What's wrong with this picture? [eBay]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

New User
Monty
Here's another one for your viewing pleasure!

1554a.jpg

1555b.jpg

This one is.... well, interesting. 8-O

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Not knowing anything about planes, I can only state the obvious. It looks like one of the handles is larger than the other one. I wouldn't think that handle configuration would hold up very well. I could see it snapping in half if you put any kind of pressure on it or the surface hot planing very well since the handles are spaced so far apart. I would think you would want the handle centered over the plane and not extending over the sides. It also looks like it would be hard to use...seems like it would tip up as you drag it.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I think the different size handles are just a matter of the camera's perspective.

Looks like an ancient scraper, is the blade missing?

woodguy1975

New User
John
Can you say slight modification. Nice little screw and nut replacement there for the handle is one thing. That peice used to be part of the casting. :) Looks like it was broken off and then creatively reattached.

That thing sure has a story. :)

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
I happen to have a #12 and a #12-1/2. So here
comes my observation:

It seems that the 2 side pieces that the handle
mounted on are attached awkwardly, to the
main casting.
I kind remember that the handle should sit in between
the blade holder and the knob that controls the leaning
of the blade. Here the seller showed only 1 end of the
plane. Is the other end missing?
For a good picture, check out the one from B&G:
http://supertool.com/StanleyBG/12.jpg

Monty

New User
Monty
Yea the blade is missing, as well as the brass clamping screw. Those are easy to substitute or replace. Also, someone put some sort of hangy thing in one end of the handle. :eusa_naug

But that doesn't even come CLOSE to what's really wrong with this little gem. Some of you guys are close with the handle attachment thing... now look back at the rest of the plane, and don't make any assumptions... :eusa_thin

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Because of the location of the handle, I "assumed" it is a type of plane that you "pull" instead of "push" (if there is such a thing). Am I close?

Monty

New User
Monty
Mike Davis said:
Was that made from a different plane?

Warmer.

woodworker2000 said:
Because of the location of the handle, I "assumed" it is a type of plane that you "pull" instead of "push" (if there is such a thing). Am I close?

Actually there is such a thing - you pull Japanese style hand planes. But this ain't that!!! :p

Monty

New User
Monty
Yep, we have a winner!!! That there is a poor No 112 that has been desecrated. That plane started out in life looking something like this:

No.%20112%204-12-2005.jpg
\

Hard to believe, ain't it?!?!? :cry:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well now that you look at it right it does say 112 on the front :eusa_doh: I just don't know enough about planes to say that is something different than the 12 that it is trying to impersonate. Thanks again Insom. for a fun and informative game of E-bay plane mutations.
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks again Insom :icon_thum

Now if I can only remember this stuff when I need it :lol:

Sapwood

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
dang insom is that your 112 in the pic? if it is does it work well and would you compare it to an 80 or not even in the same ball park?

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
other than the weight and handle-ability of course,,i was trying to say do they have the same desired results?

holy crap i just saw one on a website asking 300.00 guess i will stike to my no 80.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Man, frankenplane from hell. :evil: Somebody really wanted a #12. Surprisingly, with some work, it could probably be made functional though.:roll:

Monty

New User
Monty
NO!!! This is NOT MY TOOL!!! :lol: This was a random eBay auction that I ran across and figured ya'll would get a kick out of. To be fair, the seller did mention in the fine print that this plane had been "cut off", or something like that. The seller did NOT show any pics of the other end of the plane, though!!! That other end was the end where the tote was originally attached, and I expect it must have looked a bit ragged to say the least.

The plane probably does function, just like any scraper, since the sole still looks intact. However, the tilt adjustment knobs are all under the handle in an awkward position... not like on the No 12 or 12½:

IMG_0461.jpg

(that one IS mine!!! :mrgreen: )

I don't have a No 112, but if I find the right deal I would like to get one eventually. Based on all I have read, the 112 is a better designed scraper than the 12 or 12½. The tote/handle configuration is more like the traditional bench plane design.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
OH!! Sorry!! I thought that may have been what you got from the Fine Tool folks! :lol: :rolf: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors