When is TOO LATE to call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Almost every night, I hit craigslist, usually after 9:00 PM. The other night an item of interest (read CHEAP) appeared about 10:30 PM, with a phone number. Being the gentleman that I am, plus my mother would have killed me for calling anyone after 9:00 PM, I waited till next morning to call. The lady told me item was sold, and picked up the night before, meaning after 10:30 PM. So exactly when is too late to call?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Depends...I'm like you though, if it's posted on CL and it's late I'll wait until the next morning. One thing I would do is to shoot them an email rather quickly with a phone number. I'd explain in the email I didn't want to call that late and that they should feel free to call me until whatever time I thought I'd pass out (unless it was something I had to have, then they could call me whenever they wanted!).

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I'd call as soon as I saw the ad, as you saw it at 10;30pm, unless the ad mentions no calls after, say, 9pm.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Almost every night, I hit craigslist, usually after 9:00 PM. The other night an item of interest (read CHEAP) appeared about 10:30 PM, with a phone number. Being the gentleman that I am, plus my mother would have killed me for calling anyone after 9:00 PM, I waited till next morning to call. The lady told me item was sold, and picked up the night before, meaning after 10:30 PM. So exactly when is too late to call?

Bruce - You must remember it's a different world now, not like it was... Although, one day I hope it will be again. Call after 10:30 PM? Yes you can

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
10:30pm is definitely too late. 9:30pm is still OK, but only if it's important. 10pm is my cut-off, unless it's someone I'm really familiar with.

I don't think it's a generational thing. More on how someone is raised. And moms are the same everywhere :)

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
People can call anytime

but we are not going to pick it up. The answering machine does all of the answering after 8PM. Just our family policy. The time spent talking to our kids, reading and relaxing before going to sleep is just to important to us.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Yea, I agree, after about 9 it's too late to call, I've had the same kind of mom you all did. I'm also glad to know there are folks that still think it is important to have family time too, that seems to be an ever vanishing thing these days.

cpw

New User
Charles
10:30pm is definitely too late. 9:30pm is still OK, but only if it's important. 10pm is my cut-off, unless it's someone I'm really familiar with.

I don't think it's a generational thing. More on how someone is raised. And moms are the same everywhere :)

Generally, I agree with Bas, but if I knew from the posting time that the post had just gone up, and I really wanted the item, I'd call even if is was 2:00 AM, presuming that the poster was at their computer and close to the phone.

My 2 cents.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
I agree with some of the other comments, generally 9:00 PM is my cut-off especially in the winter, maybe a little later in the summer when it's daylight longer. As for Bruce's craiglist inquiry, I may have went ahead and called, if they were posting ads they were obviously awake, plus I don't think they included any "don't call" times. ....especially if it was a good deal :gar-La;

gfernandez

New User
Gonzalo
My cutoff for calling someone I don't know is usually around 9pm. Friends/Family up to 10-1030 or so. It is usually not a problem as I am usually not up past 10pm anyway.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I wouldn't call them at midnight or anything, but heck, if you post something on CL, you should be expecting phone calls about it. If you want to got to sleep or don't want to be disturbed, cut your phone off or put it on silent. I don't think it is unreasonable to call someone after 9pm, but I wouldn't be calling them at 3 in the morning or anything. :gar-La;

medic

New User
john
I have to agree with bas on this one ,also the kids are not allowed to have phone call after 8:00pm (2000 for you military ) unless it deals with school and the only for as long as needed, war dept makes me come out of the shop by 8:00 for family time.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I have rarely ever made phone calls past 9 pm, or before 9 am unless the call was family.
If I ran an ad with my number, it would make sense to list the appropriate times to call. Kinda like flea markets, yard sales, etc. Lots of "professionals" will be there early and offer to help you unload or set up - so they have first shot at anything worth having... That sort of thing doesn't fly well with me and I won't buy in. But without guidelines people can't know and some will take advantage of a situation.

How early is too early?

Different people have different schedules. The boys at work tend to stay up later than I do. I get up early. I have let the boys know that if they wake me when they go to bed, I can wake them when I get out of bed. I even offer to fix pancakes. Course everyone knows pancakes taste best before 5 am... somehow the guys get pretty considerate~

wayne

New User
wayne
Just because an ad posts by someone late at night that does'nt imply that everyone in the house is up at that time of night. Phones ringing have a tendency to bother people that are asleep such as babies, elderly and children or a spouse that has to work the next day and once woke up have trouble getting back to sleep.

Wayne

RickC

New User
Rick
My parents taught me the same - unless previously agreed upon. I would go the route of sending an email saying I was interested and asking if it were OK to call.

Just because the poster is up late at night / VERY early morning does not mean the rest of the household is!! Ask the parent of a baby with colic how much they would they appreciate a significant other's phone going off just after getting them down! :kamahlitu

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
It doesn't matter what time I call lately, the answer is usually "Too Late", The guy just ahead of you claimed the item!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
10:30?????:swoon: I've been asleep for at least 1 1/2 hours by then!
Don't call me at 10:30 or you could get an ear full...:gar-Bi

mxracer

New User
Dan
Another vote for 10PM being my normal cutoff. I know if someone calls me after 10 they are getting voice mail. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS