to make a plane, just do it and learn from your mistakes.
I made one from scratch just to learn a little.
needed cutting steel for the blade here is where i got it
blade_steel.jpg

Cut it out the ground an edge with a wet stone so as not to loose the temper:lol:

used thicker and softer steel for the cap iron relived the back some so it just sets on the top and right at the cutting edge of the blade.

then went ahead and made the body
still got to shape the wedge some

plane_d.jpg

shaved a board to try it
board_smooth.jpg

shavings.jpg

then oiled it :lol::lol::lol:

plane_b.jpg

Does it work real good NO but it does work and I learned a lot so the next one will be better
thanks for looking

Monty

New User
Monty
Looks like a pretty respectable start. If you want to take a course on plane making, there are a couple of good sources right here on this forum. If you want to learn more on your own about making planes, a good place to start is here.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Looks like a pretty respectable start. If you want to take a course on plane making, there are a couple of good sources right here on this forum. If you want to learn more on your own about making planes, a good place to start is here.

Thanks for the link:icon_thum
I read everything I could find on the net.
But I missed that one

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Earl, I tip my hat to you!

You showed some serious ingenuity and gumption.

PM me your snail mail address and I would be happy to send you a few old plane blades you can use for your next plane.

The question I'd like to know, is how does that B&D saw blade cut now?

Jim

sapwood

New User
Roger
Earl,
That's taking the bull by the horns! I'm impressed. :icon_thum
Does this mean I need to start listening to LOML's suggestions :oops:

Roger

woodguy1975

New User
John
Very good start. I'll have some extra blades from my Krenov class that I will make available to NCwwers. They run $20 each.

John

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Earl, I tip my hat to you!

You showed some serious ingenuity and gumption.

PM me your snail mail address and I would be happy to send you a few old plane blades you can use for your next plane.

The question I'd like to know, is how does that B&D saw blade cut now?

Jim

Thanks I'll pm the address
The saw blade cuts just fine, but the saw seems to shake for some reason :blob1::rolf:

jglord

New User
John
Bill Anderson will be running a class and workshop on wooden planes with TWA in January - Wooden Hand Plane

Ron Hock got his start making blades for James Krenov at the College of the Redwoods and still makes blades and kits for making Krenov style wooden planes - Hock blades There are also links from this page to more info on Krenov planes like this set of step-by-step instructions.

I have a 12" wooden plane I made with Bill Anderson and it cuts beautifully and I'm in the process of completing a 18" joiner plane. You may not get to Raleigh very often, but if you can stop by the Raleigh Woodcraft, I'll be happy to let you try them out.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
As I recall, the RAF Mosquito was a plane made mostly of wood, due to metal shortages in Britain during the War.... pretty durable, because most anti-aircraft artillery expected to hit the relatively tough metal skin of contemporary military aircraft. rounds would pass right through the fabric skin of the plane, often not triggering the warhead!

I know, I know, different kind of plane.... back to your regularly scheduled, non-hijacked thread....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors