turning parts for ladder back chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

wood_doc

New User
jeff
hi, i'm new to the forum here. my shop is in my one-car garage; and as such, i don't have room for a nice big lathe. so i rely upon the delta midi lathe, for which i have a bed extension. i'm getting ready to start making my dining room (harvest table, 6 ladder back chairs, and china hutch). my problem is making the back posts for the ladder back chairs. they'll be 42 inches high. unfortunately, even with the bed extension for the mini lathe, the maximum length the lathe can handle is 37 inches. i'm wondering if anyone has any solution.

two possible solutions i've thought of are 1) turning each post in 2 parts, but i fear this will significantly reduce the strength of the post; and 2) buying a second bed extension for the mini lathe, but i'm not sure if you can add a second bed extension or not. even so, with stock that long, there's a chance of a significant wobble effect that will making turning a consistent diameter difficult. i've heard about a device i believe is called a "steady rest" that can be used on lathes for long stock--it can be placed in the center of the workpiece to support it. but i'm not sure where to get one or whether it would fit on a mini lathe.

if anyone has any other ideas or anything to add, it would be much appreciated.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
You might consider having a local machine shop or welding shop fabricate a longer bed extension for the midi. I have a old rockwell 46 - 111 and I can turn over 6' between centers with my extension. I made a steady rest for when I turn small spindles but for larger turnings, I don't find that I need it. If you do get another extension, you want to be sure the spur drive center and the center on the tail are in line with each other before you bolt the extension down to the bench or table.

Mike

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Sorry Jeff, but I can't offer a solution as I am not a turner!

But,,,,,,,,,,,welcome to the site, We have a bunch of turning folks here that I am sure could offer some advice. Your project sounds pretty adventerous and I wish you all of the very best! You will have to show us some WIP pics if you get a chance.

Have fun and post often!

Wayne

wood_doc

New User
jeff
thanks for the responses, guys. if i was to make my own steady rest, where can i buy appropriately sized roller bearings? i looked at a few websites and couldn't find any.

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
wood doc, lots of guys use wheels from inline skates to make steady rests. the urethane doesn't mark the wood much and the bearings are pretty good. maybe you could find a used skate at a Play It Again, a used sporting goods outlet.

phillip

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Unfortunately you can't add a second bed extension to the delta mini lathe. I had that smart idea too, untilI looked at the extension. It won't allow you to do that. What some of the other guys reccommended is probably best.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
[quote=, the maximum length the lathe can handle is 37 inches. i'm wondering if anyone has any solution.
if anyone has any other ideas or anything to add, it would be much appreciated.[/quote

Jeff------with it being a mini lathe you may be able to mount it to a longer bench and laminate a mount for the tailstock from plywood. With careful alignment for centerline/height---I think it would work. It would be an independent mount for the tailstock and bolted securely to the workbench. It amounts to the same thing as an extension.

You mentioned already having a bed extension so you may be able to make a spacer (like a box beam)to bolt between the original bed and the extension. That would provide a better mount for the tailstock since it would be on the metal bed extension. The box beam would not have to be the same height as the machine bed, it just needs to be fastened securely at each end to hold the beds together with the extension paralell and on the same plane as the original lathe bed. Just a thought:idea: ---but I think it would work. You would also have to improvise a tool rest for the added length---a good hard wood fastened to Lshaped plywood w/adequate corner bracing will do that. Been there--done that.

Jerry

Last edited:

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Hi Jeff,
You do have an alternate solution, no one has mentioned.

Most tail stocks and live centers for them are hollow. They allow you to pass thru a hand drill bit made for this application. You can buy extra long bits for this.

You will make your spindle in two halves. One will have the mortise hole, and the other will have the tenon dowel. You will glue these 2 halves together once they are finished.

What you do is drill your workpiece so that the centerpoint of the live center goes in deep enough so that the cup center will contact the end of your spindle firmly and mark the cup on that end of the spindle.

Dismount the spindle, remove the center point from your live center. Now mount the spindle back on the lathe using the cup center and align the cup mark to the cup center. Now you have a pass thru for the drill bit.

You will have to measure or consult your lathe manual to determine the maximum size of drill bit you can safely pass thru your tail stock. Drill with this extra length bit at least 1" into the end of your spindle. This method will give you a perfectly centered hole.

Next you turn the other half of your spindle and create a tenon that will fit the mortise hole you drilled.

Use an epoxy based glue to assemble the two parts. Be sure to wipe of any excess glue before it dries. Its very hard to remove it once it has dried on your wood, and you wont have the luxury of sanding it off on the lathe.

cad

brent innc

New User
Brent
You could use rooler blade wheels. They come in different configurations for whatever type of skating the user does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS