turbine HVLP opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhett

New User
rhett
Any opinions on a good turbine hvlp system. My "boss" is getting less and less courteous with his spray booth. :crybaby2: I will only be spraying sealers/laquers. Thanks.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Got an Apollo 800. It is pretty nice, turbine is a bit loud. The gun has a suction cup (I don't like gravity feed guns, can't set them down, spill easily). The gun is all metal, no plastic parts. It is easily cleaned.
Spray pattern is adjustable.
If I had to do it over again, I would take a closer look at conversion guns to use with my compressor. On the other han, the trubine is nice since it runs of 110V and is very protable.

my 2 cents

Bernhard

woodguy1975

New User
John
I like turbine guns because the air is clean and dry compared to a compressor driven system where you have to worry about contaimination from your compressor. The absolute best turbine system in my opinion is the Accuspray. You can get it from Homestead Finishing Products Home Page. The accuspray gun is great. I have a fuji Q3 system and have upgraded to the Accuspray
gun. The Accuspray gun can also be compressor driven for a pressure pot if needed. I like having multiple guns so you don't have to worry about contamination. My Accuspray is my WB gun. I two Fuji guns for Solvent based and have a little detail gun for spraying dyes and toner.

Good Luck,

John

rhett

New User
rhett
I ordered the fuji Q3 b/c I got a deal and a #3 needle free. Is hot air from the turbine ever a problem when shooting laquer?

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Contrary to Woodguy, I have had a couple of Accuspray and I wouldn't have another one in my shop! They SUCK. I don't have the address here at the house, but check out American Turbine.com. Their machines are reasonable, very quiet, and after 10 yrs. had had absolutely no problems. Their guns are also so far superior there is no comparison.
Jim in Mayberry

woodguy1975

New User
John
Contrary to Woodguy, I have had a couple of Accuspray and I wouldn't have another one in my shop! They SUCK. I don't have the address here at the house, but check out American Turbine.com. Their machines are reasonable, very quiet, and after 10 yrs. had had absolutely no problems. Their guns are also so far superior there is no comparison.
Jim in Mayberry

I'm surprised at your response Jim. Accuspray always gets top reviews. You are the first negative review that I've seen. So in efforts of dealing with opinions and not absolutes, they weren't the best for you.:rolf:

I absolutely love mine. I've tried Apollo, Turbineair, Wagner, Lemmer, Fuji, ...... and a few other conversion guns and always went back to the Accuspray for accurate fluid and fan control.

In fact this is the first time I've even heard of American Turbine. I've never seen one review of their systems. I'd be interested in taking a look at one some day out of curiousity to see everything available.

John

Last edited:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Funny thing about tools, those that really use them seem to have strong opinions. I have not used the turbine-type equipment so can't comment on them. But, in 35+ years of spraying with conventional and airless equipment, the conventional side always seemed to boil down to Binks vs DeVilbiss. Very talented painters would swear by one and cuss the other. When HVLP came in, the conflict continued. Today, DeVilbiss owns both (bought out Binks), but still produces conventional and HVLP under both names with the original model lines because the loyalties are so strong. The reality is that the designs have been copied so long that there are several off-brand guns that spray just as well, are as easy to maintain, but cost much less. Replacement parts aren't as readily available, and they aren't as durable in a commercial, all day every day environment, but work well for the small one-man business scenarios.
Different strokes for different folks.

My $.000002 worth:lol:

Go

woodguy1975

New User
John
Funny thing about tools, those that really use them seem to have strong opinions. I have not used the turbine-type equipment so can't comment on them. But, in 35+ years of spraying with conventional and airless equipment, the conventional side always seemed to boil down to Binks vs DeVilbiss. Very talented painters would swear by one and cuss the other. When HVLP came in, the conflict continued. Today, DeVilbiss owns both (bought out Binks), but still produces conventional and HVLP under both names with the original model lines because the loyalties are so strong. The reality is that the designs have been copied so long that there are several off-brand guns that spray just as well, are as easy to maintain, but cost much less. Replacement parts aren't as readily available, and they aren't as durable in a commercial, all day every day environment, but work well for the small one-man business scenarios.
Different strokes for different folks.

My $.000002 worth:lol:

Go

I have an offbrand HVLP gun made by Vapor from Notherntools. It is totally stainless and fuctions very well. For $80 you can get two full size guns with different tips and a detail gun. That being said I still prefer turbine guns so I don't have to worry about my air supply being clean and dry. As long as you have a filter on your supply you'd probably be alright, but a turbine is always ready and waiting.

John

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Turbinaire

Since no one has brought up Turbinaire, I thought I would wade in. I have had one for about 3 1/2 years, I bought the extra needle set too. I met a representative from the company at a Woodcraft in VA, and he explained some details to me. I love the system. It is not noisy, is easy to clean, and with the right needle combination and dilution can even spray latex paint.

Doug

woodguy1975

New User
John
I agree that turbineair turbines are quiet and very nice build quality. I just never liked their guns. That is the most important thing for a potential buy outer there. Pick up the guns and figure out which one feels best in your hand, because a turbine is a turbine for the most part. All will spray just fine given some basic knowledge so what feels good to you and natural for adjustments is the one you should get.

Good Luck,

John

rhett

New User
rhett
Got the Q3 in and used it to spray some cabinet parts. Worked well after dialing in the gun. Turbine is as loud as my shop vac, thats a plus. Was a little disappointed with all the plastic on the gun, not a fan of plastic threads on metal. I quess the money was really spent on the turbine not the gun though.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Question - Does anyone know anything about the HVLP setup Woodcraft has for $99.99. Asked at the Charlotte store and they (the guys working at the time) didn't know anything about it.

pete

woodguy1975

New User
John
It is just a single stage system. Not enough power to spray anything heavier than lacquer or shellac. I'm assuming your are talking about their little turbine HVLP system. If you are in that price range consider one of the conversion guns out there. Vapour has a good Binks copy you can get for a very good price from Nothern Tools.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks for the reply John.
Shellac and lacquer is what I want it for - (and maybe some gloss poly) :lol::lol:
So you think it would be OK for that? I like the compact size.

The conversion gun would be a good option but I don't have a compressor.

pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS