What's missing??? Now added new pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
There is something that is missing in my table design, it needs something, but what????

End_tables_020.jpg

I am considering a lower shelf supported by two stretchers on the short sides. Debating over using Walnut or Sycamore for the shelf :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

Are the aprons too wide at 4", are the legs too thick at 1½" square??? Is the contrast between the Sycamore and Walnut too great.
Opinions and advice really appreciated, it's just not right in my eyes :icon_scra :icon_scra :BangHead: :BangHead:

Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Re: What's missing???

Bevel cut under the top would make it look "lighter" . . . but the breadboard might complicate that :eusa_thin

Also think the contrasting dowels will stand out more once you finish it, but adding more contrast might help . . . but how???

Roger

nelsone

New User
Ed

Dave, is there any way you could add some stringing to the to the legs and aprons? Using the Sycamore for the stringing will add the additional contrast and, I think, lighten the feel of the piece.

gator

George
Corporate Member

Slight taper on the two inside faces of the legs?

George

cskipper

Cathy

The contrast between the woods is great (which is good because that's what we are using on our living room tables). Are the legs tapered? Adding cross-pieces of sycamore might help.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

a small drawer? or possibly two suports front to back and some strips side to side as a breathable shelf using the sycamore for added contrast. or just send it to me an ill dooo sumpin wit it :rolf:

fred p

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Thanks all, I knew I could count on everyone for some good ideas.

Beveled top, probably would give me some fits with the deep tenons, and that's not a road I want to go down.

Stringing, I like that idea and have been considering it.

Tapered legs, great idea if I decide against a lower shelf or stretchers

Drawer, a little to late plus it wouldn't be usable where they will be located (the intersection of two couches at a 90º to each other).

I really am leaning toward a thin lower shelf supported by stretchers on the narrow sides. Either the shelf out of Walnut with Sycamore inlayed stringing, or just Sycamore alone. The big problem is that I am out of Sycamore. I really think that the Sycamore shelf will tie the top to the bottom best.....any one in the Raleigh area have 4 BF of Jeff's QS Sycamore to spare?????:eusa_pray :eusa_pray

T

toolferone

Will the lower shelf work were it sits? I really like tapered legs. I also like the idea of some string inlay to tie it in to the top.

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Tom, I am not sure if that would make the tables look better by association, or just draw folk's attention away focusing on the Italian dude wearing a skirt :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Plus I don't think that your wife would want you standing full time in my livingroom...improving the tables :rolf: :rolf:

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Hmmm, what about something like this but with the inside lattice work in Sycamore :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

everythingfurniture_1953_31512778

T

toolferone

Hmmm, what about something like this but with the inside lattice work in Sycamore :eusa_thin :eusa_thin

Okay, back on topic. I like the idea of open lattice, less chance of getting cluttered up and too dusty. You could have some fun with bent wood and curves with in the frame.

erasmussen

New User
RAS

I think some of the lighter colored wood, somewhere in the lower half, would balance it and look good, shelf, stringer, something??????????:eusa_thin

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

Thanks all, I knew I could count on everyone for some good ideas.

Beveled top, probably would give me some fits with the deep tenons, and that's not a road I want to go down.

Stringing, I like that idea and have been considering it.

Tapered legs, great idea if I decide against a lower shelf or stretchers

Drawer, a little to late plus it wouldn't be usable where they will be located (the intersection of two couches at a 90º to each other).

I really am leaning toward a thin lower shelf supported by stretchers on the narrow sides. Either the shelf out of Walnut with Sycamore inlayed stringing, or just Sycamore alone. The big problem is that I am out of Sycamore. I really think that the Sycamore shelf will tie the top to the bottom best.....any one in the Raleigh area have 4 BF of Jeff's QS Sycamore to spare?????:eusa_pray :eusa_pray

i can spare a little sycamore. how much ya think ya need?

fred p

clowman

Clay Lowman

Dave.. I have some sycamore. The problem is.. I am going to the beach first thing in the morning... you'll have to pick it up tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors