Turning black palm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
so Mike (hpm67) offered to let me borrow his time and bandsaw and in talking with him I asked if he would turn a pen and pencil with me, well he said he'd love to!!:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_clap...so today we meet up at Woodcraft. I grabbed a black palm blank to turn one out of. I opened the package and I can pull splinters off the blank as it is so I did some searching on here and found were one and "exploded" while being turned. Does anyone have any pointers on turning this stuff? It looks like it'll turn a neat pen, as long as it stays in one piece.

Thanks in advance!!!

~Phillip

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Hey Phillip...let me first say that I have never turned a palm pen, yet, but I have a blank iin the shop. apparently, palm is a lot like a bunch of grass. The best suggestion would probably be to drizzle thin CA glue into the blank as you turn it. Turn it on a slower speed with sharp tools to keep it from exploding. Stop periodically to keep applying glue.

Where do you live? I would be happy to have you come over sometime and we could work on it together, if you are interested... I can't be too far away from you. I practically live within walking distance to Lowe's Motor Speedway.

Cheers,
Chris

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Is that an offer to use your shop to turn some pens?:lol: I don't want to wear my welcome out at Mike's :eusa_pray

I was perusing your album...that corn cob pen is AWESOME!!

Thanks for the advice!!

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Can you say CA glue? :lol: I've turned a few palm pens and man what a challenge. I can only offer that I had to keep a sharp skew and lots of thin CA handy to get through it. I actually got through one without glue and it cracked like glass within a week. Lovely wood, but not my favorite to work. Good luck!

Bob

MikeH

New User
Mike
Phillip will be headed to get thin CA tomorrow. I'll be sure and keep the chisels sharp. What speed would you recommend to turn it? I have six speeds (430, 810, 1,230, 1,810, 2,670, 3,900) :eusa_danc Any recommendations on drilling the blank? Sharp bit? :lol:

MikeH

New User
Mike
Is that an offer to use your shop to turn some pens?:lol: I don't want to wear my welcome out at Mike's :eusa_pray

I was perusing your album...that corn cob pen is AWESOME!!

Thanks for the advice!!

Ok Chris....I have to ask. How did you do the corn cob pen? CA or did you encase it in something?

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
My attempt would probably be the 1230 range...but 3900 would be a lot more exciting :rotflm: Drilling would be slow...backing off regularly to keep it from getting too hot...

Woodguy is the master corn cob guy...he stabilizes the corn before turning it and can share with you the process that he uses. The one that is in that picture was stabilized and turned nicely, but it does still require a ton of CA. I have successfully turned unstabilized, too, but it is riskier...fwiw. Eagle has a great thought around this...something along the lines of you should always add more CA to the blank immediately before blank explodes...lol

Cheers!
Chris

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Phillip will be headed to get thin CA tomorrow. I'll be sure and keep the chisels sharp. What speed would you recommend to turn it? I have six speeds (430, 810, 1,230, 1,810, 2,670, 3,900) :eusa_danc Any recommendations on drilling the blank? Sharp bit? :lol:
MAke sure EVERYTHING IS SHARP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
after drilling (do not drill all the way through the blank)
Do not drill all the wasy through the blank.
Pour some CA in the blank and cover with clear packing tape,
HOld the blank between thumb and inddex finger(thats the readon for the tape) and turn hrizontal and revolve.
Put it a a spring clamp vertical and go frill the other half.
Pur the CA from the first blank into the second and repeat the process.
Spray accelerator into the hole and wait a few minutes.
Ream out the first blank withthe same drill bit you used to drill the hole(I normally do this by hand.
Take the tube for this blank , mark a cut line and cut the end off.
Dry fit the tube.
If it fits o.k. glue the tube in with CA.I plug the tube with wax, and put the CA IN THE BLANK. I have found that more glue is spread if you put the glue in the blank rahter than on the tube. the wax will act as a plunger and disperse the glue in the blank, better glue coverage.
Hit the ends with accelerant.
BEFORE you do the same thing to the second half mill the first blank with the tube in it. Put it on the mandrel with bushings.Now take the second blank, remove the tape and slowly pour the CA from it onto the first blank trying to get as much of the blank stabilized as you can.use more CA if necessary(It will be necessary)
Repeat the same process for the second half.
The blanks are now ready to turn and you have done everything you can to make sure it won't blow out or crack after it is finished.(praying never hurts)
One last thought it doesn't hurt to knock off the corners of the blank with the band saw or a jig on a table saw.Sanding melts the CA.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Black palm 8-O 8-O 8-O why don't you just start out with some Snakewood :lol: I've got some Red Palm and some Dymondwood sitting in my blank collection waiting for the day I feel like really frustrating myself :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

I wish you the best of luck and request pictures...good or bad.
Dave:)

MikeH

New User
Mike
MAke sure EVERYTHING IS SHARP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
after drilling (do not drill all the way through the blank)
Do not drill all the wasy through the blank.
Pour some CA in the blank and cover with clear packing tape,
HOld the blank between thumb and inddex finger(thats the readon for the tape) and turn hrizontal and revolve.
Put it a a spring clamp vertical and go frill the other half.
Pur the CA from the first blank into the second and repeat the process.
Spray accelerator into the hole and wait a few minutes.
Ream out the first blank withthe same drill bit you used to drill the hole(I normally do this by hand.
Take the tube for this blank , mark a cut line and cut the end off.
Dry fit the tube.
If it fits o.k. glue the tube in with CA.I plug the tube with wax, and put the CA IN THE BLANK. I have found that more glue is spread if you put the glue in the blank rahter than on the tube. the wax will act as a plunger and disperse the glue in the blank, better glue coverage.
Hit the ends with accelerant.
BEFORE you do the same thing to the second half mill the first blank with the tube in it. Put it on the mandrel with bushings.Now take the second blank, remove the tape and slowly pour the CA from it onto the first blank trying to get as much of the blank stabilized as you can.use more CA if necessary(It will be necessary)
Repeat the same process for the second half.
The blanks are now ready to turn and you have done everything you can to make sure it won't blow out or crack after it is finished.(praying never hurts)
One last thought it doesn't hurt to knock off the corners of the blank with the band saw or a jig on a table saw.Sanding melts the CA.

Black palm 8-O 8-O 8-O why don't you just start out with some Snakewood :lol: I've got some Red Palm and some Dymondwood sitting in my blank collection waiting for the day I feel like really frustrating myself :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

I wish you the best of luck and request pictures...good or bad.

Thanks for the advice Eagle! :icon_thum and encouragement DaveO! :slap:...Ok Phillip...8O ...I think we may save that Black Palm blank for another day....I've got plenty of other blanks we can use.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, the fun of turning pens is the ability to work with woods that you wouldn't otherwise use for larger projects. So what if it blows up on you, you're out a few bucks and less than a hour, and you've learned what not to do for next time.

I would go for it and make me eat my words..I double dog dare you 8-O 8-O 8-O

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Here's how one of mine turned out...

Attachments

• palm.jpg
    palm.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 167

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Mike, I'm up to the challenge, if you are. Can't say we aren't gonna turn it now, DaveO double dog dared us and you know what happens when it goes to a trible dog dare, you tongue ends up stuck to a flag pole.

DaveO, having never turned a pen, I wanted to get snake wood, just couldn't see paying $11 for the blank, guess I really know how to pick'em huh?

Eagle, Thanks for the advice!!

WoodArtz, I hope ours turns that well!! any pointers on how ya did it?

Thanks all!
Phillip

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Mike, I'm up to the challenge, if you are. Can't say we aren't gonna turn it now, DaveO double dog dared us and you know what happens when it goes to a trible dog dare, you tongue ends up stuck to a flag pole.

DaveO, having never turned a pen, I wanted to get snake wood, just couldn't see paying $11 for the blank, guess I really know how to pick'em huh?

Eagle, Thanks for the advice!!

WoodArtz, I hope ours turns that well!! any pointers on how ya did it?

Thanks all!
Phillip

If you want some real fun try a crosscut spiral segmented red palm and black palm
trivia_004.jpg

MikeH

New User
Mike
Mike, the fun of turning pens is the ability to work with woods that you wouldn't otherwise use for larger projects. So what if it blows up on you, you're out a few bucks and less than a hour, and you've learned what not to do for next time.

I would go for it and make me eat my words..I double dog dare you 8-O 8-O 8-O

YOU"RE ON!!!!!!!!!:-D

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Alright Eagle...now you're just being mean:rolf:

AWESOME

Chris
Not really.
It gave me so many fits after I assembled it I wasn't happy with it and threw the whole thing in a jar of acetone.
It was a pretty blank though.
I shoud have known when the first segment didn't survive the drilling to turn back but I am a little slow about warnings like that.

Last edited:

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
You had too much time in blank preparation to just quit on it...that's one that you completely destroy before giving up on...even then, you hope it's not Humpty Dumpty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS