Walnut Poster Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hook

New User
Gregory
The intent here is to show the finished frame, not the print.

If I have to delete the pic that shows the print, please let me know.

Black walnut from my grandad's old stock. Entire piece is done on my table saw.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
The frame looks nice. I like the relief in the back to keep it from being too bulky/heavy. Did you use splines to strengthen the miters?

...the print is a great tribute! Very moving.

Chris

Hook

New User
Gregory
No splines, wish I'd thought of it. :icon_scra You can see the nail heads on the side view.

I'm starting to wish I'd used plexglass instead of 1/8" glass. I'm afraid to move the thing for fear of busting the glass.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
That is a beautiful frame. It is even more special since it was from your grandfather's walnut. If you can do that with a table saw, I would love to see what you can do with some other woodworking tools!

I did want to mention that personally I would go from 1/8" glass to thicker glass before I would go plexiglass. I made a swordcase several years ago and there are two thing I would never do again: 1) I will never use lexan (like plexiglass) 2) I will never use oak and try to stain it to look like cherry (my aunt in-laws request).

swordcase1.jpg

Lexan is high quality acrylic material with great shock resistance. I still remember one 3' x 4' sheet cost $75 at BORG. The problem was that after I removed the protective film off of it, you could see tiny mini scratches everywhere.

Amy

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice job, Gregory!
And the fact the walnut came from your grandfather amplifies it dearness :icon_thum

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS