Varnish Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I was working late in the shop and used what I had on the shelf....

My varnish is still tacky after 12 hours. The can says dry in 5 hours, usable in 8. What can I do to salvage my piece within the next 24 hours?

Material: MDO
Two coats of Zinsser Primer
3-4 coats of an acrylic paint called Gleam by Delta Ceramcoat

On other pieces I had used Helsmsman spray Spar Urethane to seal the Gleam from the elements (the pieces are going outside on a Christmas display). I got a great weatherproof coat from the spray, but ran out and decided to finish the last pieces with the Varnish I already had on hand. It's still very tacky to the touch almost 12 hours later.

Based on scheduling I must have a finish dry enough to install lights on the pieces by 4:30 tomorrow. (I have a boom truck already set to install the pieces on the roof of our church.)

Any ideas out there on what I need to do to salvage my project within my timeline?

Thanks for any suggestions.....
Hugh

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Hugh
I will not be much help with this one but I am sure that someone here will have some suggestions.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
Hugh, the temperature may be a factor in this , but it sounds like you have combined two "paints" that are having a chemical reaction that is preventing the varnish top coat from drying properly. I had this happen once and it really never did dry completely a year later.
Sorry that I can't be more help. I think that the heat will help some, but not ever fully dry the paint varnish combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS