What things stood out about the crawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
What did you see that you liked or peeked your interest?

Items I liked:
Dick and Rita's view of Lake Jordan. All that visibility was gorgeous.

Dick/Rita's and Tom's dust collector being outside. If I had it to do over, my dust collector and my air compressor would be outside.

Tom's sky lights were awesome. They made his space very bright. I also liked his cathedral ceilings . Gave his shop a very large open feeling. His sliding door was quite smooth and better to me than French doors.

Steve Coles has a LOT of tools in a two car garage. A huge collection of power tools, hand planes, and Festool all laid out in a way that didn't seem "cluttered". He can say what he wants, but I would be he spent many many many many hourse cleaning up. ;-)

The "warmth" of Touchwood's shop. It just seemed like a cozy place to me. The pine floors, cabinet frames in douglas fir, it was a very warm and inviting place to me. Made me want to go home and put pine floors in my shop.

The compactness and usability of NC Scroller's space. He has a lot of stuff in a small space. He has done quite a number on tuning up his bandsaw.

Bas' general layout and the floor covering he had are impressive. If I can't have a wood floor the interlocking squares Bas has are the way to go. He like N Scroller has made good use of space. I wanted to see Bas' bandsaw set up, but he had a large crowd over while he was doing his resaw demos. Oh well, maybe next time.

The SHEER amount of tools, cabinets and equipment Doug Robinson has crammed into a 1 car garage stall. ;-) I didn't make it to Doug's for the crawl, but I have been there a few times. It is extremely well laid out and very functional.

I'm not sure who or what I have missed, but I know I have missed something. What did you see that "knocked your socks off" or gotta have one day?

Glennbear

Glenn
I also was a tad jealous of the natural light in some of the shops, my 3 little windows offer not near nearly as much as Tom's skylights and Touchwood's large widows complete with the view of two deer behind the shop!! The bare concrete in my shop now needs some thought after having stood on a wood and a tiled surface.:eusa_thin

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
That saw that you have is wishfull thinging, but I can't afford it nor have space for it. Wish I had that about 20 years ago
dick

rita541

New User
rita cunningham
I loved just looking at all the beautiful wood sorry if I drooled all over it but I just couldn't help myself, Also love the piece of curly maple that Touchwood gave me. now all I have to come up with a great project for it, I want to thank Travis for resawing it for me now it is three possible projects,
Rita

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I liked the way that Travis' shop looked on his property, it just seemed like it belonged there.

I would kill for the I-beam in Scotts shop

Tom finally helped me find a dust free place for my future stereo...in the bathroom.

I want Bas' Coke machine.

I want Dicks view of the Lake

I want Dougs DC system with the break down piping

Steve had, too many, neat things in his garage that I wanted, starting with the Makita lithium ion cordless drills.

But most of all, I want Dons skill level and patience, Don "That rocker truly ROCKS"

Jimmy:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
One thing I like at the shops wad the people. I really enjoyed your company. It was great. I agree with you Travis. Each person had challanges with their location, tools, type of work, budget, etc.

I was struck by Dick and Rita's reuse of materials. Their place is tailored to the methods and style of work.

Steve's place was almost unrecognizable. The layout is so different from the last time. I didn't even know they had opened a Woodcraft at his house!:icon_thum

I would never have guessed that Bas has been WW'ing for as short a period as he has. I was impressed with how he obviously takes the time to learn a lot about each tool.

As with Sawduster's shop, NC Scroller's shop is impressive in the quality of his craftsmenship and how he has acquired and tuned his tools and set up to maximize his skill.

Tom's shop for all the reasons Travis said. I also liked the deparate Table Saw spotlights. Plus the only parts cleaner I saw all day.

Don's shop was remarkable! The wood floors the wood on thye shalves, the shallow cabinets, the tool organization, the templates, the chair, and the fact that nothing was mobile. Don obviously planned his layout and knows his own work flow! That shop feels soooo warm inside.

I was impressed with how many of you fit in my shop at one time.

Travis's shop was as always a fun place to play.

Thanks everyone for hosting. I appreciate everyone's help, commraderie and participation. I look forward to our next get-together.

Doug

toolman

New User
Chad
Not much more that I can add. I did like the fellowship with all the people in the crawl, this is why I love this site, and it’s the people! :icon_thum

Travis – I love your Jointer, Table Saw, and Band Saw.

Tom – Your sky lights. In my shop I have 0 windows, no sky lights, not even a window in the doors.

Doug - great shop lay out!

Bas – Your floor tile.

Touchwood – Your wood flooring and window!

Steve – Hand tools, Power tools I love it!

Scott – I liked your Band Saw as well.

Dick and Rita – We were late getting there and did not get to see your place. But this summer my son and I are planning a fishing trip to Jordan Lake I will let you know when.

Adam my son enjoyed the crawl. We do a lot together, I hope when he gets 16 or so he will still want to.

Bas you are the one!!! :notworthy: Adam saw your game / card table, now we have to make one. Thanks!! :gar-La;

T

toolferone

What a great day it was!! Those that did not come missed out.
I also really enjoyed all the the different ways to skin the cat/shop. (Opps, more later I have a screaming baby)

T

toolferone

Travis thanks for starting this thread. I had the same idea.

Items I liked too:

Dick's I was very comfortable in a smaller space. It did not feel crowded even with all his stuff. I loved how quiet is dust collector was.

Rita's felt like an artists studio, oh wait she is an artist!

Steve's shop. I did not even recognize it. He has put a lot of time in to organization and it is really showing. I love the hoist (what a great idea someone had)

Don Patterson (Touchwood) I LOVED his shop. It is so warm and inviting. The pine floor and cabinets had a gorgeous patina that begged to be touched. I loved all the old iron in great shape. And that beautiful rocking chair WOW!

NC Scroller's shop is perfect for a scroller. I embarrassed to say I have the same scroll saw after seeing what he can do with his I should jut sell mine and give up. Great way he drills all the holes for starting the scrolling.

Bas's basement shop is laid out well with the odd space he has. I loved the floor and a great work bench (sometimes I think pine has a bad rap but not on his bench)

Doug Robinson's shop is right out of a magazine on great shops in small spaces and still have character

Travis's shop is somewhere between a hobby and commercial shop. Some really big tools on the commercial side and a great workbench on the hobbits side. I think Travis should win a prize for being man enough to not clean up his shop for us. It is what mine looks most of the time.

I am already looking forward to the next crawl!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
My shop impressions, in reverse order this time:

Travis: If Tim Allen was a woodworker, this is probably what his shop would look like. Some heavy-duty machinery for the grunt factor, and a massive array of hand tools and portable power tools to tackle just about any job imaginable.

The 16" jointer was impressive. It looks like a bowling alley. If it weren't for the knives, I would have run up and done a sliding belly flop on that beast. The sliding table saw was equally impressive, I secretly suspect that if you press the red button underneath the table the whole thing comes to life as a Transformer! :new_shockThe dust collector was undersized for the shop though, since I saw quite a bit of sawdust everywhere :)
Of course, the highlight was when Travis SHOVED a big piece of figured wood through the bandsaw. My Woodslicer blade leaves just as nice a finish, but only when resawing 2" pine. Not 20" hardwood! Holy TPI Batman.

It was good that Travis' shop was at the end of the crawl, or we may have spent the entire day there. I think we need to have a smaller "Tool Parties" as companion events to the future crawls (hint hint), so we can actually do some comparisons and make a little sawdust (actually, I just want to play with the Festool stuff....)

Doug: After much WHINING about how there wasn't much to see at his shop because it's so small, I was expecting a belt sander in a broom closet. What a great shop this man has! Doug has done an absolutely phenomenal job lining up everything for maximum efficiency, all components are easily accessible. The cyclone does a great job of keeping the shop clean, impressive duct work through out the shop. I also took a few notes on lumber storage, I should be able to fit a couple of hundred board feet in my shop after all. Clamp racks, router bits tray, saw blade storage, tons of great ideas there.

Doug is extremely modest about his own accomplishments, but his work shows great attention to details. His workbench has a few "scars", but quite honestly, I didn't notice them until he pointed them out. I saw quality joinery and great wood selection. The scars on his table saw on the other hand -get some spray paint dude. Gotta respect the PM gold! :)

Don: This was my favorite shop, I'm not going to deny that. The pine floors and cabinets are beautiful, and the massive quantity of 8/4 stock in all varieties provided a wonderful scent. Everything about the place just said "artisan at work". I also learned of this wonderful invention called "windows"! Natural light makes such a huge difference.

Don was an extremely gracious host, sharing his expertise, jigs, shop made contraptions etc. The chair on display was stunning. I may never possess the talent or patience to build something like that, but I am certainly going to try! Very inspirational. Between the pine, trash can separators and coffee, I felt very much at home :)

I tend to fall into the "I want everything category and need a 40x40 shop to house it all". Don's shop felt extremely "balanced". I'm sure he wishes for more space now and then, but I thought the blend between storage, power tools, hand tools and work surfaces was outstanding.

Tom: Tom's shop is HUGE! The man has a phenomenal collection of tools (both power- and hand tools), but it's easy to overlook exactly how much in that cavernous space. Two drill presses, two disc/ belt sanders, two band saws, the only thing of which there didn't appear to be two were bathrooms! The shop has fantastic high ceilings and a large sliding door, which makes it a very open airy space. I admit my basement shop sometimes feels a little claustrophobic, so this was great to see.

Everything was well organized, big 6" DC pipes, compressed air, lots of lights, both fluorescent and spot lights. Fridge, toaster, microwave, you can live in that shop! Tom also has the coolest place to store his bandsaw blades, namely around a working traffic light. I also liked his collection of hand planes, spokeshaves, cabinet scrapers etc.

Scott: Scott's shop is what I think most woodworking shops look like. I really like his scroll saw setup, with the workbench, all the tools within arm's reach, lighting, all very efficient. I wish had room for such a bench, to have a place to sit when doing intricate work. I also liked the mobile bases he built, I once tried to build one for my old drill press and it didn't turn out too well, it's not as easy as it looks. Scott added some material to the edges of the platform, as well as some centering blocks for the tool stand legs, it keeps everything nice and square. I was also impressed with the shop layout, having the table saw stationary and having the other tools roll out around it. I may need to swap some of my tools around to match that setup.

Scott also displayed some beautiful scrollwork, the detail is just phenomenal. I also have Air Cleaner envy. Those things are a lot quieter than I expected, one of the great things about the crawl was seeing (and hearing) tools in action. Can't get that from a catalog.

Steve: I had not seen Steve's shop before, so I can't really comment on the changes. Visiting Steve's shop is like being a kid in the candy store. There are so many great tools and contraptions to see, it never seems to end. It's a good thing some of his storage has doors and drawers to obscure things, otherwise we'd just have spent all day there drooling. So while munching on a donut and slurping coffee, I made a mental list of everything I still want to get for my shop. I'd include the list here, but it spans 1300 items.

The vise on Steve's bench is like something from a Sci-Fi movie (if they made Sci-Fi movies about woodworking). Combined with the crosscut-sled-on-a-winch, lumber rack and new air compressor setup, and it was clear the master Tinkerer lives here. Steve also showed his sharpening setup, the more I learn about woodworking and the associated skills, the more I realize how much more there is to learn!

Steve also donated some of his dust collection accessories, a mad run on the box o'goodies yielded some clamps, 4-to-2 1/4" reducer and a piece of flex hose, just what I had been missing!

Dick & Rita: Two shops for the price of one visit! I really liked Dick's setup, all that natural light is wonderful. The floor mats are a really nice feature, I have plastic tiles over the concrete floor, but I may add something like that in front of the workbench.

Despite having a full complement of power tools (including a drum sander!), the shop did not feel cluttered at all. Everything was centered around the table saw and a huge assembly table. It was very easy to walk around this center setup, great workflow with this layout. I also liked the clamp rack, shop project #93 on the list. DC, heat, ventilation, compressed air - everything was extremely well organized and hidden, this is how utilities should be done. I liked the router table and table saw extensions, two areas where my own shop is sorely lacking.

The scroll shop inside was terrific, going from crafstman to artist within the span of 20 feet. One again great attention on workflow and dust collection. Of course, I question why someone would want to be on Jordan lake with such a terrific setup, who's got time for water and outside stuff when you're woodworking! :)

Many thanks to all the hosts, I learned a LOT yesterday. :notworthy: In fact, this was the first time I saw a shop other than my own! :eusa_danc

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I too want to voice my thoughts.

Dick and Rita - His and Her shops at the Lake. Life is good. They may have a dirt floor and tin roof but everything is layed out with a great deal of thought. They took advantage of evey bit of space but even with 20 crawlers in the shop it was not crowded. Dick I loved your clamp storage system. For those who missed it, Rita is not only an excellant woodworker (scroller and intarsia) but also an accomplish painter.

Steve- This was my second time in your shop but the first time I could see any part of the floor. You must have worked long and hard. I think Travis wins the prize for the biggest toys but you win the prize for the most. All I saw lacking was a scroll saw. Are you sure you are not running a Feinstool outlet? Great idea to have one extension cord reel for 110v and another for 220v. I wrote that one down

Bas- I cheated. I had seen his shop before and on only 10 minutes notice. I have to tell everyone it was that clean the last time. I still am amazes me how you can get all those tools in that space but it all works so well. I am also amazed of his accomplishments with that little experince. It comes natural to you. I do need to come borrow your Worksharp when you get tired of sharpening your own chisels. I still think we can insulate and sheetrock your garage in a day. Just schedule a single shop crawl and offer imported beer.

Tom - I guess the best way to discribe it New Yankee Workshop in a city neighborhood. Even had a signed picture of Norm over the door. A shop equiped with running water and toilet. I would kill for all that natural light and all those storage cabinets. Also having your dust collection and compressor outside the shop proper is the way to go. When I build a real shop the sky lights, outside dust collection and power in the floor is the way I would want to go.

Don- Seeing the skill and craftmanship that you exhibt in your work I was not a bit surprised that your shop looked that way. It could be a cover picture for Better Shop and Woodworking. I'll even bet you did not clean up for the event. The wood floors, the equipment layout, even the way all the cabinet were hung to line up with the window trim shows the touch of a master craftman. I would love to stop over some time and just sit in a corner and watch you work.

Doug - Don't tell my wife but I will never ever complain about how much space I have for my shop. Not only you are almost working in a closet but it is all functional. Loved the concept of the slide out draws in the base cabinets and the bench tools that fit into the bench mortise. I plan to start on mine very soon.

Travis - You win the Big Dog Prize. I did not even know they made joiners and band saws that big. While I play was a scroll saw blade with teeth smaller then most rasps, you play with a 24" band saw. I bet you can't do fret work with it. Your work bench was something else. First of all it is trimmed with purple heart but not only do you have a vise but the bench top moved as well. You have stuff that I would not even know to dream about.

This might sound corny but I will say it anyway. We all have our unique styles and our shops echo those differences. Some have more money to work with or space to use or time to spend but we can all work togther learn from each other. This sharing is what makes this site so great.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I have to agree with scott that the best thing is getting to have everyone share their shops.

I have 2 more things to add to my post up top:

1) Dougs shop really does look like something froma small shops magazine article. He has made wondreful use of his shop space, especially his vertical space, height does matter. But I have one question Doug...SWMBO has obviously commanded use of the large section of the garage (I understand completely:lol:), but couldn't you have put the whole house vacuum system in her part:rotflm: ?

2) Steve Cole had the nicest snack spread that I have seen in a long time, I've been in good hotels that haven't had as nice of a spread. I'm sure it was the LOYL, so thank her for me.

Finally, I would like to thank the better halfs of everyone that hosted and attended, for without them this would not have been possible.

It was a great time,
Jimmy:)

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I agree with the thoughts above and came away from the event re-invigorated to do better woodworking. Thanks to all who shared and it was great meeting everyone in person.

To me, the most interesting thing was seeing how each person's shop reflected their personality and their specific interests in woodworking. Each was quite different from the next. But they were all good examples of making a workshop into a kind of tool itself, designed around that person's skills and interests. I was inspired to re-think my own long term goals and to focus my shop around them rather than my usual re-arrangement of pieces around specific equipment, focused work stations, and short term project work flow. Obviously flexibility in a shop is important, but the long view does wonders to make sense of things.

And thanks again to Doug for his leadership in setting this all up.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I didn't like the shop crawl- I hated it . . . . .

because I couldn't go :crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2:

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
I think I came with a different expectation than most and a different perspective. I am just getting into woodworking and don't have a shop to speak of. I have a few tools sitting on a countertop that was already there when I moved into the rental house. I wanted to come away with storage ideas (especially ones that weren't permanent fixtures to the walls). Boy did I get those!

Many people had mobile wood carts with slots for sheet goods and boards. Don's slide out bins under his work bench were a neat idea (see Jeremy's pic) and Doug had drawers on full extension sliders.

The different ideas for clamp storage were great! Some had them on the wall, Steve had a cart, and Scott had them clamped to the front side of his metal shelving (brilliant).

Don's shop was a true work of art and a true man cave. You could spend days in there. I think he has developed a habit that I need to adopt. He puts his tools away when he is done with them. (And they all have nice homes).

What I liked about Bas's shop was that even though it was small, it seemed that it was set up for ease of work. I need to get you to go through your spiel about dust collection when I finally buy a place that I can install some. I think Bas had some great tips about dust vs chip separation.

Doug's shop was the king of maximum use of space.

Tom's shop was another man cave. He had a dartboard, stop light, throne, great storage drawers/cabinets. I really liked the homemade router table/cabinet.

While impressed with all the big iron in Travis's shop, the thing that I enjoyed the most was his kid's work bench. (His own work bench was beautiful too with the purple heart). I think it is important to let your kids be part of your world and the kid's bench was precious.

Steve's shop was gadget mania! It rocked. Great use of space.
And thanks for the coffee and donuts.

NCScroller's shop was amazing as well. Tucked into a corner of his garage, he had everything he needed within a few steps. And the scrollwork displayed was great!

Dick and Rita, I am sorry I missed your shop/studio .. It sounds like I missed a real gem. Maybe another day.

Thanks for all the great ideas and the fellowship. It made me very excited about my upcoming beginner woodworking class at Klingspor's.

Steve W

New User
Steve
What more can I say that hasn't been said?

I drove all the way over from Alamance county for two main things: to meet a bunch of the folks who frequent this forum and to shamelessly steal ideas from what I saw.

To the second end, I will be:

Suspending some things from the 12' high roof inside my shop (Thanks, Steve!)
Building a workbench of SYP (Bas, your bench convinced me of its feasibility).
Relocating both the DC and the compressor into a new "wing" off the back of the shed (Dick, Tom, & Steve all had interesting takes on doing it).
Making some shallower wall cabinets (Don -- those were the most gorgeous shop cabinets I think I've ever seen!)
Redoing the layout overall. Doug, you've convinced me that I can do a lot more with my space, as you only have about 24 square feet more than I have.
I think I need more windows (Dick, Don, Tom and Travis have me convinced) and I may steal a variation of Dick's "flip the sides of the shop up" idea for handling long stock by strategically placing the windows so that the stock can stick out of 'em if needed.
I think my next power tool purchase will be a Work Sharp. Thanks for the demo, Bas!
Scott's and Bas' bandsaw setups have convinced me to order the height extender for mine. Actually, I think almost everyone with a 14" BS had extenders in. I gotta get to work on these! Bas, what was the brand of blade you had on there?

Steve, thanks again for the DC hardware. If any of it doesn't get used, I will offer it up here on the forum as a "give-forward."

:kermit: Steve

I had a great time!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Scott's and Bas' bandsaw setups have convinced me to order the height extender for mine. Actually, I think almost everyone with a 14" BS had extenders in. I gotta get to work on these! Bas, what was the brand of blade you had on there?
Actually, I don't have the riser block yet. It's on my list of things to get :tool: Of course, it also means replacing all my blades...not quite ready to do that yet....

The blade I use for resawing is a 1/2" Woodslicer, available from Highland Woodworking. I also have a 1/2" Timberwolf blade, it's good but I found the Woodslicer gives me a smoother cut. Of course, I can only resaw 6" stock, and I don't know much about tensioning, so factor that it when evaluating my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS